SIG Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Off the top of my head, the factory spring is a 21 lb. spring.

I wouldn't go lower than a 17 lb. and even at 17 lbs. there have been reports of the potential for light primer strikes.

Personally, I've had good luck with an 18 lb. spring.

Even dropping down to a 19 lb. spring from the stock spring should make a noticeable difference in your trigger pull.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Off the top of my head, the factory spring is a 21 lb. spring.

I wouldn't go lower than a 17 lb. and even at 17 lbs. there have been reports of the potential for light primer strikes.

Personally, I've had good luck with an 18 lb. spring.

Even dropping down to a 19 lb. spring from the stock spring should make a noticeable difference in your trigger pull.
Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
You can order...

...a three-pack of lighter hammer springs from Wolff: 19, 18 and 17 lb.

They are cheap and easy to install.

Make sure you get the right ones...most of the recent guns have a short plastic spring base.

If I remember correctly, the Wolff Springs website will show you the difference and you'll get the right ones.

Take the right hand grip off and it's easy to see which spring base you have...short or long.

I have a 17 lb. one in my M11-A1 and most of my other Sigs, no issues so far.

If your gun has the "Short Reach Trigger" (it's kinda slender from the side) you can also swap out the trigger for the "Standard Contour Trigger". It's a bit wider/rounder and will give you a little more leverage and perceived lower DA pull.

Northlight

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally found this from previous post:

Originally Posted by bumper View Post
Firstly, you can get a good idea of how "other things", besides the hammer spring, are affecting trigger pull and most especially "feel" by dry firing the weapon, then with trigger still held full back, push the hammer forward and hold it there. Next release the trigger while still holding hammer forward. Now you will be able to move the trigger through it's arc - the only things affecting the trigger at this point will be the trigger pivot pin, the trigger bar, the reset spring, and the sear spring at the very end of the trigger stroke. This all as it relates primarily to SA operation.

The main culprit of DA trigger weight is, of course, the hammer spring. Simple physics, with everything just as polished out and perfected as can be, an 18 lb Wolf hammer spring will get you into the sub-nine pound range, around 8.5 lbs is doable. Note that there will be some manufacturing variations in Wolf sping batches, typically less than a pound variation or so. But, if you get a 17 lb spring labeled as an 18 lb spring, that variation will show up as less pull weight. I test my springs to see what they really are. GGI gets their hammer springs from Wolf.

I did a write up on the effect of hammer spring strength on both DA and SA trigger weight on some other forum. I can go fetch a copy and post it here if there's interest.

Oh, forgot to mention, the sear to hammer fitment (stoning, polish, engagement depth and angles) will affect SA pull only. In the DA mode, the sear is held disengaged and the trigger bar cams against the hammer pin to drop the trigger bar out of the DA cocking notch on the hammer, which happens near the end of the DA trigger stroke.

bumper

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,048 Posts
The Mainspring that you need to change, is annotated by the white arrow...

The seat, is located where the blue arrow indicates, and can be removed by pushing at the notch the blue arrow is pointing at to move the locating lugs of the seat up from their cradle. Substitute the lighter tension spring, and reinstall the nylon seat, from where it was located originally.

Wolff has a 19# mainspring for pistols with a plastic mainspring seat, your M11A1 should have, it's stock # 32419.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Can changing springs affect SIGs Warranty????

Especially with aftermarket springs.
I do not know.

Change it, keep the original and if you ever have to send the gun to the mother ship, install the original and ship it.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Any reason why Sig labels this part as the "Mainspring" but Wolff calls it the "Hammer Spring"?

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
Mainspring is the common term.

I guess Wolff chose "hammer spring" because there are a lot of guys out there that don't know much about guns but still want to mess with stuff. They probably typically only know that "it's the spring that works the hammer." :D

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Mainspring that you need to change, is annotated by the white arrow...

The seat, is located where the blue arrow indicates, and can be removed by pushing at the notch the blue arrow is pointing at to move the locating lugs of the seat up from their cradle. Substitute the lighter tension spring, and reinstall the nylon seat, from where it was located originally.

Wolff has a 19# mainspring for pistols with a plastic mainspring seat, your M11A1 should have, it's stock # 32419.
Thanks! Ordered it last night.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.