SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would document my attempt to make a MCX Virtus run with a Rattler barrel in case someone is interested in doing the same.

I started with a lot of parts I bought used:
-Complete MCX lower
-Stripped MCX upper
-SBX Brace
-8" MCX handguard

I bought the following parts:
-Complete recoil assembly/BCG from Sig
-SB 1913 Brace and Radian CH (used)
-Rattler 5.5" 300blk barrel from MidwayUSA
-Rattler Op-Rod from Sig
-Sig inert training device / faux suppressor (used)
-Rattler grip (used)
-MCX SD 12" Handguard (used)

Total investment: $2,160

So far everything has come together well and when its all said and done it will come out to be slightly cheaper than a Canebrake. If I could do it again, I'd probably wait to find a good deal on a used Canebrake or a 6.75" 300blk barrel.

I'm still waiting on the op-rod from Sig but will update this when it comes in and I get the chance to go shoot it. I ordered it a few weeks ago, it's currently back ordered with no ETA.

I added a basic picture, I'll throw some more up later.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
That looks great. I went a similar route but started before the rattler or canebrake were a thing.
The 6.75” barrel is the way to go. My OAL ended up being 21.5” with the stock folded. What’s your OAL with that setup?

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Interesting build - Congrats! Careful with that handguard over the muzzle. Suggest a hand stop - Wouldn't want'a lose some fingers there. Is there easy access to the gas valve? My 6.75" needs high gas running suppressed subsonics...

Cheers

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ll have to measure the length when I get home, I wish I could’ve found a 6.75” barrel somewhere that way I’d have more barrel options.

The end of the “suppressor” (haven’t gotten my actual suppressor yet” sits almost flush with the handguard. I might try a shorter handguard though. I’ve been looking at the Midwest industries one, do you guys know if it’s thinner than the Sig SD handguard? The one I have on there is pretty bulky.

As far as the gas adjustment, it doesn’t quite line up. You could definitely fit a little tool in there to adjust it without removing the handguard.

Pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On that same note, anyone have any leads On a 6.75” barrel? I’ve found the 9” in stock a few places recently but I think that’s a little longer than I’d like to go.

I was looking at the 5.5” rattler 5.56 barrel and the muzzle device looks extremely short. Does anyone know if the barrel is compatible with other muzzle devices? I’m issued a 11.5” MCX SBR for work so I don’t even know if I’d swap calibers on this, but it’s nice to have the option.

·
Registered
P226 Legion SAO, P229 Dark Elite RX, P365 , MCX Legacy
61 Posts
That looks great. I went a similar route but started before the rattler or canebrake were a thing.
The 6.75” barrel is the way to go. My OAL ended up being 21.5” with the stock folded. What’s your OAL with that setup?

Where did you get those hand guard covers?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I just ordered a karve and some rail scales in sniper gray to throw on mine. Should look nice with the gray upper/lower.

If you get time can you post some close up pictures of your MI hand guard, specifically how wide it is at the base where it meets the upper and at the muzzle end? I'm trying to figure out if it's as wide as the Sig SD hand guard I have.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Gorgeous.

Omega 9K? Which mount are you using with the suppressor (direct thread, or other?)

I plan on doing something very similar, but with a Sandman K or Wolfman in K length.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Gorgeous.

Omega 9K? Which mount are you using with the suppressor (direct thread, or other?)

I plan on doing something very similar, but with a Sandman K or Wolfman in K length.

Thanks. It is the Omega9k. On a 3 lug mount. IMO it’s the best way to secure the can with this setup. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I just found a good deal on a 9" .300 blk barrel and scooped it up. I contacted Sig about the Rattler Op-rod and they couldn't quote me a an ETA but said it is being processed.

At least the 9" barrel will give me something to shoot while I wait, if I like it enough I might just stick with it and try to recoup the money out of the Rattler barrel/op rod.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Only Subs won't cycle?

I was under the impression Supers still cycle?
Me too, that would be disappointing. I plan to throw a suppressor on it but it's going to be a while.

I just got a shipping notification from Sig that the Rattler Op-rod shipped yesterday, only took about a month which isn't bad at all.

So I should l have the 5.5", 6.75" and 9" .300 blk barrels by the middle of the week. I'll play around with them and hopefully settle on one. Probably sell off the other two so be on the lookout for that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I figured I would document my attempt to make a MCX Virtus run with a Rattler barrel in case someone is interested in doing the same.

-Complete MCX lower
-Stripped MCX upper
-SBX Brace
-8" MCX handguard

-Rattler Op-Rod from Sig
-Rattler grip (used)

So far everything has come together well and when its all said and done it will come out to be slightly cheaper than a Canebrake. If I could do it again, I'd probably wait to find a good deal on a used Canebrake or a 6.75" 300blk barrel.

I'm still waiting on the op-rod from Sig but will update this when it comes in and I get the chance to go shoot it. I ordered it a few weeks ago, it's currently back ordered with no ETA.

-Complete MCX lower
-Stripped MCX upper
-SBX Brace
-8" MCX handguard

-Rattler Op-Rod from Sig
-Rattler grip (used)

I want to do this same build. I have a Virtus and want to put the 5.5” Rattler barrel on it. Did it work for you? Anything you recommend?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts