SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While the Maglula UpLula appears to be the gold standard for pistol magazine loaders, some people want something smaller and/or cheaper. Enter the Makershot and RAE Industries loaders. The RAE Industries loaders cost $12.98 on Amazon, while the Makershot loader cost a whole penny more at $12.99. These are NOT universal loaders and both are designed specifically for the P365-P365XL magazines.

The Makershot loader is significantly smaller than the UpLula and the RAE Industries loader is even smaller. The RAE Industries loader is so much smaller than the Makershot that it will allow me to put two more loaded 12 rd XL magazines into my magazine lockbox for a total of 10 magazines, vs the Makershot with only 8. In my other lockbox I can fit a loaded P365X, 3 loaded 12 rd magazines AND the RAE Industries loader. The Makershot loader will not fit unless I remove one 12 rd magazine.

By it's construction, the Makershot loader seems significantly stronger than the RAE Industries loader. I think that I could step on the Makershot loader and it would probably be okay, whereas RAE Industries loader would more likely break under the weight. However, the RAE Industries loader is still quite sturdy.

The Makershot loader appears to be injection molded. The RAE Industries loader appears to be 3-D printed.

The RAE Industries loader would appear to be the clear winner for space savings. HOWEVER, there is a fly in the ointment. The 3-D printing has a finish so rough that as you load the magazine it wants to pull the cartridge back out as you try to load it. I had cartridges literally pop up into the air while trying to load the magazine!!!

As received I would NOT recommend RAE Industries loader to anyone, unless I really hated them. In fact, I may even donate a case of these loaders to the local chapter of Antifa.

All is not lost. It's the rough surface texture of the plunger that is causing the problem. I will try sanding the plunger smooth and see if that cures the problem and I will report back.

The Makershot loader works well. The lip around the outside makes it much easier to hold than the RAE Industries loader. The only issue that I noted is that you need to push down slightly on the nose of the cartridges being loaded to prevent them from tilting upward and jamming. You get used to loading the Makershot after a magazine or two.

At this point the Makershot is the clear winner. The RAE Industries loader needs some elbow grease to smooth out the rough finish caused by the 3-D printing process. If sanding cures the loading problems of the RAE Industries loader, I will carry it in my lockbox and carry the Makershot loader in my range bag.

UPDATE 1:
I sanded the rough edges on the front of the plunger. HOWEVER, that is not the most serious problem. The plunger is too far forward and does NOT allow enough of the rear of the cartridge to be captured underneath the front lips of the magazine. As a result cartridges can pop out as you release pressure on the loader while you are trying to push the round backward. It's also not a case of operator error. There is no way to hold the loader to place the plunger any further back. This is a DESIGN error!!! The RAE plunger contacts the cartridge about 3/32" further forward from where the Makershot plunger contacts the cartridge.

I am officially designating the RAE Industries product to be a MAGAZINE LOADER SHAPED OBJECT! What a FAILURE!

What I plan to do is buy a second Makershot loader and carve down much of the outer lip and perhaps some of the bottom side to make it fit into my small lockboxes. I will carry an intact Makershot loader in my range bag. I will mostly use the unmodified Makershot loader. The reduced size version will be in my lockbox, there to use if I only carry the lockboxes and not the full range bag.

Update #2:
I noticed that the face of the plunger on the Makershot is angled so that it has full contact on the cartridge body in the magazine that it is pushing down. Whereas, the RAE Industries plunger is NOT angled and is parrallel to the floor. This means that there is a 90° corner pushing on the cartridge body. The face of the RAE plunger is not as long as the Makershot plunger face. All in all, the Makershot loader is better designed and it is better manufactured.

·
🎖US Army Veteran Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Thanks Al for the comparison and I agree based on the pic that the Makershot looks superior, not only in finish but with the ledge, it clearly offers more leverage. Good review - thanks for taking the time to share. 👍

·
Banned
260 Posts
Got to be a crappy 3D printer, or they ran for speed instead of quality. I've seen some pretty good 3D printed prototypes that look better tjs than that. Heck, the one member's daughter printed out a P320 stand that looks better quality than that. Maybe for $4.99.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't throw $12.99, or even $12.98 away. Get a Maglula UpLula or just load by hand.
The $12.99 was well spent on the Makershot loader. It works quite well and it's significantly smaller and $20 cheaper than the UpLula. The only real downside to the Makershot is that it is magazine specific. If you have multiple pistols using different magazines, then the more universal UpLula would be a better choice. But for someone only using a P365-P365XL, the Makershot loader is a very good choice.

The RAE Industries loader is a POS. Read my Update on the original post.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got a Makershot when I couldn't find an Uplula. I'm quite happy with it. No need for me to "upgrade".

·
Registered
943 Posts
The RAE Industries loaders cost $12.98 on Amazon, while the Makershot loader cost a whole penny more at $12.99.
What I plan to do is buy a second Makershot loader...
OK - so far you've purchased/plan to purchase (1) [email protected] $12.98 + (2) Makershots @$12.99 each. That's a cost of $38.96.
In your testing you found the RAE doesn't work, so that $12.98 was a waste of money.

Instead you could have bought ONE UpLulu for $34.99 and been done. The UpLula is a multi-caliber loader which works with many different magazines.
Besides, I haven't had to sand anything, and it still works as well as it did when I got it 3 years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Thousands in guns ... thousands in ammo. No point in "cheaping" out now ... get a Uplula and load all your magazines for all your pistols. If you can't find one you need to look harder ... Midway shows them in stock in different colors ...$34.99. Last time in Cabela's they had an end-cap full of them ... all the colors ... same price.

I have one for my bench and one for range bag. My 320 X5 has 21 round mags that are next to impossible to hand load past 17 or 18 rounds.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK - so far you've purchased/plan to purchase (1) [email protected] $12.98 + (2) Makershots @$12.99 each. That's a cost of $38.96.
In your testing you found the RAE doesn't work, so that $12.98 was a waste of money.

Instead you could have bought ONE UpLulu for $34.99 and been done. The UpLula is a multi-caliber loader which works with many different magazines.
Besides, I haven't had to sand anything, and it still works as well as it did when I got it 3 years ago.
Did you read the part where I said that the UpLula was too large? If the UpLula would have fit into my lockboxes I would have purchased it.

I could exist with one loader if I had to. But I want second loader small enough to fit into my lockbox with my P365X as well as 3 extra 12 rd magazines. $12.98 for an experiment isn't much to lose. Not to mention that I will try to get my money back. So I'm looking at $25.98 for TWO mag loaders. Even if I lose one I've still got a backup. AND the loader will fit into my pistol lockbox.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...get a Uplula and load all your magazines for all your pistols.
I only have ONE pistol. The only other pistol that I would consider buying right now would be the P365XL. The UpLula would just be taking up too much space. If I need anything more than the P365 I'll break out the rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
I only have ONE pistol. The only other pistol that I would consider buying right now would be the P365XL. The UpLula would just be taking up too much space. If I need anything more than the P365 I'll break out the rifle.
OK ... I get it. We all have different needs. The last time I had only ONE pistol was maybe 1977. Having had an FFL and worked many, many gun shows, I've owned probably a hundred. These days I've cut my collection to about 20 in five calibers ...that's just handguns ... not counting shotguns and rifles, As I said we all have different needs. If one works for you that's cool ... but pistols and revolvers are like potato chips to me .... can't have just one ....:p

Oh ... and I've never owned one of those little lock boxes, no need for one. So I had no real idea what one would hold ... I get it now.

Reactions: TerminalSigness

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
OK ... I get it. We all have different needs. The last time I had only ONE pistol was maybe 1977. Having had an FFL and worked many, many gun shows, I've owned probably a hundred. These days I've cut my collection to about 20 in five calibers ...that's just handguns ... not counting shotguns and rifles, As I said we all have different needs. If one works for you that's cool ... but pistols and revolvers are like potato chips to me .... can't have just one ....:p

Oh ... and I've never owned one of those little lock boxes, no need for one. So I had no real idea what one would hold ... I get it now.
If I had the extra money I'd buy a P365XL to go along with my P365X. But I need to spend at least $500 on luthier tools, and that's besides the parts and other supplies. A diamond impregnated fret crowning file alone costs $108. OUCH! I have too many other interests and not enough time or money for everything.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't throw $12.99, or even $12.98 away. Get a Maglula UpLula or just load by hand.
Load by hand? Have you ever used a Makershot loader?

Even if an UpLula loaded the ammunition automatically, the Makershot works well enough that I'd see no reason to buy an UpLula, unless I needed a universal loader, or was perhaps loading thousands of rounds a day.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I on occasion use the glock 48 supplied mag loader with zero issues and their cheap too like $9 and fit the sig mags perfectly. But the gold standard is the Uplula and it see's way more range use as it really is easier to load in the long run.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I try to introduce as many new shooters to firearm ownership as possible. One of life’s little pleasures, is having a new shooter load mags by hand prior to their first range trip, and then pulling out an Uplula after their fingers are sore. I give Uplula‘s as presents to them, if they stick with shooting/training.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Update #3.

I have sent a detailed e-mail to RAE Industries complaining about their poorly designed loader. They advertise 100% Satisfaction Guarantied. The big question is: "Do they mean their satisfaction or mine?"

We will see what happens. I'm not holding my breath. It was barely worth my time to write the letter of complaint considering that I only spent $12.98 for their crappy loader. But it's a matter of principle.

In the meantime I'm going to buy another Makershot loader and trim down the reinforcement around the sides until it fits into my small lockbox with the other magazines.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I have, and will only have 2 pistols, one being a 365XL. I struggled loading the 12th round while new. Got the MakerShot, loaded the mags, let them sit, and can now load them by hand, even at "my" severly diminished hand strength. So in essence, I no longer need the loader. Lol.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts