SIG Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
60 years ago I was a 17 year old USAF Weapons Mechanic.

.50 cal Brownings were the military aircraft gun of choice but the 20mm M39 was replacing it and the 20mm M61was to replace that.

.38 S&W .38 Specials were the Military and Police handgun of choice but the 9mm Beretta M9 was to replace it and Sig 9mm M17鈥檚 & M18鈥檚 were to replace that.

Today it seems 20mm rules the skies and 9mm rules the land.

If this is true, then why the heck is there such a shortage of 9mm ammo?

You would think dealer shelves would be overflowing with 9mm. They have had 60 years to build their inventory. 馃槶

Oh well, it looks like 20mm is even harder to find. 馃槈

Premium Member
60 years ago I was a 17 year old USAF Weapons Mechanic.

.50 cal Brownings were the military aircraft gun of choice but the 20mm M39 was replacing it and the 20mm M61was to replace that.

.38 S&W .38 Specials were the Military and Police handgun of choice but the 9mm Beretta M9 was to replace it and Sig 9mm M17鈥檚 & M18鈥檚 were to replace that.

Today it seems 20mm rules the skies and 9mm rules the land.

If this is true, then why the heck is there such a shortage of 9mm ammo?

You would think dealer shelves would be overflowing with 9mm. They have had 60 years to build their inventory. 馃槶

Oh well, it looks like 20mm is even harder to find. 馃槈
There was a big surplus/overproduction of 9mm for a while, which is why it had gotten down to $0.16 before the election and pandemic panic hit. Every election turnover seemingly brings about a panic, but this was a double-whammy. Sucky thing is that even as production and supplies catch back up, we may never see pricing that cheap again.

Reactions: hauki and ClayD

Registered
Haven't noticed much 20mm on the shelves lately. Just as well, about a 2 second burst from a M61 and I'd be broke! :LOL:

Registered
Most dealers shelves were overflowing, along with distributor and manufacturer warehouses. Then we bought it all.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't noticed much 20mm on the shelves lately. Just as well, about a 2 second burst from a M61 and I'd be broke! :LOL:
I鈥檇 like to see your backstop for that 200 rounds of 20mm. Hopefully I will be in a different county. 馃槀

Premium Member
edit, sorry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts