SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rifle is brand new out of the box. During cleaning and inspection before firing, saw what I thought to be a crack in a removable piece just behind the barrel chamber on the upper. Sure enough it’s a crack. Looks like a mim part to me.

I am not sure what the piece is called. It is not shown on the sig website parts drawing as a replacement part to purchase.here is a photo has anyone run into this?
A32D2B19-7C70-4FF4-83D6-DE992AABBC4C.jpeg
B31F1D36-E174-4E2D-B406-9251DF688C87.jpeg
B31F1D36-E174-4E2D-B406-9251DF688C87.jpeg
B31F1D36-E174-4E2D-B406-9251DF688C87.jpeg A32D2B19-7C70-4FF4-83D6-DE992AABBC4C.jpeg

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your diagnosis that your upper has a crack looks like a valid concern to me. As an original owner, you have a lifetime warranty. You can call SIG customer service and offer to send them the photos. They may send you a return label via FedEx second day air.

Bill

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry to hear about your new MPX and agree with MrMcGoo. The good thing is that Sig has excellent customer service and will make it right. I know because I've had to use them several times for warranty issues, mainly with pistols.

·
Registered
435 Posts
It is frustrating to have a problem with a new firearm, but with the demand for the MCX going through the roof, I am sure Sig is cranking them out pretty fast right now. Nonetheless that should not have happened. As stated above, Sig has excellent customer service and I am sure they will take care of it promptly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes brand new out of the box with a crack in a mim part is not a good way to start. This is my first sig sauer so I am a little disappointed.

Has anyone seen this issue before? It seems like it is a poorly designed place to use a mim part. If there is a string of these cracking it may be a place where a steel part should be used.

The strange thing is this part is not shown on the sig website parts replacement drawing, so I dont know what it is called. it sets lower than the magazine feed lips so it does not appear to be any kind of feed ramp.

i did email them 3 times so far with no answer. The first I used the contact forum on their website, but photos cannot be attached. The next 2 emails I used [email protected] and attached photos. I am not sure that [email protected] is a valid email for them? But the emails have not been returned. So I assume it gets to someone there.

it is that time of year so they might be home for the holidays. It would have been nice to get a acknowledgment note from them with the we will get back to you message but that did not happen.

you are correct this is not easy to find in stock anywhere and when you do find it, a premium price is expected. after transfer and shipping and tax it’s not chump change. Would have been nice to recieve it 100%. As it stands with a cracked part I am feeling a bit like a chump. 96094E11-465A-414C-96C6-53C00CA1481A.jpeg The hand guard also has a defect in the gray finish which could turn into a corrosion issue as the rifle ages.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Here are a couple of thoughts.

Who is the dealer you purchased this from? Sig sends to dealers, dealers sell to you. If this was mishandled in anyway, they need to know about it.

Regarding the finish. Check carefully and make sure the finish matched the other finish. I say this as I am always looking to troubleshoot things and try to arrive at a logical explanation. I am wondering if that handguard has been refinished. I have never seen such poor quality spraying and can not imagine that much dust or crude getting into the spray booth or room.

When you do call sig, make sure it is not the day after the holiday or weekend. Tuesday and Wednesday is best. Trust me. Waiting an hour and 20 minutes on hold was not a delight.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Notify the mother ship and they will take care of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was purchased at Vance outdoors in Ohio, they have a few stores sprinkled around in Ohio, so their not a small gun shop. I am a few states over so it was shipped and transferred by ffl.

both defects appear to be a defect from sig. the color match is too good to appear to be done after the fact. As for the crack, I don’t see how it could be done by mishandling. My guess is the mim-part had the defect and during test firing at sig the crack occurred.

I don’t know if sig opens them after test firing, or if they fire as they should they go back on the rack and head for shipping. I can say when I pushed a patch thru the barrel it came out dirty. So on preclean and inspection I finished cleaning the barrel and took it to the assembly bench for lube and assembly and then saw the crack. I could have missed it just as easily, it was just luck that I spotted it. 76D31491-EFB4-4D28-89DD-15F9FC4E0472.jpeg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just received a email from bill at sig. I sent them photos.

So kilyung you think this is a feed ramp, that is what I thought at first but when all is assembled the magazine feed lips set above this part. So at that point I could not see how a bullet nose could contact this part at all.

they do not show the part on their part drawings either. Perhaps bill from sig will I’d the part.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
It stinks to get a brand new gun and find an issue, I’ve been there myself. Sig will take care of it but hassle of shipping it back and forth is what irritates me.
The cracked part is just a feed ramp and is low stress so mim is just fine for the application. As to the finish on the handguard it looks like it wasn’t clean before it was sprayed, make sure to point that out as well before sending it back, they’ll probably just replace it.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Honestly you have a good company to stand behind the product.

That is a horrible paint job. Looks like the paint may have been running out and ended up with a splatter.

The reason I thought someone might have repainted to cover up a flaw is that looks totally amateurish. It looks like the air/paint mix ratio and pressure was not correct or there was no water trap on the compressor.

·
Registered
493 Posts

part #39 - feed ramp insert

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
went to mgw site, yep feed ramp it is. Photos have been sent to bill in customer service at sig for his review. I told him I posted here. I would prefer they send me a hand guard and feed ramp and I could send the old parts back. It would be less hassle than shipping the rifle.

I am new to this rifle but I installed the magpul magazine that came with the gun with some snap cap rounds and watched the feed, the rounds don’t touch this secondary feed ramp? Looks like if the magazine were old and the front were worn then possibly the secondary feed ramp would come into play. There are left and right ramps on the barrel that do the work With the new magazine.

this part had to be messed up from the beginning and maybe the percussion from firing caused it to crack. I can’t see a person that assembles guns at sig intended to install the part cracked.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Definitely the feed ramps but I doubt that those parts are MIM, due to the pressure that piece is exposed to while shooting. Truly unfortunate it happened but I can only assume that Sig is cranking them out as fast as they can and sometimes things slip through. You'd be better off with the Midwest Industries handguard anyway (slimmer profile). Do you know the manufacturing date?

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Definitely the feed ramps but I doubt that those parts are MIM, due to the pressure that piece is exposed to while shooting. Truly unfortunate it happened but I can only assume that Sig is cranking them out as fast as they can and sometimes things slip through. You'd be better off with the Midwest Industries handguard anyway (slimmer profile). Do you know the manufacturing date?
The feed ramp is a low stress part and is definitely MIM. Notice the letter “A” cast into it in the second pic and you can see the parting lines in the first picture.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have not heard back from sig yet so still waiting on them. Yes the parting lines and the cast in letter A along with no machine marks on the piece lead me towards the mim part belief but this is my first sig so there is a learning curve.

it sad that the first sig I own started like this. As for sig cranking them out, I don’t believe that we need to make excuses for poor quality control on firearms as a forum. Poor qc speaks for itself and is usually determined by $. Like I said because this is my first sig it is $ad that I mine started it like this.

yes I think that the Midwest industries hand guard is nice but I was not looking to buy a scar when I decided on this purchase. As most of you may know when you buy a scar it takes another $2000.00 to turn it into a reasonable rifle. After watching and reading reviews on the mcx I determined the rifle except for iron sights was pretty much good to go out of the box. Did not anticipate this saga.

As for the manufacture date is there a way to tell that from the serial number?

·
Registered
493 Posts
No excuse for bad QC. Sig should have caught it and needs to make it right quickly.

... I was not looking to buy a scar when I decided on this purchase. As most of you may know when you buy a scar it takes another $2000.00 to turn it into a reasonable rifle...
Why’d it take so much to get your SCAR setup? Other than replacing the A2 grip, my 17S ran fine out of the box. Not to say that I didn’t eventually Gucci mine - with Geissele trigger, EACH, flash hider, PMM rails, ModLite PLHV2, and ELCAN optic - but none of it is really necessary.

I’ve probably spent as much, if not more, on my MCX with SRO/mount, KAC BUIS, grip, Geissele trigger, Geissele charging handle, SureFire M640DF, (many) stocks, (many) handguards, and (many) barrels. Again none really needed as it was GTG out of the box but part of the MCX fun IMHO is the modularity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the Scar it needed it to function to your likings, with the mcx aside from iron sights and maybe a trigger improvement, it sounds like you were having fun.

besides with different barrels, it is almost like having more than one gun.

I did here back from bill at sig sauer, the gun is to be shipped back to the Factory. I sent a message back to him requesting a new shipping box because the styrofoam that sig uses is of “once and forget it“ quality. Waiting to here back from him on if he will send a new shipping box.

this is why I suggested that sig just send the replacement parts. It makes things easier. How did the warden in cool hand luke say it “ there is two ways we can do this..........” The photos speak for themselves. This was a qc failure should have not left the factory in this condition. Now their problem becomes my problem.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts