SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late last month, I purchased a 229 Legion in 9 MM. I love this gun and it has replaced my G 19 for EDC.

As of this writing, I've shot 750 rounds of mixed ammo with no issues. I'm still not able to add the 15th round in any of the three magazines. When I've gone to the range, I've rotated the magazines so each one has shot 250 rounds. I use a Magula UPLula loader.

I've read comments that it takes awhile to break in the mag spring. I would value hearing how long it took others to be able to add the 15th round.

Thanks in advance to all who comment.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I feel like this is a common post. I have a lot of magazines and 30+ for my Sigs. Most of my Sig mags are Mecgar but some are checkmate (US made) and I bought most of them new. Some of them were tough to load the last round (and most new mags are) but I have never encountered a magazine that I wasn't able to fully load. I recently acquired a few new checkmate 10 round magazines that were stiff enough that I worried about unreliable feeding of first round or deforming of feed lips but they work fine. When my Kimber Solo mags were new the mag springs were so stiff the gun wouldn't go into battery with a full magazine but I was always able to fully load them.

It seems that most of the posts like this reference a magazine loader. I've never used one, could this be the issue? Have you tried hand loading the last round?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I have 12 9mm mags, phosphate, some with metal and some with plastic base inserts and have no problems cramming 15 in. I just started using Magula and although the last round is tight it still works. I don't remember ever not getting the last round in since they were new with the exception of the plastic follower ones were tighter when new. I don't think I've loaded them more than 10 times each, I usually only load them to div cap of 10 though.

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
I feel like this is a common post. I have a lot of magazines and 30+ for my Sigs. Most of my Sig mags are Mecgar but some are checkmate (US made) and I bought most of them new. Some of them were tough to load the last round (and most new mags are) but I have never encountered a magazine that I wasn't able to fully load. I recently acquired a few new checkmate 10 round magazines that were stiff enough that I worried about unreliable feeding of first round or deforming of feed lips but they work fine. When my Kimber Solo mags were new the mag springs were so stiff the gun wouldn't go into battery with a full magazine but I was always able to fully load them.

It seems that most of the posts like this reference a magazine loader. I've never used one, could this be the issue? Have you tried hand loading the last round?
I'm having the same problem with the mags that came with My P220 SSE in 10MM. I can get 7 rounds in easily but the 8th will not go in even using the Maglula. I can push the 7th round down so the 8th will fit but the Magliuls cannot release and allow the bullet to seat.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! Greatly appreciated. I tried to insert the 15th round by hand. The round stuck and when I removed it the magazine had dented the end of the round. Thinking that the ejector may not eject this round, I've decided to through that round away. I will keep trying.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
This keeps coming up.

I have a number of 229-1 15 round mags that are fairly new. The 15th round will not load with my uplula because there is simply not enough space when the thickness of the loader tab is considered. I load #1 by hand, 13 with the loader, and to get #15 in, I have to put the mag base down on the bench, and press hard.

I've had no issues of chambering the first round from a mag loaded that way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It happens, but here is something to think about...

Magazines when loaded to capacity, normally don't have any more room to flex under load. Feed lips are holding all of that pressure. You can always replace springs , but not feedlips.

When you have a loaded mag to capacity and try and reload that magazine on an already chambered round... you will have a more challenging time slamming that magazine in the pistol. (Slide is not locked back)

AR shooters (experienced ones) never load 30 rounds in a magazine.

In my experience with 1911s, it's not much of an issue, but my Sigs and XDs, I see a difference... so I leave out one or two per magazine. Easier reloading for admin reloads or alibis.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Are your mags made in US or Italy?

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
This keeps coming up.

I have a number of 229-1 15 round mags that are fairly new. The 15th round will not load with my uplula because there is simply not enough space when the thickness of the loader tab is considered. I load #1 by hand, 13 with the loader, and to get #15 in, I have to put the mag base down on the bench, and press hard.

I've had no issues of chambering the first round from a mag loaded that way.
I go not have this trouble with the Mags for My P220 Carry,P239,P226 or P938 plus My other Brands either. It's just the P220 SSE 10MM mags.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah. The 229 mags can be a little tight. I really don't give it that much thought and just load the last easy round which is most often 14. Maybe in time 15 will be easy too. But not that big a deal to me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the same problem with my P229 9mm magazines. I am able to load the last round with uplula at times or sometimes I need to load the 15th round by hand.

I had my P229 Legion since February and kept the magazines fully loaded but till now it is still very hard to load the last round.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have no problems with my Sig/MecGar/Checkmate mags. If you wanna see a tough mag to load fully, when new, look no further than an XD mag! Holy, Moly!!

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
With any of my Sig magazines that were tough to load the last round, I loaded them and let them sit in my safe for a while (while = couple of weeks). Soon enough they realized they didn't get to go to the range as much and straightened out :)

Reactions: coach482

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I had this problem...dumped all my 15-round magazines and bought MecGar 17-round magazines for the P229s and 18-round magazines for the P226s. A bit expensive, but everything is just fine now.

Reactions: Runnerpsu

·
Registered
12 Posts
One thing to check for is make sure that your rounds are stacking in the correct order. Never had it happen on any of my Sig Checkmate magazines, but some of my Mec-Gar ones for my PPQ are a little temperamental about being careful to get them to correctly alternate on the stack.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I am also having this problem. One of the three mags that came with the 229 Legion is fine, but I can't get the 15th round in the other two. I just today got a Mk25 and had a hard time getting 15 in one of those too. (Newby to Sig - but have purchased 3 pistols in a month - all used deals.)

Separate issue - when I compare the 229 Legion mags to the Mk25 mags, the latter make a lot of noise when I shake them (sounds like something is rattling around in them), whereas the Legion mags are mostly quiet. Is this a Legion vs. other Sig issue, or 229 vs 226?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just went through this with brand new. P229 legion...contacted Sig....they sent out 3 new mags under warranty replacement..sent back the bad ones.....these say "Italy"....and 15 rounds fit just fine now

·
Registered
648 Posts
I am also having this problem. One of the three mags that came with the 229 Legion is fine, but I can't get the 15th round in the other two. I just today got a Mk25 and had a hard time getting 15 in one of those too. (Newby to Sig - but have purchased 3 pistols in a month - all used deals.)

Separate issue - when I compare the 229 Legion mags to the Mk25 mags, the latter make a lot of noise when I shake them (sounds like something is rattling around in them), whereas the Legion mags are mostly quiet. Is this a Legion vs. other Sig issue, or 229 vs 226?
When I first bought my Legion, one of the 15 rnd mags would not load more than 13. I finally took it apart and discovered Sig had inadvertently put two followers in the mag instead of just one. Fancy that!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.