SIG Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pulled my mags from the oven....

Rustoleum appliance epoxy (black, duh) sprayed on steel Weiger magazines. Let dry overnight and baked in the oven @ 400 F for one hour. You can definitely see how much shine the epoxy has air dried without heat cure ( bake ) then the change after baking. The stuff sticks to everything it touches....

Air dried overnight BEFORE baking, you can see the reflection off the painted surface~

Baking one hour @ 400 F yields a nice satin finish~

Did a temperature / cure test.

The Weiger mags were baked an hour @ 400 F.
The HK mags on the right were baked @ 450 F for one hour.

450 F has a hint less shine to it and really matches the factory HK finish pretty well. I sprayed a wet coat of black paint on all mags. The HK mags have a " restricted LE only" marking on the back of the mags that is pretty light. After I sprayed the wet coat it filled in the marking and I thought it was going to look like ***. Baking them @ 450 the paint seems to flow out or something to that effect because they looked great coming out of the oven. If I had a couple new base plates they look like new mags.

I was getting ready to spray my underfolder but I have only had my parts oven cranked up to 400'ish in the summer months when its in the 80's outside and it hot temp pretty easy. Today its in the 40's so I did a test run and my oven only hit 375F. I had one hot plate as a heat source so I added a 2nd hot plate. It hit 400F easily. Now I have to arrange and mount the two elements. Always better to test run than have something in the oven THEN figure out you have a problem.

400 / 450

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
These threads are awesome...

What a firearm forum should have. :thumbsu:

Instead of all that quasi - political nonsense.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
I'm curious - what's the durability of the baked finish?

Rust - Oleum lines the underside of my vehicle.

Reactions: cal50

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice, also interested in the durability and if it added any thickness. Did you blast them prior to spraying them?

Sprayed them with brake cleaner, let dry then painted.

The black epoxy is pretty tough stuff. Baking the paint cures it and you can adjust the shine to a level you desire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sprayed them with brake cleaner, let dry then painted.

The black epoxy is pretty tough stuff. Baking the paint cures it and you can adjust the shine to a level you desire.
cal50...people like you inspire me to do so much more than I have done yet, but have been wanting to do. THANK YOU for investigating and executing, as well as inspiring.

I now have a new "tool" in my pack to make sure my equipment looks good for a very long time. :)

- Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.