SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is anyone here planning on attending the Oklahoma Summer 10K Run-N-Gun in Pawnee next month (Oklahoma Run 'n Gun -- Organizers of the Pawnee Run 'n Gun)? This will be my third time running it (I've run the Winter RNG twice) and I am RSOing it on Saturday (running on Friday). I also ran/RSO'd the Rockcastle 5K Run-N-Gun in Kentucky back in March (https://www.facebook.com/events/1776892339261414/) and it was a blast (pun intended, they were all a blast)!

Training:

Since Rockcastle in March I've been preparing for the Summer Run-N-Gun in Oklahoma. I will be running the 10k (more like 8miles since these folk aren't real good at math). I ran my DSA FAL Carbine .308win (heavy) for the rifle for the Winter Okie and Rockcastle Run-N-Guns. I am runnin' the SIG MCX 5.56 and my S&W M&P9 for this one next month. Trying to lighten the load since it will be triple digit and humid out. On Memorial Day Weekend I shot in the Remembering the Brave 3Gun match on Quantico (first true 3Gun for me) with the MCX and did well. Used it primarily for practice for July and to make sure the MCX is dialed in. They had a long distance stage with targets starting at 50yds, 150yds, 250yds, and 460yds(ish). The MCX did very well and I rang the 15" gong at the 460(ish) distance on the first shot. Shotgun is of course what slowed me down on all the stages. Only ever shot the Mossberg 930SPX in one other match (ZI3G) and it only has a 6shot tube so reloading was slow compared to the fancy "Race-Gun" folks (lots of race gun!).

Race-Gun scene on Quantico:

More Training:

Took the MCX and the S&W M&P9 out a few weeks back to check out gear layout. Gonna go shorts and t-shirt with minimal HSGI belt (Velcro inner belt through belt-loops), 3 Taco pouches, Safariland holster, three 30rd MagPul mags, four 17rd M&P mags (one in pistol). Only ran with gear on between the 200yd and the 10yd (and back out to 200) to feel how things worked out. Everything was great and the MCX plus lighter mags is a significant difference compared the the FAL I ran with for the winter Okie and Rockcastle matches! I started at 200yds and ran up to the 10yd line to start.

www.okrunngun.com said:
10K Only Bonus Stage I – Adversaries in the Foliage:* Shooter must draw pistol and get two hits each on two 8” targets from approximately 10 yards,*holster pistol, load rifle, and get two hits each on three remaining 8” targets from 15 to 50 yards.* Movement will be required to see all targets. (4 pistol, 6 rifle)
​For this stage I practiced pistol at 10yds on 8" plate and then moved back to 15yds, 25yds, and 50yds to engage same plate with rifle.
www.okrunngun.com said:
Stage 1 – Unwelcome Guest:* With either rifle or pistol, shooter must advance through two "rooms" and engage two cardboard silhouettes at across-room distances.* Shooter must get at least 3 hits in the 8.5"x11" vital zone in the upper chest, and one in the brain on each silhouette.* Targets will be wearing clothing which will make the torso hits difficult to observe, so be sure to shoot until you are confident you have the required hits.* Shooter must then proceed to a shooting box and flip the 6" head plate on a hostage taker target from approximately 25 yards to end the stage.* DQ if the required hits are not made on the cardboard targets. (9 rifle or pistol))
​I ran this stage with both pistol and the rifle to see which I prefer. For the cross room distances I chose 15yds to see what hold-overs were going to be for the rifle (which is probably what I am going to elect to do when I show up at this stage) and only had to hold a smidge high for both 15yds and 25yds
www.okrunngun.com said:
Stage 2 – Strong Hand/Other Strong Hand:* Shooter must advance to 1st position and get two pistol hits on the first target from approximately 15 yards, advance to 2nd position and get two hits on the second target from approximately 20 yards, and advance to last position and get three hits right hand ONLY, then three hits left hand ONLY from approximately 10 yards.* Targets will be approximately 12”x16”.* (10 pistol))
​For this stage I practiced all two handed shots at the 8" plate at 20yds and then the one handed shots at 15yds at the 8" plate.
www.okrunngun.com said:
Stage 3 – Rifleman’s Quarter Mile:* Shooter gets one shot at an 18”x24” torso target at 500 yards -- time limit one minute. *Shooter may then take one shot from offhand standing – no solid rests allowed, one minute time limit. This will be an optional shot – those who make a hit will be entered into a drawing for something cool. *(2 rifle))
​Practiced this at range 4 on Quantico the week prior at 600yds. MCX is dialed in!
www.okrunngun.com said:
Stage 4 – The Junkyard Revisited:* Shooter must hit two 10” steel targets at approximately 150 yards and one 12x20” target *at approximately 200 yards from three different obstacles that will require awkward positions. (9 rifle))
​Practiced this from the bed of the truck prone, side of the truck standing (supported), and side of the truck kneeling (supported) at 200yds.
www.okrunngun.com said:
Stage 5 – Can-do Attitude:* Shooter must deliver one ammo can from the “ammo dump” at the base of the hill to the flagpole before being allowed to shoot this stage. *Shooter must get two rifle hits from top of VTAC board (may use board as*rest), then get one hit through each of seven marked holes in VTAC board on a 12”x20” target at approximately 150 yards. (9 rifle)
​Practiced this through VTAC at 150yds at the 10"plate 3rds off top supported and 3rds through all ports.
www.okrunngun.com said:
10K Only Bonus Stage II*– Pipe Hitter:* Shooter must crawl under barbed wire and through pipe obstacle. *Firing through the hole in the barricade at the end of the pipe, shooter must*get three rifle hits on a 12”x20” target at approximately 150 yards. (3 rifle))
​For this I just ran through the VTAC again at 150yds.
www.okrunngun.com said:
2 minute time limit on all stages – Stage 3 is 1 minute*plus 1 minute for bonus standing shot.)
Didn't run times but tried to make movements and stages as quick as possible but controlled.

Past Sunday's Rehearsal Videos:

So I figured I would start the week off right with a Run-N-Gun rehearsal Sunday since it was 90+ degrees out. I did 5 stages of fire and ran 1.5 miles before each stage, so 7.5 miles total running.

I didn't video the run because I don't have a good GoPro yet and that would have been boring stuff that you would have had to fast forward through anyway. There was plenty of elevation on the run and I was sweating chicken grease, I think. The only real breaks were to start and stop the iPhone camera and to move it between stage 3, 4, and 5.

1.5 Mile run then Stage 1 - Pistol/Rifle:

1.5 Mile run then Stage 2 - Rifle:

1.5 Mile run then Stage 3 - Pistol:

1.5 Mile run then Stage 4 - Rifle:

1.5 Mile run then Stage 5 - Rifle:

After Action: 1. work on pistol, 2. work on ensuring I don't rest MCX barrel on VTAC and use the handguards in the ports (totally messed up my dope on the VTAC), 3. and most important - carry a rag to wipe the sweat that poured onto the eyepiece of the ACOG after a good 4-5 miles! It sucked looking through beads of my own sweat at 150 and 200!!! Ordered a cover from Trijicon yesterday!

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
WOW!! Great report!! Outstanding shooting too - Running with that kit must keep your thumper near max. Do you wear a monitor? Any tricks that help control your heart rate as you reach the shooting positions?

Thanks for post & pics!!

Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW!! Great report!! Outstanding shooting too - Running with that kit must keep your thumper near max. Do you wear a monitor? Any tricks that help control your heart rate as you reach the shooting positions?

Thanks for post & pics!!

Cheers
Thank you. I don't wear a heart monitor but try to focus on breathing deeply and controlled during the run portion and slowing heart rate through breathing control as I approach stage of fire. Earpro inserted helps with the hearing/feeling the heartrate a bit but can get a little annoying too. No real magic tricks other than training hard.

It is an amazing true test of man and gear. If you have never done one before, keep your eyes out and sign up for one. The folk you meet are some of the best around and it is really about your pace and finishing really. Warning, they are as addictive as the guns themselves.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Thank you. I don't wear a heart monitor but try to focus on breathing deeply and controlled during the run portion and slowing heart rate through breathing control as I approach stage of fire. Earpro inserted helps with the hearing/feeling the heartrate a bit but can get a little annoying too. No real magic tricks other than training hard.

It is an amazing true test of man and gear. If you have never done one before, keep your eyes out and sign up for one. The folk you meet are some of the best around and it is really about your pace and finishing really. Warning, they are as addictive as the guns themselves.
Gotcha!! Yeah, I try to do 5-count inhale/exhales in my (old man's) am & pm work recoveries - But, am sure my shooting would greatly s__k then too!! Your's is great training for extreme stress/deadly events. Thanks again for sharing.

Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like fun. I'll keep an eye out for my area.
Not sure how far you are from the Pecos Rifle Club (some of the same crew from Okie), but Texas is the birthplace! I have yet to run any off these, but plan too. Good friend of mine from the FALFiles (from Texas also) has run several of these and says they are just as awesome.

- Pecos Run 'n Gun in the Sun

- Home Page

- https://www.wtfbiathlon.com/

- Tiger Valley Matches - Bug Out DrillLLC (this one looks Awesome!!! and my friend from the Files says it was the most challenging one he has done)

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Not sure how far you are from the Pecos Rifle Club (some of the same crew from Okie), but Texas is the birthplace! I have yet to run any off these, but plan too. Good friend of mine from the FALFiles (from Texas also) has run several of these and says they are just as awesome.

- Pecos Run 'n Gun in the Sun

- Home Page

- https://www.wtfbiathlon.com/

- Tiger Valley Matches - Bug Out DrillLLC (this one looks Awesome!!! and my friend from the Files says it was the most challenging one he has done)
Thanks. Might be worth the drive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Range Report:

Went to Quantico today. MCB Team was doing XTC so I was able to setup paper on the 100yd line while they shot at 200yds, 300yds, and 600yds (100yds, 200yds, and 500yds for me). Wanted to make sure the SIG MCX was dialed in for next month and it appears to be on point and I know my hold-overs for the BDC at distances:

100yds - 40rds 77gr FGMM BTHP, 2" Target, Prone:

200yds - 20rds 77gr FGMM BTHP, 6" Target, Prone: first five shots low, aiming center mass with ACOG, slowing shifted up and back down to settle on figure-8 aim and in the black

500yds - 20rds 77gr FGMM BTHP, 8" Target, Prone:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oklahoma RNG After Action Report - THE MCX DID AWESOME!

So, I have run two Okie Winter Run-N-Gun 10k (almost 8 miles and RSO'd this years in January), one Rockcastle RNG 5k (RSO'd the AK/VTAC Stage)

...and now an Okie Summer RNG (RSO'd Stage 5). This past weekend was truly amazing. Great to see everyone there and to be around such a high caliber of people. This is honestly one of the most physically challenging things of my life and definitely the most challenging thing I have done since retirement.

I started out strong and ran very fast all the way to bonus stage 1 (plates in trees - pistol/rifle) and did well on it. I kept a good pace in the woods and shot stage 1 very fast (paper silhouettes and hostage swinger - rifle). I was really happy with the speed of my shoot until the RO said, "you dropped shot on the silhouette". That DQ'd my whole stage, DAMN!T!!!!!!!

Ran ticked off to stage 2 (all pistol) and made up a bit of my screw-up on the previous stage. Was really happy with my one hand shooting. Carried 44 pistol rounds and only used 17.

Spent the rest of the run to stage 3 lamenting about my DQ!!! Slowed down and walked a lot of those woods to lower my heart rate because I wanted stage 3 so very bad as much as I have been working on long range. Very very glad I did because after I walked the clearing I had no wait time. Laid down to take the 500 yard shot (you only got one), took breath, squeezed trigger, saw flasher, and screamed out loud in joy! Only 10 people total in the entire match made that shot! I did it in 15 seconds and am very proud of my work on that shot!

Run from stage 3 to stage 4 was brutal (did I mention it was 104 degrees and humid?). Walked a lot of the demoralizing road up to hell trying to catch my friend from Texas. Made it to stage 4 and got a little wait time and did good on that stage even though I banged my head very hard on the crossbeam in the house when I stood up to move to the louvers. RO screamed "holy **** that looked like it hurt so bad!!!", It did and I still have an egg sized knot on my grape.

Ran/walked to the ammo cans at stage 5, carried that heavy POS all the way to the top of the hill without stopping and shot the VTAC pretty fast after a little wait time and a tire flip. Out of water now and man I was feeling that!!!

The hike to bonus stage 2 (barbed wire and tunnel of love) was brutal. That stage sucked so much too. Elbows and knees are still toast. From there it was just a task to keep moving knowing I was going to get a drink soon at the finish.

All in all this was truly awesome in so many ways. Placed 12th overall out of what looks like 60 10k runners. Carried 60 rifle rounds and used 50. Should have used 4-5 more as insurance on the silhouettes on stage 2, but hindsight is always 20/20! I can't wait for January!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congratulations and thanks for the report. I was signed up for the Rockcastle match and had to pull out because I screwed up my knee. Hopefully I'll be at Rockcastle next year with my MCX.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heartbreak RNG After Action Report - THE MCX DID Great Again!

Another Run N Gun in the books. Did the Heartbreak 10k at the Bluegrass Sportsman's League on Feb 3rd in Wilmore KY. Here is my 10k (7.5 Miles) AAR video. Enjoy!

!!! WARNING - Big Boy Language and Humor Included !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.