SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to purchase a M11A1. I see that they are made in the P228 series, as well as the P229 series. I am guessing that the P229 series would be possibly better. Would love to hear from owners and hear thoughts.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
The M11A1 IS a 229. It says 228 on the grip panel, but it is all 229.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not disagreeing with you. On Buds Gunshop website, they have the M11A1 and some of them say from the P228 series and some say from the P229 series. Thats whats confused me.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
When the M11 (not M11A1) was first introduced it was derived from the P228; however, the M11A1 is a converted P229 with the stainless steel slide and no rail. You'll have to settle for a P229 variant b/c the M11 is not available to the civilian market. Not saying one can't be found, but it is a military issue item.

Reactions: JOG and IMPD2079

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the M11 (not M11A1) was first introduced it was derived from the P228; however, the M11A1 is a converted P229 with the stainless steel slide and no rail.
Thank you.

Reactions: GCBHM

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Reactions: Czechvar

·
Registered
763 Posts
the 228 on the grips is an homage to the original. My guess, is someone at Buds saw the grip and got confused.

Reactions: sideburn

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Thank you.
You're welcome. Many people prefer the P228 b/c it has a carbon steel stamped slide which is a little smaller and lighter than the newer stainless steel slides. Some also argue that the P228 variant guns are better made b/c they were engineered and produced in Germany as opposed to the newer guns. It's really old vs new as I see it, but both guns are fantastic offerings, IMO.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I think that it's listed as a 229 on Sigs website and newer catalog. But Edsel is right, there have been many discussions and some hurt feelings on this topic...:)

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p229/
I actually called Sig and spoke with someone there who confirmed that the M11A1 is in fact a P229 without rails. There are conflicting reports on-line, so I finally decided to go straight to the source and ask some questions. That's how I had to settle it for myself. ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I actually called Sig and spoke with someone there who confirmed that the M11A1 is in fact a P229 without rails. There are conflicting reports on-line, so I finally decided to go straight to the source and ask some questions. That's how I had to settle it for myself. ;)

Yep. It's those damn grips. My M11 had G10s so no confusion there ;)

·
Registered
481 Posts
If anyone has any doubt about the M11A1 not being a 228, just take one of the magazines that came with your M11A1 and try to stick them in a real 228.

The M11A1 is definitely a 229. Stainless U.S. made slide and the "E2" frame (or whatever it's called).

While both are excellent pistols, the M11A1 just didn't have the same feel to me that a 228 does.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Actually, a lot of folks, myself included, do not care for woods, no matter how nice they are. Nill grips look fantastic, but the G10 beat them by a mile, function wise, for me. I've had Nill, but always got rid of them.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The M11-A1 is a really great combat ready service pistol designed for carry. Yes, it surely is a P229. With its 15 + 1 capacity I am quite confident when carrying it that she's there if needed. I recommend it in FDE. Nicely finished.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts