SIG Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have about 200 rds or so of 180 grain HST for Zombie attakcs on my retirement community but I wanted to try the Underwood 155 gr Hornady.

Unfortunately .. all sold out and who knows when they will be back but .. I can make my own!!

I have been making my own range ammo for about 5 years but I never made SD ammo.

I went ahead and found the bullets, not easy to do now a days. Found a bag of new starline brass.

So using CCI primers and 9.2 grains of Longshot and the 155 gr Hornady I rolled about 30 rounds for testing.

Oh my what a fabulously fun round that is insanely accurate. It is a bit noisy but it has a sharp fast recoil and not the larger thud of the 180 grain bullets.

I ran off a string of 7 and it was very very controllable.

I recently loaded up some range ammo with 180 gr and 7.3 gr of longshot with a magnum primer and it definitely had more umph but not necessarily in a good way as I had to readjust my grip before I emptied a mag and I give the gun a death grip.

I definitely found the 155 gr over the 9.2 grains and standard small primer much faster to shoot and shoot well.

I trickle loaded these and then used a funnel because I was up near the limit of the Hogdon recommend but I checked my brass when I came home and no signs of over pressure.

According to Hogdon the bullet from a 4" bbl should be up around 1280fps. I dont have a chrono so cant validate but .. it certainly had some arse. Cool because my usual walk the desert round is a .357 Remington HTP at 158 gr and this 40 is up there in the same velocity territory although .. sectional density will probably make the .357 the better penetrator.

Wouldnt want to beat up the gun shooting it all the time but now and again .. Fun stuff

Ran some through my M&P and it loved it as well. Nice round .. now I am going to load up 100 of them and pray for the zombie apocalypse!! :p

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
I’ll never reload and test my rounds without using a chronograph. For comparison, I load 9.7 Gr of either Shooters World Major Pistol and AA7 with 124 Gr PD JHP @ 1.165 yielding an average velocity of 1385 FPS for 171 PF for my 9 major open gun. This with small rifle primers and same headstamp too.

·
Registered
506 Posts
BTW, you ever been to the Rio Salado Sportsman's Club? It is a mini vacation drive for me but curious. Looks like a really nice facility and they have managed to really screw up Ben Avery. Just curious. Thx

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Longshot, aka Loudshot!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts