SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

So after some fiddling around, I noticed that there seems to be some dimensional and design differences between the mecgar italy 20 rounders vs the sig usa oem 20 rounders. Apart from the base plate of the mecgars having ridges up the front strap and the markings of "plus 2", it doesn't seem to have a 20 rounder count hole on the side, it only reaches 18.

Additionally, the biggest difference I noticed was the size. The base plates are of different thicknesses. Seems like the oem sig is 1/4 of an inch thicker even (approximately). Do any of you find this true? Haven't gotten to take them apart yet but are the followers the same size? I've always heard the mecgar's have smaller followers which is why they can have 18 round flush fits while standard sig oem have thicker ones, hence the 15 round limit of the metal base plated ones. Does this also hold true for their oem 20 rounders?

Also, as in the images attached, when inserting both mags, OEM sig usa seems to be more flush fit to the frame. The Mecgars have a space. When the mecgars are pushed up, it can be flush however its going back down. Is it really like this or is there a remedy? Just some nitpicking things. Nothing too big but would like to make it fit perfectly if I could. Both function fine with feeding and locking though.

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Looks like a P226 from the pics.

Yes, they do have to be different when you are buying them as "MecGars", as they are not supposed to be actively competing with Sig.

If they both come marked as Sig, then perhaps they just relabel the slightly different MecGars as Sig needs supply. Keeping a different design for the Sig tagged ones could be unjustifiably expensive?

I have both versions of 15 rounders for the 229-1, and it didn't occur to me to search for differences. They all fit and shoot, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, 226 tacops came with 4 oem checkmate sig branded mags. Heard some came with mecgars though, unsure if its the same mecgars that are sold separately.

Only the oem sig checkmates (larger) are marked with SIG, the other is just marked with p226 and mecgars since its mecgar produced. I don't know how different it is for the 229, but with the extended base pads, every cm counts since It's good to have an almost exactly flush fit with the magwell grips and have the same capacity, especially when carrying.

They're all fine though, I'm just a little picky on the extra space/gap and wanting to know if it happens on all 226's and mecgars and if there's a fix.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yup, 226 tacops came with 4 oem checkmate sig branded mags. Heard some came with mecgars though, unsure if its the same mecgars that are sold separately.

Only the oem sig checkmates (larger) are marked with SIG, the other is just marked with p226 and mecgars since its mecgar produced. I don't know how different it is for the 229, but with the extended base pads, every cm counts since It's good to have an almost exactly flush fit with the magwell grips and have the same capacity, especially when carrying.

They're all fine though, I'm just a little picky on the extra space/gap and wanting to know if it happens on all 226's and mecgars and if there's a fix.
Get you a Mec Gar 18 round mag for it. I "try" to conceal my 226 TacOps on a daily basis :lol:. I'm 6'2, 190lbs and an athletic build, but it doesn't carry much larger than my 229s do. I'm an absolute sucker for that front strap checkering. I've been spoiled since my first Sig 1911 and shooting my fathers 227. Otherwise I'd be carrying one of my 229.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get you a Mec Gar 18 round mag for it. I "try" to conceal my 226 TacOps on a daily basis :lol:. I'm 6'2, 190lbs and an athletic build, but it doesn't carry much larger than my 229s do. I'm an absolute sucker for that front strap checkering. I've been spoiled since my first Sig 1911 and shooting my fathers 227. Otherwise I'd be carrying one of my 229.
Yup, I'm a sucker for it too. The 18 rounders are great but they are in too deep in the well where the magwell would be the one that causes the snagging. Also try to conceal with also a relatively athletic build at 5'9 160ish. But any bit of help on gear would help since I follow the saying of carrying what I shoot. I'm actually looking into gray guns +0 aluminum base pads but would opt not to spend more if its possible. The mecgar 20s look great for the time being though.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
When I bought my TacOps, I immediately switched mine out to Mecgars as there was talk about the Checks not being up to par. Figured it was a way to have 4 for backup . . .

Reactions: BGOd42

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mec-Gar is always a safe bet over Checkmate.

The Mec-Gar 20s are just the same as the Mec-Gar 18s but with the deep +2 basepad. Spring and follower are the same.

The reason for the vertical lines on the front of the Mec-Gar 20rd basepad is because it is the same base pad they use on the 20rd Beretta M9/92 mags. The vertical lines match up to the ones on a 92FS or M9. I suspect the bodies are the same too but with different style witness holes and mag catches machined in.

Why the Checkmate 20s offered by SIG are so long is anybody's guess. For that reason alone I'd never use them over an 18rd Mec-Gar, 2 extra rounds and several inches longer? No thanks. Ironically Beretta is offering a factory 20rd magazine now also that is very long like the SIG/Checkmate P226 one.

Either OEMs err on the side of caution when it comes to spring strength per round or Mec-Gar has got some magic juju going on.

When I realized the Mec-Gar 20s had the same spring as the 18s I stopped buying them. I only have two left now and just use them as range toys. I never had a problem with them and have never seen anyone say they did but I'm super OCD.

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Reactions: Rock185 and BGOd42

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I bought my TacOps, I immediately switched mine out to Mecgars as there was talk about the Checks not being up to par. Figured it was a way to have 4 for backup . . .
Mec-Gar is always a safe bet over Checkmate.

The Mec-Gar 20s are just the same as the Mec-Gar 18s but with the deep +2 basepad. Spring and follower are the same.

The reason for the vertical lines on the front of the Mec-Gar 20rd basepad is because it is the same base pad they use on the 20rd Beretta M9/92 mags. The vertical lines match up to the ones on a 92FS or M9. I suspect the bodies are the same too but with different style witness holes and mag catches machined in.

Why the Checkmate 20s offered by SIG are so long is anybody's guess. For that reason alone I'd never use them over an 18rd Mec-Gar, 2 extra rounds and several inches longer? No thanks. Ironically Beretta is offering a factory 20rd magazine now also that is very long like the SIG/Checkmate P226 one.

Either OEMs err on the side of caution when it comes to spring strength per round or Mec-Gar has got some magic juju going on.

When I realized the Mec-Gar 20s had the same spring as the 18s I stopped buying them. I only have two left now and just use them as range toys. I never had a problem with them and have never seen anyone say they did but I'm super OCD.
Here is a comparison I put together back in 2015 to help visually identify high-capacity mags sold with SIGs.

TIP: Visually Identify High-Capacity P226 Magazines

Thanks for all the input. Didn't know it was the same pad they use for the 92s but I remembered its the same for the CZs.

Heard some talk back that checkmate oems have a bigger follower, so I'm guessing that's why they need such a big base pad to fit the same amount of rounds.

My checks run well, hope they continue to do so, but I've always been a fan of Mecgars and will only buy them rather than anything else. Quality is superior while price is cheaper too for where I'm at.

I saw the link you posted on identifying marks way back when. However I never really knew about the dimensional differences between the base pads until I noticed it recently.

Is the "gap" between the frame and the mecgar +2 base pad normal as pictured above? Does all of yours exhibit the same? If not, is there a fix or a remedy? Just some OCD stuff kicking in lol

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I bought a Mec-Gar branded 20 round to try. Worked so well I've bought three more. Bought the for fun at the range. No issues at all.

Reactions: BGOd42

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mine have the same small gap.

Springs and followers are different between the checkmate & mecgar mags. I don't have checkmate mags anymore (sold them when I sold my tac-ops) but remember them being different.

The megcar tubes are the same for the cz75, m9 & p226. The only one you can buy spare springs for is the cz for some reason.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have Mec-Gar and Checkmate mags for the 226, 229, and 320. The external finish is slightly different, but I have had no feeding or extracting problems from either brand in several thousand rounds. I used to worry about whether the Checkmate mags were up to the task- now I don’t worry about which mags I have, for range or carry. I do prefer the 18 rds Mec-Gar mags for the 226 for the extra 3 rounds.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine have the same small gap.

Springs and followers are different between the checkmate & mecgar mags. I don't have checkmate mags anymore (sold them when I sold my tac-ops) but remember them being different.

The megcar tubes are the same for the cz75, m9 & p226. The only one you can buy spare springs for is the cz for some reason.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I have Mec-Gar and Checkmate mags for the 226, 229, and 320. The external finish is slightly different, but I have had no feeding or extracting problems from either brand in several thousand rounds. I used to worry about whether the Checkmate mags were up to the task- now I don’t worry about which mags I have, for range or carry. I do prefer the 18 rds Mec-Gar mags for the 226 for the extra 3 rounds.
I also do notice that the mecgar's are smoother. I guess its their anti friction coating. It's also way more resistant to wear. Both are reliable, but I guess the checkmates are just bigger/longer and have a worse finish. Only downside to the mecgars is the "gap". I wonder if there's anything that could be done to remedy it, gap looks weird and ugly. But I guess its not really something to lose sleep over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.