SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If you have a German made Classic Sig and want to know the date it was produced, this may be of help. This has been posted on other forums but I have not seen it discussed here.

Much more information is available here - courtesy of Ferrari Steve.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks, Reliable. That's a new one for me. I just picked up a German 228 at a gunshow here (new, in box, unfired), and the inside grip panel indicated 1993. The KD stamp on the slide confirms this. Thanks again !

·
Registered
57 Posts
I completely read the title of this thread in a completely different meaning then what it is, its actually kinda funny cause i sadly started thinking about my recent dates and how much i like my sig and thought "maybe i would date my sig if it was possible"

·
Registered
56 Posts
My P6 has NW stamped on right side of slide and 1/84. Also serial number starts with M. Any clue to the manuf. date?:confused:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My P6 has NW stamped on right side of slide and 1/84. Also serial number starts with M. Any clue to the manuf. date?:confused:
From the NW, I would estimate early 80's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I own a very early P229 thats AB. This date does not add up. mine is from the early 90s AB135XX. that date code at the top of the page shows 01?

·
Registered
467 Posts
My German sig is already spoken for but, if I get a new one that is single and interested, I'll be sure to have her contact you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The data above apply for commercial proof only. Proof marks for German government contracts look different. Firearms issued with a federal department normally has federal proof marks. Firearms bought form a German normally have commercial proof marks, but can have federal proof marks. It depends on the contract and the capacity of the proof houses.

Most P6 pistols issued in Germany have federal proof marks. Export pistols made for foreign authorities have commercial proof marks and additonal proof marks of the country IF they have different specifications. P6 and P225 pistols assembled in Switzerland have Swiss proof marks only.
This two letters refered to as "date code" is actually the "proof date" when the test was performed. If it's applied depends on the proof law of the country that was performing the proof test. It's not applied from SIG.

The manufacturing date on a P6 is the date found on the RH side of the slide. 6/82 means June 1982. Although it's not clear if its the manufacturing date of the pistol, the proof date or the date when it was added to inventory.

·
Registered
55,051 Posts
I own a very early P229 thats AB. This date does not add up. mine is from the early 90s AB135XX. that date code at the top of the page shows 01?
ab/229 isn't the same for other dating of sigs in op.:cool:

my ab17xxx/triple s/n 40 was dated by sig as nov '92 so yours may be from '91-92, also check the date on grip panels if original.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks, Reliable. That's a new one for me. I just picked up a German 228 at a gunshow here (new, in box, unfired), and the inside grip panel indicated 1993. The KD stamp on the slide confirms this. Thanks again !
for informational purpose... the 2 numbers inside grip panels do not always jive with the year of gun's manufacture. sometimes a new gun had grips that were manufactured prior to the gun's year of assembly. things just didn't always line up perfectly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a sig 229 with no rail in 9mm. The serial number on the lower frame begins with AL. How can I date this firearm? Google is no help so far.

Thank you for any help what so ever.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Bearone2 is trying to hone in on the date...after a point, some cannot be dated but you may get close by following clues...like the grip plates or the Trijicon sight date or letter codes on later Meprolight made night sights...

Bill

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm sorry but my German Sig is already spoken for.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
@silversport: I'm assuming your post was for me? And if so, I don't have any of those on this Sig. Factory non-night sights with the one white notch in back and dot in front. Condition is practically new. Looks like any other older generation 229. Would the rest of the serial number help with tracking it down?

1 - 20 of 205 Posts