SIG Talk banner

MCX Flash Hider Removal - Help

47917 Views 33 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  dgtaurus
I just got my tax stamp back from my SiCo Hybrid and was hoping to use it on my MCX this weekend. Only thing is that I can't get the Sig flash hider off to put on the SiCo ASR flash hider. Any tips/advice? Also, when/if I get it off should I apply Loctite or Rocksett to the ASR flash hider?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
7,973 Posts
Yeah, that's been a frequent issue here. Some suggest a small torch to heat & loosen the flash hider. My approach was a bigger wrench though.

2 or 3 drops of Rocksett on clean threads are suggested. Quickly rotate your muzzle on & off a couple times to spread the rocksett. Torque her home ~25ftlbs and you're golden!!

1st - You'll need a solid grip on the barrel

Then there's that bigger pipe wrench I mentioned...

Cheers

Attachments

· Registered
7,973 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention that you may need a taper cap, if your muzzle devise needs to be timed, or doesn't fit properly with MCX's muzzle taper.

Call SIG if you need 'em. I ordered one last week and they said they were on backorder...

Cheers

Attachments

· 🎖USAF Retired
506 Posts
I just got my tax stamp back from my SiCo Hybrid and was hoping to use it on my MCX this weekend. Only thing is that I can't get the Sig flash hider off to put on the SiCo ASR flash hider. Any tips/advice? Also, when/if I get it off should I apply Loctite or Rocksett to the ASR flash hider?
Don't forget, it is LEFT handed threads!

· Registered
7,973 Posts
Don't forget, it is LEFT handed threads!
NOPE!! Unlike their threaded pistol barrels, SIG's rifles are std right hand threads...

Cheers

· Registered
1,840 Posts
If Rocksett is used then heat is useless, it then needs to be soaked overnight in water to break down the rocksett.

· Registered
7,973 Posts
Right, OEMs suggest Rocksett for muzzle devises because of its high temp spec. From memory so may be off a few degrees, but Rocksett's good to 2,400F, blue Loctite to 450F and red Loctite to 650F.

I really don't use Loctite on any barrel parts as its not designed for a typical barrel's heat. Here, it's Rocksett on the muzzle devise and VersaChem's anti-seize hi-temp copper formula thread lube on gas valves, barrel bolts and extensions...

Cheers

· Registered
303 Posts
I put my upper in a vice block, applied some heat, used a cheater pipe and came right off.
I did that to put my YHM muzzle adapter for YHM suppressor on. With sub-sonic ammo, not bad. Feel like a super sleuth!

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't remove the old flash hider and install the ASR flash hider, but Quiet Riot Firearms did when I went to pick up my Osprey 45K. They also removed the ASR flash hider from my Scorpion and re-installed it with Rocksett. They were extremely helpful and I will definitely be back to see them. Here are all the Sig products I own. If anyone has a lead on the new style small carry grip module and some 21 round magazines let me know.

Attachments

· Registered
1 Posts
Sig Sauer M400 Tread flash hider stuck

Hi People,
Brand new to gun forums. Does anyone know the chemical agent used by Sig at the factory to hold on flash hider? It seems heat is only used for loctite and soaking is used for other agent. Please help me, I’m losing it!!!!!!!
Also a procedure including tools and whatever else please.

· Registered
49 Posts
Back again for a follow up question.

Got my MPX LH 13.5x1 Fixed thread adapter onto the MPX after removing the factory flash hider by soaking in (initially Hot) water overnight. A quick blast of heat was needed. I used Rocksett for it and gave a strong hand tightening, without know a particular torque spec for the adapter. I used a Vise Block for the upper. Note that Sig MPX and MCX and 716 don't fit that standard Wheeler AR15/AR10 Block completely. Went to remove the Flash Hider on the MCX today for putting the OSS Muzzle Brake QD adapter on. Notice a couple things.
MCX also has a tapered Barrel, like the MPX. Last week made some calls and found out that Capitol Armory sells some adapters for Tapered Barrels needing timed muzzle devices and suppressors. Not needed for my MPX since I used the fixed adapter, likely to be permanent home to the Ghost M can. BUT. On the MCX, plan to use the Helix 762 QD on my 516 and 716 rifles also. Neither has tapered barrel. Neither used Rocksett. Seems I'm going to need the tapered thread adapter for my MCX in order to time the adapter. Thats what those "taper cap" accessories are yes?

MCX Right handed threads even on my pistol length ~9" .300blk barrel?
Any easy way to soak the barrel end in water without rusting overnight? Last time was a pain in the butt contraption I set up.

Safe to torque muzzle device using an upper receiver vise block? OSS says 30 ft lbs! Would rather not remove the barrel completely, and I don't have any other hardware or tools for clamping the barrel.

Thanks!

TD

· Registered
49 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention that you may need a taper cap, if your muzzle devise needs to be timed, or doesn't fit properly with MCX's muzzle taper.

Call SIG if you need 'em. I ordered one last week and they said they were on backorder...

Cheers
Can't find this ANYWERE I've searched online so far. MFG part no?
Probably end up calling Sig in tomorrow.
TD

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.