SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to CC and have been experimenting with a proper front pocket carry gun. I have bought 3 guns in the last couple of months and am still looking for a better solution. First I got a small 38, it would work in my front pocket but it is a bit heavy. So I then got a 9mm pistol that has a 12 round magazine, not thinking about pocket carry, and it is too large for that job. The next effort is a Taurus 709 Slim, this will work in my front pocket but it seems a bit large. That brings me to this forum, I am looking a a Sig P938, it seems to be the best size in a 9 mm to pocket carry.

I have been reading things on this forum that are making me a bit cautious. Lots of talk about "issue" that people have had or are having with mechanical things like ejectors and springs. I am not one that wants to be working on a gun or diagnosing problems. I realize that there are pros and cons to every gun and also those that like and dislike them. If a P938 is going to need "Tender loving care" it may not be what I need.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have both a 938 and 238 and carry one or the other daily in my pocket, mostly the 938. Concealing is not a problem and I have not had any mechanical issues with either of mine.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Well, for starters, I'm not a fan of the whole "pocket gun" concept to begin with, and I am certainly not a fan of putting a SA pistol in my pocket. There are those who love the little 938, and God love them, but for me it is entirely too expensive to have the issues associated with them. If you get a good one you've got a good one, but you are taking your chances. Not for me.

However, if you're just determined to CC with a "pocket gun" I would encourage you to look at the Ruger LCP, the Kel-Tec .380, S&W Bodyguard, and perhaps a Glock 42. Kahr also offers a few good options for this type carry, but unless you're just bent on carrying in your pocket then I would really rather suggest finding a nice sub-compact gun for IWB carry. This opens the door to a lot more options, to include the P938 (if you really want one). The P238 enjoys a significantly better reputation than its big brother, 938, and it is a synch to carry IWB.

Also, other good models in the single stack line to consider would be the Walther PPS or CCP, the S&W Shield 9mm, the Springfield XDs, or the Glock 43. For double stack strikers I would point you to the G26, P320sc, S&W M&Pc, Springfield XD compact, Sig P90 or the FN compact. For DA/SA double stack models I would point you to the HK P30sk, Sig P224, Beretta Storm P4sc and maybe the FNX 9sc. For single stack DA/SA have a look at the Sig P225, P239, or the venerable Walther PPK in .380.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Shield is an excellent gun, you can also look at some lightweight 38s. i pocket carry a S&W 637 Performance Center 38

Reactions: BRL45

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Guys, for your input. I know that pocket carry is not for everyone. I have looked at several of the guns that were mentioned. I could not accept the Ruger's trigger, it pinched my finger. I also, due to my well being, will only carry a gun in my pocket that has a manual safety, that eliminates many of them. I have two 9 MM that I like to shoot but they are not entirely comfortable to pocket carry. I am hoping to get more positive feedback on the reliability of the P938. Many of the posts I have read indicate issues with those that were early makes, and that Sig has "improved" certain things on the newer builds.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I have a 938 that I pocket carry. I am very happy with this gun, it is accurate at 10 yards plus. I have put hundreds of rounds through it. My wife has shot this gun also and likes it. I have read many people have problems with the seven round mag dropping when shooting. Many have sent their gun back to sig. when returned they don't have any further problems. I believe that a lot of the cause of this is that when you use the 7 round magazine it changes your hand position and are bumping the mag release. A stronger spring that is being put into the release is what the fix has been.

After field stripping this gun some have had to work hard to put the recoil spring back in. There is a easy way to do this. You tube it and you will see there is a fix for this. Like most tools when new there is a learning curve.

You may also want to look at the Kimber micro 9. It is a clone of this gun. If you go to the Kimber forum you will see that their are similiar complaints if you want to call them that I have gotten the impression that it is higher priced then the 938 at the gun shops.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Keep in mind that the P938 has been a good seller for SIG, there's a lot of them out there. I have no idea what percentage of these guns have had problems, but people are more likely to get on line to bemoan that that to praise a gun for doing what it should. SIG's QC and been less than stellar, and I cannot abide by that sort of foolishness in their management - exceedingly short sighted IMO.

I have 3 from the '14 - '15 period. Only issue was the two piece guide rod starting to unscrew on one - red Loctite.

As you mentioned, they had teething pains early on. I think those are behind us. The gun is solid and accurate. As to pocket carrying a SA gun condition 1, if the holster covers the safety - both sides on the ambi, that's good enough for me. I converted a couple of mine to single sided safety - easy to do ordering safety lever and hammer pivot pin from a P238 from SIG, and inexpensive. Otherwise, the pocket holster should cover both safeties - most especially the outboard on if you crawl around in, on, or under equipment.

Mostly carry and ex-LEO P229 40, but I would not want to give up my P938.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just sent back my wife's P938 as the barrel locked up the action. Could not see why. It's been at Sig for 1.5 weeks now.

As to pocket carry, only and only when I cannot carry IWB with a smaller 9mm like a Kahr PM9, Glock 43, Glock 27, EMP-40. Kel-Tec P-32 in back pocket holster when IWB is not practical.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I never pocket carry, but I have gotten a Shield since they are practically giving them away, I also have a PPS. and a retired Solo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good information so far, guys. Glad to hear that many of you are satisfied with your P938. I'm still doing my research, I am also looking at the Sig 380. Kind of strange that the 380 is often priced higher than the 9mm.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I've had my p938 Equinox for almost three years. It works flawlessly with any ammo. So far I have well over 1,000 rounds fired. I bought it with the idea of using it to replace my Ruger lcp for daily pocket carry. I tried to make the change but I guess the little lcp has me spoiled. It's just too much smaller and lighter. I don't think you can beat the Ruger lcp for pocket carry. I've tried the LCR (too fat), the Ruger lc9s and I now have the Glock 43. I don't think you can beat the little LCP.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Looking for the "right" pocket carry gun...I hope you're not left handed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just started to pocket carry, with the weather getting warmer shorts are my work attire. I got a little bodyguard 380 as someone said they are practically giving them away,

Reactions: Luckypup

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you are looking for a simple to use, easy to draw, goes bang every time, and can handle +P loads.....then I highly recommend a S&W 442 Airweight.

They are DAO and have integral sights....both features are fine for what the gun is designed for....a snag free, trouble free, 5-shot that will be used at very close range.

Not as much fun to shoot at the range due to the DAO trigger & sights as a G43 or P938, but very, very effective. I did buy a 638 for my wife, as it allows similar snag-free draws, yet allows single action shooting, too. This makes it more fun for improved accuracy at the range and actually surprises the heck out of me in some cases at the plinking performance of the little wheelgun.

I'm not sure what they are finished with, but mine is several years old and has been carried in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and shot at every range session that it was my carry gun that day. It looks as good now as when it was new.

Pocket carry is fine but I really prefer a belt holster. I'm trying my best to get stuff out of my pockets.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The p238 is a great gun smaller than the 938 fun to shot . Pocket guns are get the f off me guns 380 will be fine.I have two they are awesome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would recommend the LCP. The second generation one, where they fixed the trigger length. It breaks a little sooner on the pull. It had a little better sight than the first one too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Highly recommend you look at, and try to shoot, the Kahr CM9. I couldn't justify the increase to the PM9 but that was years ago. They may have come down now; just wasn't worth the premium to me. I love the little gun and have a great pocket holster, which is a MUST, and use it most frequently. Still carry the S&W M&P 9c, but that's on a belt. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts