SIG Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
I haven't bought a new SIG in many years, but I don't think I ever saw anyone list their guns for MSRP. I would suspect markup at the retail end is at least $100-$150.

Registered
Having been in retail years ago I can tell you that will not be easy to determine. Retailers get a lot of incentives, volume purchasing discounts, and special pricing on certain models when they are backed up in the pipeline. I have read in more than a few places that typically markup is not that great on firearms and gun stores make a lot more on accessories such as magazines.

Registered
Having been in retail years ago I can tell you that will not be easy to determine. Retailers get a lot of incentives, volume purchasing discounts, and special pricing on certain models when they are backed up in the pipeline. I have read in more than a few places that typically markup is not that great on firearms and gun stores make a lot more on accessories such as magazines.
I recall a local gun range/ store saying they barely made anything on guns, and were primarily able to stay in business due to range fees and rentals.

On the other hand, I highly doubt SIG authorized distributors pay more for their pistols than private purchasers who use the LE/Mil IOP list, and that is over 25% off MSRP. A typical LE Glock sells for $425 (and for $389 on "Glock Day"), and I imagine that is pretty close to what a gun store pays for them as well.

Registered
This is probably not a lot of help. Retail on some types of goods is double wholesale. On tools and such, it tends to be much less I think. Many retailers want 30 to 35%. When I was inventing and manufacturing specialty tools, distribution wanted 30% minimum.

A rule-of-thumb back in the '80's when I was involved; an item manufactured in the USA should retail for five times it's cost to manufacture. That includes raw materials, labor, overhead etc. If a tool or hardgoods type item cost $100 at retail, it cost roughly $20 in direct costs to make (add more for shipping and incidentals like marketing etc), and would wholesale $70 - $80. Those figures would widely depending on type of goods, with retail percentage tending to be lower on higher ticket items. (I was dealing with tools retailing in for $5 to $60 range.)

Registered
Couple small stores I know only charge 7% to 10% over their cost on firearms. Often times you can buy from Walmart cheaper than a small store can buy wholesale. Larger stores that can afford to make large purchase orders get many advantages.

Registered
Talking to my dealer (think he's the biggest in the state), he said it depends on where they get them from. When I ordered my Legions they quoted my 400 under MSRP and while I waited they called me with ones they got through distribution for like a hundred more, said they get a good deal direct from Sig but then they come when they come. Distribution often has them on hand but cost them more.

Registered
Gander Mountain and Bass Pro usually sell for at least MSRP and Above.
If You look at the 2017 Sig Catalog on line it has to prices listed MAP and MSRP
Example P226 E226R-9-BSS-RX 226 9MM Nitron Blk DA/SA Siglite Mini Reflex Sight
MAP $1179.99 MSRP $1359.00

Registered
According to my buddy who is a stocking dealer, anyone selling for less than what you see on places like Davidson's (except for factory authorized sales) will lose the ability to sell SIG.
either your buddy is wrong or you misunderstood or misstated, MAP is Minimum Advertised price, a dealer cannot advertise for less...they can sell for less.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Manufacturing costs is ~ 200.00 for a classic DA/SA sig. the P320 is ~ 100.00 or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, both of those are surprising to me, when considering msrp. I realize everyone in the chain has to be able to make money, but still surprising at the low cost.

Lesau

Registered
Wow, both of those are surprising to me, when considering msrp. I realize everyone in the chain has to be able to make money, but still surprising at the low cost.

Lesau

That's just cost to make, have to also consider marketing, insurance, legal, property, and of course what you said in
terms of distribution channel. Marked up to wholesalers, marked up to retailers, marked up to consumer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.