SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was handling my new sig (229 legion) with some snap caps in and stupidly was lowering the hammer with my thumb just to see how it felt. Probably did it about 20 times. I have now figured out how wrong I was to do this (not a lot of experience), but I am also wondering If possibly I have damaged my trigger sear or something. I am sending it in for trigger work soon (sig armorer)- will they be able to tell if something is wrong?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
13,843 Posts
homebody, if that's all you did, it's doubtful you did any harm to the pistol. The reason for the De-cocker on the Sig, is for "Safety", trying to lower a cocked hammer, on a round chambered in the barrel, can be hazardous to your, and others health, if the hammer "slips" from your thumb.
Being as the pistol is new, I can't understand the reasoning for sending it in for trigger work. Break it in by firing it, at least 500 rounds. That will allow the parts to wear "in" together, just make sure you lube it up well! The trigger movement will smooth up, along with the slide to frame fit, making it seem like a different pistol from what you have now.
If you still feel, that you want trigger work done after it has broken in, then go for it.... it's your pistol.

·
Registered
300 Posts
In the old days many pistols didn't have de-cockers. We were expected to learn how to manually un-cock safely.
Your pistol should be fine.

Locke

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Every time you fire your Sig an explosion takes place generating 10's of thousand psi causing the slide to violently slam to the rear. When it does slam to the rear it also (among other things) drives the hammer back to the full cock position with extreme force. There's nothing you can do manipulating the hammer that even remotely creates the same amount of physical force. I absolutely guarantee you that you didn't hurt your gun in any way.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
What everybody above said... You didn't hurt anything, and couldn't possibly have done so! The decocker is a safety device for lowering the hammer over a live round. Decocking manually like you did will never hurt the gun... just don't do it with live ammo for safety reasons; use the decocker instead!

Regarding a trigger job... Legions come WITH a factory trigger job, so why would you want more work on it??? Put a few hundred rounds through it before making ANY changes to let the gun settle in first. I think you'll find it doesn't need anything except cleaning and more oil/grease! :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
... I am also wondering If possibly I have damaged my trigger sear or something. ..
What makes you think you damaged your pistol? If you did - then you got a defected gun and by all means send it back! What you are describing is the normal operation of the hammer. On a single action 1911, you have to hold the hammer and pull the trigger to let the hammer down with out it going BOOM (similar to what you are describing). I think Caveman summed it up very nicely.

Now take that bad boy to the range and have some fun.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Let me ask one silly question - Did you have the slide installed as you were doing this dry fire exercise? If so, very unlikely you have any damage. If not, very likely you did some damage to the frame and possibly more components.
He says he had snap caps in the gun, so I've got to believe the slide was on.

What damage happens to the frame and components if you lower the hammer without the slide on?

·
Registered
474 Posts

What damage happens to the frame and components if you lower the hammer without the slide on?
Yeah what the hell? Wondering what he's going on about.

To the OP. You gotta do a lot more than that to hurt a sig. I would suggest not throwing it in a chipper shredder and not slamming a sledge hammer into it and it's gonna most likely be fine.

·
Premium Member
18,474 Posts
As I said, likely a silly question, but wanted to confirm.

If you pull the trigger and allow the hammer to fall freely without the slide in place, the sear/sear pin stop the hammer travel. This action, especially on an alloy frame, can cause the sear pin hole in the frame to enlarge or become disfigured. Bending the sear pin and damage to the sear is also a possibility.

Not saying this is the case but also curious why one would think dropping the hammer with the slide in place, especially with snap caps present, could lead to damage.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
If you pull the trigger and allow the hammer to fall freely without the slide in place, the sear/sear pin stop the hammer travel. This action, especially on an alloy frame, can cause the sear pin hole in the frame to enlarge or become disfigured. Bending the sear pin and damage to the sear is also a possibility.
School is in session! Thanks MT.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts

Not sure on the Sig, but on the 1911 you can crack the frame or peen it so that it won't go into battery anymore. Probably the same here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.