SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm keeping the one on the top, 11.5" SBR, sporting a Romeo 4S (wanted a 4T but didn't want to wait any longer). The 16" Patrol version was very tempting. I do want a full length upper but that's going to be a while.

This part was a little more fun than I anticipated. Reaction rod and BEV block were no go. Used a barrel clamp instead. I did soak it in a heated sonic tank just in case, popped the wrench with a small sledge and she came right off.

And the final result.

Shooting a match Sunday and look forward to putting it through its paces. Only thing that would make it better is a fun switch. :cool:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Having an SOT does help. Got to put a little over 300 rds through it before tomorrow's match. Shooting 62 grain 5.56.

Started off dialing the red dot in. I use some 10rd M3 PMAGs for that kind of work. The rifle wasn't locking back on last round and I had about 3 misfeeds. These were the first rounds through it in anger. Switched to some 30rd M3 PMAGs. After a few mags the MCX started locking back consistently and I had no misfeeds.

Only ran about 60 rds suppressed, no issues there.

Overall, I'm very pleased. There's a little more work involved for cleaning but I think the trade off is worth it.

One mod I can see is a Geissele trigger and that's only because I'm spoiled. The charging handle isn't bad, but I'd like a BCM edition because I can't quite talk myself into the Geissele Super version.

Muzzle device after 60rds suppressed, 300+ total today.

Tear-down in progress. Definitely got to budget a little more time over most of my other rifles.

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Good initial range time! Wow - I had just assumed this was 300Blk. Shooting 556 in this <6" barrel must be exciting!! See why you went with the flash hider...

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good initial range time! Wow - I had just assumed this was 300Blk. Shooting 556 in this <6" barrel must be exciting!! See why you went with the flash hider...

Cheers
That would be a kick in the pants at <6". Fortunately, it's an 11.5" so much tamer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
HeavySig, great pics of some great guns. I have a couple questions for you.

1. It might be an optical illusion, but in your first pic, the forward assist on the 11.5" Virtus looks totally parallel to the long axis of the gun, whereas the 16" Patrol's forward assist looks like it moves at a slight upward angle (which jives with other pics of it that I've seen). Can you confirm a slight difference between these? Have you seen any other differences?

2. Could you report the weight of either gun (especially the 11.5")? I know that Virtus barrels and some other parts are heavier than the original MCX ones, I'd just like to know if SIG's weight specs are close to accurate.

Thanks, and congrats on an awesome acquisition!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure,

1. All optical illusion. The deflector/forward assist assembly is the same on both. Pretty slick how this is a part that you can remove. I'd love to put enough rounds downrange to justify replacing the deflector insert.

2. With flip-up sights, the 16" Patrol carbine weighs in on my scale at 7.8lbs. Specs say 7.9lbs. The 11.5" SBR, with flip-up sights, a Romeo4S w/ mount, and the flash-hider suppressor adapter, 7.4lbs.

The rifle ran great in yesterday's match. Would have tied for most accurate shooter without penalties, but I tagged a hostage. :banghead:

On balance, I was very pleased considering I only got it on Thursday. It's a keeper.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did a detail clean after a thousand rounds. Pulled the gas system apart to get an idea of how dirty it was at that count. Pretty good overall. 90% of my round count was un-suppressed.

Cleaned the handgard after ignoring that till now. Went from brown back to black around the gas valve. :p I've had the handguard off six or seven times. Still having to use a rubber mallet to persuade it off and back into position for that first/last centimeter.

Running the Virtus in the NRA/Winchester Tactical Rifle challenge. Having a blast with it and it's performing nearly flawlessly. Any minor glitches are partly user and partly magazine (it has some issues with the 10 rd magpul gen 3 mags).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dropped a Super MCX SSA Trigger into the SBR today. Went with the Geissele Curved version.

I'm curious to learn other people's pull weight measures on their stock Virtus trigger. Mine averaged 7.11 lbs on a Lyman digital gauge.

SSA trigger averages a nice 4.14 lbs.

Really looking forward to shooting tomorrow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dropped a Super MCX SSA Trigger into the SBR today. Went with the Geissele Curved version.

I'm curious to learn other people's pull weight measures on their stock Virtus trigger. Mine averaged 7.11 lbs on a Lyman digital gauge.

Did you have to remove the safety for install? Was it difficult to install with the bridge?

Thank you.

·
Registered
509 Posts
My MCX Gen2 had a gritty stock trigger pull of 10lbs IIRC. With the Geissele MCX SSA trigger, I’m at 4.5lbs total. Installation was easiest by removing the grip to relieve the selector detent pin and thus rotate the safety as to allow clearance for the trigger to seat. The added trigger bridge posed no complication during install.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you have to remove the safety for install? Was it difficult to install with the bridge?

Thank you.
I could see where that would be tempting but I just dropped the package in whole. Took a minute or two and a bit of maneuvering.

Really helps if you've got the receiver held steady on a magwell block or other method. Plus good lighting. That way you're not fighting other issues and compounding the fun.

Loosening the grip isn't a bad idea either.

Love the trigger!

Shot this afternoon after helping teach a morning class. Finished up Distinguished Expert on the Winchester/NRA challenge which gives me the triple (pistol/shotgun/rifle). Been wanting to knock that out for a while so not a bad Saturday at all!

·
Registered
91 Posts

My Virtus Trigger is ~4 lbs 14 oz on my Virtus Patrol. I'm in the process of building a video review and will have this in it as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.