SIG Talk banner

Low left shot pattern

5437 37
With my P320 compact my shot pattern is consistently in the 7-9 o'clock position. In a steady rest it is fine. I have worked on my trigger pull, but haven't noticed an improvement. I have fairly large hands. Would increasing the frame from a medium to large make any difference or am I overthinking this?
Reactions: Lancer L5 AWM
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
With my P320 compact my shot pattern is consistently in the 7-9 o'clock position. In a steady rest it is fine. I have worked on my trigger pull, but haven't noticed an improvement. I have fairly large hands. Would increasing the frame from a medium to large make any difference or am I overthinking this?
Shoot one handed and see if it still hitting in same area. If not, it could be your support hand. A buddy had this same issue (7-9 O'clock) with a 1911. He realized it was his support grip (thumb) throwing him low-left.

Shoot strong-hand and slowly introduce the support adding more and tighter grip each time to find the "proper" grip for you and that pistol.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sounds like you might have too much finger on the trigger and you're hooking the finger around the trigger & pulling the shots low left. Vice versa with a lefty. That's usually the problem that happens to shooters. Try placing trigger in the middle pad of trigger finger and press straight rearward. This will probably solve the problem.

If you go to the extreme and place tip of your finger on the trigger, the bullet placement usually goes up and to the right. Trigger finger placement is key.

·
Registered
383 Posts
This is where red dots and lasers come in handy. They sell laser bore sights that might help. Some of the less expensive ones look similar to a bullet. I bought a couple different sizes on Amazon. That said, I have doubts on their accuracy. Reason I say that, is because I compared the results with pistols that already had Lasermax guide rod lasers and there was a noticeable difference between the two. That said, accuracy of the laser isn't important, it's trigger control you are trying to get a handle on.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
The bigger grip could be worth a try but low and left is typical flinching for a right hand shooter or possibly you are tightening the rest of your strong hand when you press the trigger (called milking the trigger" rather that isolating the strong hand from the trigger finger during the trigger press. Dry firing, with an empty pistol of course, may show that.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/teaching-trigger-control/ --- article on trigger control

A lot of ranges offer one on one instruction with a qualified trainer who can help a shooter by watching them and then showing correct technique and coaching the shooter to use correct technique. Such training is very reasonable priced and a lot have reported great improvement with one session.

The drill below will definitely show if you are flinching. If you are flinching you need to take some time on the fundamentals and be slow and deliberate when firing the pistol and speed can come later. The link below may help with flinching as can wearing better ear protection. As far as the drill in the video, assuming you are flinching, dry fire on the target at the range until you are staying on target and then repeat the drill. Pretty much every shooter will experience flinching at some point including myself and sometimes I develop a flinch out of the blue LOL.

The last videos are on pistol grip technique. Good grip can go a long way to managing recoil which can help with flinching. When I grip my pistol I use more grip strength with my support hand than my strong hand. With my strong hand I use about "firm handshake" grip strength and grip the pistol grip pinching it into my strong hand with front to back pressure on the pistol grip.

https://www.policeone.com/patrol-is...coming-the-flinch-response-Let-recoil-happen/

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
Scooter.
The Laser Lite system is the boss. I have used it with my multiple pistols and at 15 yes, it has allowed me to get Extremely consistent 3 inch troops every time. I have extremely good an consistent accuracy for the .40 and 9MM inserts (Don't have one yet for 357)

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
Welcome from PA!

Very common issue with new shooters I had same problem, low left hits.

I was pulling trigger straight back. Now, squeeze trigger til it hits the break point, stop, then squeeze gently to fire. No jerking motion of trigger really helped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can almost guarantee its more you the shooter. I consistently have the same exact issue with every gun I fire and keep working to get past it. My p320rx fullsize is my most accurate and if i use a bench and a gun rest bag the red dot is dead nuts on. Then when i shoot without it im almost guaranteed to be low left, some days more than others but slowly improving.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Agree with above. Sig 320s shoot low. Once I installed the proper sights on my .40 and using a combat picture..it shoots where I point it.
What are "proper sights"? My 9 has 6F8R, many say the 9mm should have 8/8 and the 40s had 6/8, and many others oppose and say it is shooter error.

I am just compensating for now since Sig didn't want to replace it, but maybe I spoke to the wrong rep.

·
Registered
636 Posts

I got a tip from soneone in this forum that was a huge help improving my accuracy immensely. I have had a 1911 type trigger before getting this P320. This is my first striker fired gun.

All I did was get a firm grip (nothing different there) and with my trigger finger, I move it from using the finger tip (Like i did for my 1911) to moving it back a bit to the first joint and even though that did improve things I took it one step further where I found the sweet spot. I now use the pad between the fingertip joint and second joint.

Gone to the range 3 times since learning that and although not perfect, I can hit where I put the red dot most of the time now where before that was rare. A huge improvement.

I also dry fire at home for practice.

Hope this helps..

Reactions: Scooter22

·
Registered
151 Posts
What are "proper sights"? My 9 has 6F8R, many say the 9mm should have 8/8 and the 40s had 6/8, and many others oppose and say it is shooter error.

I am just compensating for now since Sig didn't want to replace it, but maybe I spoke to the wrong rep.
I just changed my front sight on my 9mm from a #6 to a #8. It got me closer on target and practice will get me the rest of the way. It took me 3 phone calls to Sig to have them replace it at no charge. Persistence pays off!

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
Sometimes the size of the gun can make a difference as it relates to the size of the hands. Are you anticipating the recoil? That can sometimes affect the accuracy, and you don't really realize you're doing it. Maybe have a friend watch you shoot to see of there is any type of movement right before you pull the trigger.

Then there is the whole POA/POI scenario. You may want to change where you're aiming to see if it has a holdover or dead on. Does the gun have factory sights, or aftermarket?

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
Sounds like you might have too much finger on the trigger and you're hooking the finger around the trigger & pulling the shots low left. Vice versa with a lefty. That's usually the problem that happens to shooters. Try placing trigger in the middle pad of trigger finger and press straight rearward. This will probably solve the problem.

If you go to the extreme and place tip of your finger on the trigger, the bullet placement usually goes up and to the right. Trigger finger placement is key.
IDK, but this seems backwards to me. This rule may be different on a long DA pull vs a short SA pull. Not sure what category the P320 trigger would be though.
In this scenario, having too much finger on the trigger for a RH shooter would push the gun low left, not pull, but the concept is on point. Making sure that the finger is flat against the trigger when fully depressed will help immensely.

·
Registered
636 Posts

I know alot of folks say that a #8 rear and #6 front will shoot low on a 9mm..

My front sight is clearly a #6 and the back I cannot tell because even with a magnifying glass, what I see doesn't even remotely resemble a number.

On the bottom left side of the rear sight there is like a blob of metal. It looks like that is where it was removed from the mold and some of the melted metal left a tiny dollop. I have to assume it is a #8.

Anyway with a gun rest at 21 feet, it shot about on inch directly below the center bullseye (6 o'clock).

No too bad so I decided to stick with that.. My optic has been adjusted a bit so it is spot on now..

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I appreciate that you have shot from a rest and realize it's you :). My guess would be that it's not so much your trigger pull as you anticipating the recoil. It's easy to dry fire and have a very smooth trigger pull, then go back to jerking the pistol down when you are shooting live ammunition. Have someone else load a random number or rounds, or mix a dummy round in with your mag and you'll likely see the jerk.

I've had this same problem and it's getting better slowly.

Here's a post I made on this subject attempting to pull together more info in one spot.
http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/192354-does-your-sig-shoot-low.html

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.