SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my first Sig incoming (seller is dragging his feet....but everything is fine....) and my two spare magazines already arrived. In looking at various magazines online and reading here it seems that there are German Sig magazines and Italian ones. I have never had a problem with Mec-Gars in my Hi-Power or my Walthers, but I've read mildly negative posts about "Italian" magazines with reference to Sigs.

My question is this - are there any P226 magazines to stay away from? For example, for my Ruger Mk II it was difficult at one time to get OEM mags so I bought two ProMags for it - that was a definite waste of my money.

Last question, do any P226 magazines have engraved butt plates? My Hi-Powers are flat but the ones for my Walthers have both Walther and the model engraved, formed, into the butt plate which makes ID'ing them easier in the safe and range bag.

BTW, the ones I got in were surplussed LE 12 rounders for 357/40 and I did what I always do and color fill.

·
Registered
23,648 Posts
Actually, the Italian SIG mags are made by Mec-Gar and are of very good quality. They are the ones I prefer to buy.
Congrats on the SIG.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In doing research on my MK25 that I'm picking up tomorrow I've concluded that you can't go wrong with Mec-Gar, and they seem to be the top recommendation here as they make OEM Sig mags, so that's what I'll be sticking with.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm partial to the SIG SAUER dovetail mags, but I'm probably in the minority.
Are those the ones that have spot welded backs with what looks like a zig-zag pattern? What about the extended magazines. For some weapons those work like a charm and others not so well?

Reactions: bearone2

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
where did you read about the "mildly negative comments" about italian mags??
I've been surfing a great deal over the past 2 weeks in deciding to buy the P226. I recall seeing some information about magazines marked "Made in Italy" being less desireable than those made in Germany but can't recall where. Oddly, there is little systematic information on magazines readily available on the Sig's compared to the information available on Walther's. For example, there are apparently magazines with flat plates and with padded plates and it seems only the latter can be extended by changing the butt plate. Or so I think I have discovered.

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
On this site, for many people, the Italian Mec Gar mags are considered the "Good ones". The US made Checkmate mags are the ones that some posters to this site say they avoid. I have had no issues with either and quite a good response and customer service from Checkmate. I personally feel both of them to be of very high quality.

·
🎖USA Veteran
56,667 Posts
I've been surfing a great deal over the past 2 weeks in deciding to buy the P226. I recall seeing some information about magazines marked "Made in Italy" being less desireable than those made in Germany but can't recall where. Oddly, there is little systematic information on magazines readily available on the Sig's compared to the information available on Walther's. For example, there are apparently magazines with flat plates and with padded plates and it seems only the latter can be extended by changing the butt plate. Or so I think I have discovered.
thanks, maybe for a purist wanting original magazines but to most folks, mec-gars are a 1st choice for many of us.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I find the Italian made Mecgars, the US made Checkmates and the German made zipper and dovetails to be good mags all around. I own and use each of these varieties with no issues. Promags - run away!
Thanks. This thread is the first I have read about Checkmates. I'll have to research those as well.

Is it true that on the 12 round flat plate 40/357 magazines you can not add the 2 round extended butt plate?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,029 Posts
There are "padded floorplate" models available from Sig, or at least were, for the 15 round 9mm magazines. There are also 2 packs of the floorplates available separately, as shown below.

Mec-Gar also has +2 floorplates, they use to make the 20 round magazines. They also have 18 round magazines the same size as the 15 rounders,, in 9mm. That is due to a different follower design, where the spring fits up into the follower, allowing for 3 more rounds capacity.

Attachments

Reactions: PPS1980

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are "padded floorplate" models available from Sig, or at least were, for the 15 round 9mm magazines. There are also 2 packs of the floorplates available separately, as shown below.

Mec-Gar also has +2 floorplates, they use to make the 20 round magazines. They also have 18 round magazines the same size as the 15 rounders,, in 9mm. That is due to a different follower design, where the spring fits up into the follower, allowing for 3 more rounds capacity.
Thanks! Always like to learn as much as I can about a weapon I own. Magazines are the unappreciated heart of any auto handgun and knowing what's available, the pros and cons of each option, and having several good reliable magazines on hand is essential IMHO to having a reliable weapon available for use.

Reactions: Willard

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,029 Posts
Thanks! Always like to learn as much as I can about a weapon I own. Magazines are the unappreciated heart of any auto handgun and knowing what's available, the pros and cons of each option, and having several good reliable magazines on hand is essential IMHO to having a reliable weapon available for use.
Check out CDNN Sports, or Greg Cote LLC for decent deals such as this Sig P226 15 RD 9mm phosphate by OEM supplier Mec-Gar MAG22615 [OEM MEC-GAR MAG22615 15 RD 9mm] - $26.95 : Greg Cote, LLC or in this case used 12 round .357/.40 P226 and P229 magazines at CDNN Sports https://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines.html#manufacturer=SIG SAUER

Reactions: PPS1980

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.