SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sig P365 with 650 rounds through it. Shooting with10 round mag with pinky extension and 10 round flush using both hands standing at 25', I seem to be shooting low and left more than I would like. I get several bullseyes but the majority of hits are low and left, (147 grain gives me better groups that are more centered on target and one handed shooting also brings the groups higher). What am I doing wrong? If you have had that problem how did you fix it?

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P226 Elite and P365 XL
322 Posts
Sig P365 with 650 rounds through it. Shooting with10 round mag with pinky extension and 10 round flush using both hands standing at 25', I seem to be shooting low and left more than I would like. I get several bullseyes but the majority of hits are low and left, (147 grain gives me better groups that are more centered on target and one handed shooting also brings the groups higher). What am I doing wrong? If you have had that problem how did you fix it?
I am not the expert here. When I shot mainly low and left few hundred rounds with a certified instructor, his response was “ definitely your grip” and suggested adjustments and a tighter grip on the P226. Good luck

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Assuming you have a good grip on the pistol, low and left is most often the result of trigger finger problems:
  1. Anticipating the recoil results in a jerking motion pulling the shot low and often to the left.
  2. The trigger should be moving straight back when the pistol fires. If your finger is not in far enough for you to feel the left side of the trigger you will push the shot to the left and often low.
I've been shooting handguns for about 50 years. When I'm concentrating on accuracy and I get a bunch of good hits and then one out in left field, for me, the culprit is always one of the above.

We all do things like this on occasion. Don't get discouraged.

·
Registered
338 Posts
SIG is a combat sight pistol with stock dot, which goes directly over the target. The older sight picture with blade balanced the target on top.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
This is a popular right hand shooting diagnostic target:

Font Circle Parallel Symmetry Diagram

Look to your grip consistency.

You may find a tool like the MantisX helpful for training in both dry fire and live fire.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I suspect your first shots are closer to the bullseye, and you drift away as you shoot more. I also suspect you're tightening your grip as you start your trigger press on follow up shots anticipating the recoil. I do this some from time to time. To correct this I do some double action only shooting to get back used to a proper grip/trigger control, without anticipation.

Reactions: hauki

·
Registered
350 Posts
Shooting left could be attributable to your grip on the firearm, shooting low on the other hand could be out of your conscious control.
Recoil anticipation is a sub-conscious reflex that we cannot momentarily control. Your sub-conscious knows the gun is going to recoil and dips it to compensate for it. To prove this, I have loaded students magazines with periodic dummy rounds and videoed them shooting. They know I've loaded their magazine with bad round or two, they just don't know where. Sure enough when they get to the dummy round the nose of the gun will dip.

Let's face it, know the gun is going to recoil and have to consciously accept it and even to go as far as to embrace the it when it does.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I shoot low left when I tighten my support fingers on the grip. Being a righty, if I catch myself clenching my Middle Ring and Pinky finger as I shoot, the rounds always end up low left. Relax your fingers slightly while maintaining pressure with your palms.

·
Premium Member
P365X
31 Posts
I’ve found that when I’m shooting low and left, I’m “pushing” the trigger left. With these sub compact pistols, I’ve also found I stop shooting low and left when I insert my trigger finger further through the trigger guard and use the middle phalanx instead of the distal phalanx to pull the trigger. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I’ve found that when I’m shooting low and left, I’m “pushing” the trigger left. With these sub compact pistols, I’ve also found I stop shooting low and left when I insert my trigger finger further through the trigger guard and use the middle phalanx instead of the distal phalanx to pull the trigger. Hope this helps.
That does help some people, and even helped me, on certain guns. It's really a trial and error, and the first good step is asking and getting info and advice. Play around with it. One gun I could not figure the trigger out on the was the Taurus GX4, and usually with some of the trial and error we're suggesting, I can figure a trigger out in a few magazines. I really thought it was going to be the bees knees, but regardless of what I did, I always threw shots a little left. I had two at one point, both did it. I come back to this realm and, if I do my part, shots are on every time. Glocks were the same way, too, always accurate if I did my part.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts