SIG Talk banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I know some of it is due to subconscious anticipation of the shot. Did the dummy round drill with an instructor using my lightweight J-frame a while ago and saw what I was doing first hand. I try and let the shot surprise me and I've tried adjusting my grip, trigger finger position, etc. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... and it's the inconsistency that bothers me. I have a Hogue 365 Handall grip sleeve coming tomorrow as the gun does tend to squirm around in my hand during a string of fire. I'll see how it feels and more importantly how it works at the range and report the results back here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Man I was having the same problem today at 5 yards. Tight group but low and left every time. Gripping the gun hard too. I've been dry firing like crazy at home...working on a firm grip and smooth trigger pull. Hmm…

Eye Font World Handwriting Circle

·
Registered
352 Posts
Man I was having the same problem today at 5 yards. Tight group but low and left every time. Gripping the gun hard too. I've been dry firing like crazy at home...working on a firm grip and smooth trigger pull. Hmm…

View attachment 420228
Are you doing a combat hold? Forgive me if that's been stated earlier in this thread. If you're not running a combat hold with the P365, that could account for some of the low. I say that, as you seem pretty close to centerline now but the low is still relatively pronounced. If you're doing a 6 o'clock hold, then that may explain the low. Left is trigger work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Are you doing a combat hold? Forgive me if that's been stated earlier in this thread. If you're not running a combat hold with the P365, that could account for some of the low. I say that, as you seem pretty close to centerline now but the low is still relatively pronounced. If you're doing a 6 o'clock hold, then that may explain the low. Left is trigger work.
Yea I’ve been doing the combat hold, but I think I may need to raise it up just a tad. I’m gonna try that next time at the range and while dry firing. Trigger wise I feel like my finger is where it should be but maybe I need to play around with it a bit.

·
Registered
397 Posts
For myself I don't find the combat hold all that intuitive and have to really cover the bullseye extremely well. Flinching on the other hand isn't an issue as I've owned quite a few really small auto's prior to sigs 365 series, shooting a keltec pf9 and g43 a lot likely helped immensely.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Regarding trigger pull, try this: The less flesh thickness (as opposed to bone) you have on the trigger, the better. You want bone on the trigger, not thick flesh. Thick flesh means extra "take-up" and there's more of a chance your going to "push or pull" the trigger. So, on your right finger, feel the bone beneath the flesh. See the picture. Feel your finger and find the bone marked in red. On me, the majority of the bone that I feel is just the left of the flesh crease (the green line in the picture). So, I would want to place the trigger just to the left of the flesh crease. This may or may not work for you, but give it a try!
Hand Human body Gesture Thumb Finger

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know that all of this advice is good but one thing I never see anyone talk about is vision. I often shoot low and left with both eyes open. My poi improves greatly when I close my non dominant eye. I think that a significant contributor to the low left poi is vision.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The Hogue Handall was a good (and inexpensive) investment for me. I have slightly larger than child like hands and the grip now feels much better to me. It does not want to squirm around as much under rapid fire and seemed to help the "low and left". At 71, my eyes just about allow me to consistently put the front sight on the center of the target in a combat hold. This is 15 rounds (3 mags/5 rds each) rapid fire of Fed 147 gr. FP FMJ from the ready at 30'. Almost all shots within 6" dia. Not great groups but for a self defense situation it would suffice.
Black Style Recreation Pattern Art

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sig P365 with 650 rounds through it. Shooting with10 round mag with pinky extension and 10 round flush using both hands standing at 25', I seem to be shooting low and left more than I would like. I get several bullseyes but the majority of hits are low and left, (147 grain gives me better groups that are more centered on target and one handed shooting also brings the groups higher). What am I doing wrong? If you have had that problem how did you fix it?
could be if you are shooting right handed that instead of a slow easy pull of the trigger straight back you may be jerking a little . Try dry fire watching the handgun when you squeeze the trigger for it to pull left and down.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, good firm grip, press the trigger with just the middle of your finger tip as in previous illustration. And as I tell all my students " don't be a jerk" press the trigger don't jerk it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've shown this before, and not all of my groups are like this, but when I take my time and really try to make a group... this happens. I didn't have to correct anything. This is a standard P365 with a 12 round mag and no other mods. It's always done this. The gun is capable.

Slow fire. 12 rounds. Seven yards. Moderately firm grip (not so tight that my hands shake).

If I have any thoughts as I shoot, I try to focus on this one. "The dot must be ON the target WHEN THE SEAR RELEASES".

Everybody shakes a little. I can sense when the sear is about to release and I want that front sight on the target at that moment.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've shown this before, and not all of my groups are like this, but when I take my time and really try to make a group... this happens. I didn't have to correct anything. This is a standard P365 with a 12 round mag and no other mods. It's always done this. The gun is capable.

Slow fire. 12 rounds. Seven yards. Moderately firm grip (not so tight that my hands shake).

If I have any thoughts as I shoot, I try to focus on this one. "The dot must be ON the target WHEN THE SEAR RELEASES".

Everybody shakes a little. I can sense when the sear is about to release and I want that front sight on the target at that moment.
Fine shooting! Looks like you have a pretty good handle on that shaking thing! My grandfather taught me what you said about the front sight. (y)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I seem to be shooting low and left more than I would like.
OK, first, consistent grip. Find a spot on the gun, like the line where the grip comes onto the frame, and then a line, i.e., a palmprint on your hand. Line them up, every damn time.

Second, flinch drills: Not easy with strikers, but...... Get a pencil, wrap it with masking tape at the *** end, and about an inch from the end of the barrel, so that that the pencil can be centered in the barrel, yet be propelled forward by the firing pin. Set up a target on the wall, standoff about 1-2 inches, and dry-fire. This will show you how you are grouping, and flinching. You're not practicing targeting, but grouping and reducing flinching / pulling.

Don't forget to sharpen the pencil. :cool:

Now, if all of this doesn't help, don't hesitate to bump the sights around....... BUT, get a consistent group using the aforementioned techniques FIRST.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I cast my vote for:

1) Too little of the pad of your finger on the trigger, and/or
1) Anticipating the concussion of the recoil.

Try some dry firing with a penny balanced on the slide. Try not to let it fall off...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts