SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent thread I saw stampings on a West German 228 and was given the secret code on how to decipher it. I looked at my 228 also a West German and could find no such markings. A suggestion was made that a birthday could possibly be determined by the serial number, so here is all the information I could find...Thanks in advance for any help. E28-9-DAO-g TSS, Law Enforcement Restricted, s/n: B304526 , P228-9 DAO,3Mags,LE13RD.

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
No "secret" codes on 228s.

I have a P228, with a KF proof mark on slide, "under the chin", indicating, made in 1995.

There are many sites on the web that will tell you what year the 228 was built.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
My W. German P220 has a '95 shield stamp. What's up with that?
That seems to be the final year some SIGs came out of the factory with W. German roll marks, despite the fact that unification occurred in 1990, creating one Germany out of East and West.

Some say it took SIG that long to use up pre-existing inventory, others say that that was how long after the unification they were legally allowed to continue using the W. German moniker.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
If your P228 does not have any German proof markings, then it would have been assembled in the U.S. and technically not a West German, or even German SIG. However, I don't believe SIG began assembling P228s in the U.S. until well after 2005 when it was "discontinued".

Are there matching serial numbers on the slide and barrel? Since the serial number places the date of manufacture around 2000 and 2001, as Malicious stated, then perhaps the proof marks with date code ( AA or AB ) are on the left side of the barrel hood (some disassembly required :)) and your P228 could still be German made.

·
P228 Sherpa
7,428 Posts
That seems to be the final year some SIGs came out of the factory with W. German roll marks, despite the fact that unification occurred in 1990, creating one Germany out of East and West.

Some say it took SIG that long to use up pre-existing inventory, others say that that was how long after the unification they were legally allowed to continue using the W. German moniker.
I think he was referring to the actual "95" that was stamped where you would usually find the 2-letter date code. I've seen such example on some final W. German P220s.

·
P228 Sherpa
7,428 Posts
If your P228 does not have any German proof markings, then it would have been assembled in the U.S. and technically not a West German, or even German SIG. However, I don't believe SIG began assembling P228s in the U.S. until well after 2005 when it was "discontinued".
Actually, SIG USA started assembling the P228 as early as year 2000. There are plenty of year 2000 P228s that have only single serial # (on frame) and no German proof marks or date code. A couple of mine:

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I think Apap was referring to this, although I have never heard an explanation for it. Not mine, but I am pretty sure I have permission to use it. :unsure:

Don't think I've seen that before. Cool; thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I stand corrected again on P228s by 12131. :rolleyes::p

My first experience with U.S. assembled P228s were the ones with P229 SAS frames around 2010, or so. Feel free to correct me on that, too, although I think I covered myself with the "or so". :lol:

·
P228 Sherpa
7,428 Posts
My first experience with U.S. assembled P228s were the ones with P229 SAS frames around 2010, or so. Feel free to correct me on that, too, although I think I covered myself with the "or so". :lol:
Impossible to correct something that is one's personal experience. You know, I tried to look for some angle, but came up with nothing.:lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess that I'm not sure exactly what I have. I thought that it was a West German 228, but it only says "P228 Made in Germany" I tried to post a picture of it but I don't know how. My avatar however is a picture of the markings. So does anyone know what I have? Is there any significance to Made in Germany. I did not realize that there were so many versions of German 228's West German, W German, and Made in Germany??? Confused the heck our of me.

·
Registered
20,961 Posts
To attach a pic, click on "Go Advanced" below message box. Now click "manage attachments" in "attach files" box under "additional options". Click "browse" and look for the picture on your computer. Click "upload" then "Submit Reply". Voila.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.