SIG Talk banner

Milling for optics's, RMR, Romeo, Delta...etc.

2685 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  USMC6872
When you have a pistol milled for an optic is it for a specific one will a RMR, Delta, Romeo, Vortex. Etc...fit on the same milling.
I'm thinking of having my P229 Hunter milled and I'm presently undecided as to which optic to go with but would like to go ahead and have the machine work done.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,987 Posts
I haven't had any mill work done as my only pistol with a reflex sight, an RMR is a FNX-45 Tactical, that came milled & with adapter plates for a couple sight options. Unfortunately, there isn't a standard sight mount spec.

Of course, it's best to talk to your gunsmith about your specific needs, but my guess is that it's best to mill for a specific sight. You'll want the lowest practical mount for your reflex to accommodate co-witness, and mounting to an adapter plate would raise the sight an eighth inch or so...

Cheers

· Registered
1,916 Posts
When you have a pistol milled for an optic is it for a specific one will a RMR, Delta, Romeo, Vortex. Etc...fit on the same milling.
I'm thinking of having my P229 Hunter milled and I'm presently undecided as to which optic to go with but would like to go ahead and have the machine work done.
Rather then get it Milled, I went the route of the "rear sight Replacement Adapter" for my SIG for the Bushnell Fastfire III. (which is my choice as best compromise). Then, after I got the base installed (Had to press the rear sight out first) I put 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive/Filler between the base and the top of the slide to act as a filler/shock absorber. After tightening the entire rig in place, and trimming the black from the edges of the base, it was as if it was a single block.

Yes, I was not CoResidentCool. But if you put a Supressor Front sight on it, you get decent alignment if you have a sight failure, or if your battery dies. (The latter is much more likely)

Total cost was $29 for the mount and $13 for the adhesive. And I can always remove things to re-sell the pistol.

Your mileage may vary.

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rather then get it Milled, I went the route of the "rear sight Replacement Adapter" for my SIG for the Bushnell Fastfire III. (which is my choice as best compromise). Then, after I got the base installed (Had to press the rear sight out first) I put 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive/Filler between the base and the top of the slide to act as a filler/shock absorber. After tightening the entire rig in place, and trimming the black from the edges of the base, it was as if it was a single block.

Yes, I was not CoResidentCool. But if you put a Supressor Front sight on it, you get decent alignment if you have a sight failure, or if your battery dies. (The latter is much more likely)

Total cost was $29 for the mount and $13 for the adhesive. And I can always remove things to re-sell the pistol.

Your mileage may vary.
Good information, where did you get the rear site replacement adapter and who makes it.thanks for the idea.

· Registered
20 Posts
Ricky I'm from picayune I have used the fast fire with the rear sight blade on a 45 and 9mm with zero problems for several years. All it is you remove your rear sight and install a peace that has two holes that is drilled and taped and you mount your fast fire to that, works good and looks good. I would send you a pic but don't how to lol.

· Registered
1,916 Posts
Good information, where did you get the rear site replacement adapter and who makes it.thanks for the idea.
RIcky
All 3 of the majors (Bushnell, Vortex and Trijicom) make these "adapter" bases.

There are several 3rd party manufacturers. I got mine direct from Bushnell for $29. You can also get them on E-Bay once in a while.
Total cost of the RMR I have on my "CPO" 229 was $235.

Mount, Base, and the time it took me to put it on.

Oh yea. I had the 5200 sitting around, but a tube would cost you about $10 at West marine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.