SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought three Sigs in the last two months and each came with Lucas Gun Oil samples.

The last gun....a P938, picked up yesterday, felt dry when racking the slide and looks sorta chalky.

I decided to use the sample on it and field strip it and hit the rails, barrel exterior and all over the exterior of the gun. I'm going to leave it wet and see how it does on the first few range sessions later this week.

How well does this Lucas Oil stuff work for everyone ?

How well does it work with Cerakoted weapons ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have used both the Extreme (green) and the Original (red) on several of my pistols. Both work well with the Extreme lasting a very long time without evaporating. It is kind of pricey and good luck finding it locally. I ordered mine from SIG. Both can also be found on Amazon.

·
🎖USAF Veteran
4,455 Posts
I hate the smell of Lucas oil products, other then that I have yet to find any other reason not to like their stuff. As for me, I am using the Marine grease which is a whole lot cheaper and specs out about the same as the extreme duty gun grease for a whole bunch less.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone.

It sure would be nice to settle in on a single lube that will work with all my guns. Seems like you get so many recommended oils from gun makers: Nitride finish, Cerakoted, camo-dipped, blue, wood, etc, etc.

A buddy said he buys the Lucas gun oil from a local auto parts place. I'll give them a call and see.

I hate the smell of Lucas oil products, other then that I have yet to find any other reason not to like their stuff. As for me, I am using the Marine grease which is a whole lot cheaper and specs out about the same as the extreme duty gun grease for a whole bunch less.

I just used the sample that came with my P938 to coat it down good. The gun had a real dry chalky appearance and sounded dry when racking. It's well lubed now, lol. It feels like it should. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, after slathering it down good I noticed zero smell. This was their "Extreme Duty" sample and was blue-green in color.

·
Registered
70 Posts
And what about what we old timers use? It still works:

LSA (lubricant,small arms) The little green/brown squirt bottle made famous in ‘nam. Harder to find today. Saw it at a place called Sarco Inc on the internet.

Lubriplate 130 Multi-Purpose Grease Mil spec grease This product is specifically designed for lubricating the Garand M-1 rifle. Still available on Amazon.

Many people are combine these with modern products. I read that in place of Lubriplate you can combine Mobil1 75w90 full synthetic gear lube with LSA for a great lube for hot running fire arms. Others like a mixture of LSA added to Mobil1 full synthetic grease (thick red) or Super Lube synthetic grease to make a light grease on high friction surfaces.

There are plenty other modern products I use that work. But I like the time tested products and the above combinations.

Here is an old blog quote about oil and grease:

“.... Oil was originally used on the M1 Garand, too. The way I remember it (from reading about it, not living it) was that oil was used to start with but in the Pacific, during heavy tropical rainstorms, the oil would wash off and the rifle malfunctioned. At that time testing was done to find out what would stay on the metal surfaces and keep the rifle functioning and they settled on a specific type of grease (Lubriplate). ...”

·
Registered
300 Posts
i reach for the jar of bacon grease in back of the ice box, lube up the sigs and after about 25 rounds or so it smells fantastic. it does make one hungry though.
:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lucas makes a solid oil. My dad received a lot of their product before he retired from the auto parts industry with several bottles of gun oil included. Its all I use now and have never had any issues.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I use Lucas grease on a lot of my slides without issues. I am a believer. I use Lucas oil sometimes when I need the needle but mostly use slip 2000. I am trying Montana x-treme grease, no report yet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, everyone.

Since I started the 938 out with a healthy dose of Lucas Extreme from the sample....I'll keep rolling with it. Those 1oz bottles look like they'd be mighty useful for targeting the spots you want it. I assume their grease works well in conjunction with their oil. I'll hit the rails with it.

Not too much worry about the temp range for now....as it's going to stay hot for the next few months.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have tried the grease and it seems to work well. It stays where you put especially when it heats up. Doesn't melt off and get all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.