SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope Sig will reintroduce the 9" 5.56 barrel. Other companies are using even shorter barrels with no issues. I do like the 11.5" but I also would like the 9" to go with the PDW handguard and keep the overall weapon as short as possible.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Wouldn't expect SIG to offer 9" 5.56 barrels. I'm not a ballistics expert, but my research on a 10" SIG516 SBR's suppressor purchase was that anything under 10" could be difficult.

Surefire offers an <10" model that has larger baffle bores, but other suppressor OEs void their warrants if installed on <10" barrel 5.56.

Surefire's R&D guy told me 5.56 can be unstable under 10". So, enjoy your 11.5" rifle!

Cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouldn't expect SIG to offer 9" 5.56 barrels. I'm not a ballistics expert, but my research on a 10" SIG516 SBR's suppressor purchase was that anything under 10" could be difficult.

Surefire offers an <10" model that has larger baffle bores, but other suppressor OEs void their warrants if installed on <10" barrel 5.56.

Surefire's R&D guy told me 5.56 can be unstable under 10". So, enjoy your 11.5" rifle!

Cheers
No plans on running it with a suppressor

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Understand that you may not be interested in running a suppressor, and SIG probably isn't interested in offering a rifle they wouldn't suppress either...

Cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Understand that you may not be interested in running a suppressor, and SIG probably isn't interested in offering a rifle they wouldn't suppress either...

Cheers
Well they originally offered the MCX pistol in a 9" so who knows. They also have a 7.5" 516 as well so Sig does offer shorter length 5.56 barrels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too wish they would re-introduce the 9" 5.56 as for my application the PDW would work the best. I have had a 9" MCX SBR in 5.56 on order since October of 2015. It wasn't only until recently that through contacting many people at Sig that they advised they are no longer planning on making it.

They never even updated my order with my distributer so my $1500 has just been sitting out there. From my understanding all orders were just converted to the next SBR length 11.5". I have tried to see if I can change my order to 9" 300 blackout. Problem is a lot of vendors around me, especially LEO distributors are unhappy with Sigs issues and are dropping them. Our largest one just ended their relationship with Sig, they said they have plenty of people in my boat. 2 years with no updates, changing SKU's and not updating orders etc. Customers get frustrated and its just not worth it to them.

My distributor believes they cannot change orders as they no longer carry Sig. So existing orders should come in but nothing can be changed. If that's the case I may just get a refund.

I also have thought possibly of modifying a 11.5" barrel kit if I am unhappy with length, but I am by no means a gunsmith and would hate it if I have an unreliable $600+ barrel kit.

So I feel your pain Cops312, PM me if you want more details as you may be in my same boat. I have spent a lot of time on this 9" 5.56 SBR issue.

-Split

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Well they originally offered the MCX pistol in a 9" so who knows. They also have a 7.5" 516 as well so Sig does offer shorter length 5.56 barrels.
Yeah understand. Heck, I own their 516 with a 10" barrel, but SIG has now withdrawn all of their 556 offerings under 11.5" barrel lengths.

There is a hope though. SOCOM has a 'Request for Information' out for a new SBR that may attract some OEM interest. I think SOCOM plans to start with 550 of these rifles, so this may get SIG's attention.

Their specs are way out there - but SIG's MCX may well be the closest current production weapon for these requirements. So, you're probably right - 'who knows'!!

US Wants New Personal Weapon for Special Ops - Warrior - Scout

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts