SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newby here, first post. Looking through the Sig line-up and thinking M11A1 would be a nice handgun to own. Confused about the lineage, though. In my reading, this gun is supposedly a takeoff of the 228, yet the grips say 229. Have I got this right, or am I messed up as usual.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
It's a no rail or tail P229. Sorta like a P228 in the basic shape and caliber.
The P228 was designated as the M11 for the military.
At least they stopped putting 228 grip panels on it, that really confused people.

It's the first Sig I bought made in this century.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Sig M11-A1 is a great handgun to own. One of the best if you don't need a rail.
Get one, you won't regret it. Then get a P365 to go along with it.
After owning these for a time, you may feel a need to have more than one off each... possibly.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome from Northern Indiana enjoy the conversation. The M11A1 is a great carry pistol.I would recommend it strongly.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Welcome from NJ. The M11A1 is a good base to start from for upgrading and building various caliber P229s.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
The original P228 has an almost cult following among Sig fans, due it being discontinued. Someone at Sig thought putting P228 grips on the M11-A1 would lend it some street cred. After the ridicule from those customers who knew the difference, and the fact that it still had satisfactory sales numbers, they started putting the P229 grips on it. There is no difference between a M11-A1 with P228 grips or with P229 grips. Both are fine examples of 9mm Sig compact size firearms, but they are not P228s.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
12,085 Posts
Welcome to Sig Talk!

P228s which were the original M11s use a "folded" carbon steel slide, which was common for the early German made Sigs. P229s use a milled stainless steel slide, that is blackened by a NITRON process. While the frames are almost identical, the M11A1 uses the wider dual taper magazine designated P229-1, while the original M11, P228, and many earlier 9mm P229s used a single taper magazine.

It can be very confusing for someone new to Sig Sauer, and even some older owners, trying to keep things straight!

Reactions: Swirling Eddy

·
Registered
617 Posts
M11-A1 is a great place to start, especially if you’re interested in 9mm. However, take heed, you’ll be starting an expensive, long term journey, from which many find no escape.😉

·
Registered
11,667 Posts
Looking through the Sig line-up and thinking M11A1 would be a nice handgun to own.
You are absolutely correct about that.

And if that's what you are thinking, the lineage stuff really doesn't matter.

BTW, it is a P229 and that's good too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My all time favorite the P228. I need to check out the newer M-11-A1's.
My only concern is magazine compatibility. Will the P226 and P228 magazines work with the newer M-11-A1's ???
Back in the day we carried P226 15 round mags with our ,P228 that only had a 13 round flush fit magazine. The P226 mags only stuck out a 1/2" or less.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
12,085 Posts
My all time favorite the P228. I need to check out the newer M-11-A1's.
My only concern is magazine compatibility. Will the P226 and P228 magazines work with the newer M-11-A1's ???
Back in the day we carried P226 15 round mags with our ,P228 that only had a 13 round flush fit magazine. The P226 mags only stuck out a 1/2" or less.
Yes, with a little side to side of play! The latest P228/P229 #MGP22815 actually hold 15 rounds and are flush fitting too. Surprisingly the Mec Gar #MGP22818AFC holds 18 rounds, while it's P229-1 opposite, #MGP22917AFC only holds 17 rounds... go figure!

Reactions: Weez556

·
Registered
212 Posts
The M11-A1 is a great pistol. It was my first Sig purchase. Like others have said already, it might not be the last one:cool:. Be aware of the Signess, its very contagious !!!!!!
Welcome from LA
Lower Alabama

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Some people believe the 229 is the best pistol Sig makes. And the M11-A1 is the favorite 229 model of many. I love mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts