SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

I am looking for a 22lr pistol for having fun at the range. My daughter (17) and I rented a 22lr pistol at the range the other day. She really enjoyed shooing it and trying to keep tight groups. The gun was a Ruger Mark II.

Any thoughts on which pistol to get or thoughts on how to go about deciding?

The price range I am thinking is $400 or less.

Thanks,
-John

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
What is the pistol for? If it just for the range fun, then I recommend getting her the gun you rented, but if it is for defense, then I recommend something no smaller in caliber than a .380. The Glock 42 would be a fine choice at that budget. My daughter, 12, is able to shoot my Glock 19 very accurately, with rapid fire, and loves it, so I would think your daughter is more than able to handle a .380 or 9mm. The best way to go about deciding is to get your hands on as many guns as you can. Look for how the gun fits her hands, how she is able to manipulate the controls, and how well she is able to break it down to maintain it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm a fan of the S&W Victory 22. I've taught a few kids how to shoot with mine.
I recommend checking one out.

·
Read Only
7,297 Posts
Mosquito. It trains so well on FTE FTF etc etc.. Great training pistol..
But, I would listen to others on 22LR pistols that arent so sensitive initially.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Why not a P938 with the .22 conversion kit? Could be converted back to 9mm when she decides to CCW.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
The Mosquito is no longer offered by SIG but is still made by German Sport Guns as the FireFly - same gun. I got mine for just under $250 out the door and only shoot higher velocity rounds like CCI Mini Mags and Browning BPR 40gr round nose. I've fired about 550 rounds through mine with very few FTEs or FTFs. It is 90% of the size of a P226 but very similar otherwise. Some people will say they are junk because they won't be happy with cheaper low velocity ammo, but 6.5 cents per round (BPRs) is cheap enough for me and I have a ball with mine.

·
Read Only
7,297 Posts
The Mosquito is no longer offered by SIG but is still made by German Sport Guns as the FireFly - same gun. I got mine for just under $250 out the door and only shoot higher velocity rounds like CCI Mini Mags and Browning BPR 40gr round nose. I've fired about 550 rounds through mine with very few FTEs or FTFs. It is 90% of the size of a P226 but very similar otherwise. Some people will say they are junk because they won't be happy with cheaper low velocity ammo, but 6.5 cents per round (BPRs) is cheap enough for me and I have a ball with mine.
I like my Mosquito too. It works, but I do try to feed it CCi mini etc, and will look into Browning BPR, which is supposedly made by CCI

·
Banned
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I am going to try a 22 for a change to try and improve my accuracy--with no recoil. I asked for some recommendations from someone who is very good with a 22LR in Steel Challenge--so I'm going with a Browning Buckmark.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
I have owned a Browning Buckmark over 4 years.

Ergo designed grip will fit any hand. Accurate bull barrel allows the .22 LR to do its thing!!!

Priced under $400, usually. There are many models.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
The Ruger SR22 is very reliable and is plenty accurate for range fun. Easy to takedown and clean too.

The other thing to think about is getting a 229 or 226 chambered in 22LR. Later, when she is ready, you can pick up a centerfire conversion kit for it in whatever caliber she wants.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
I suppose there's something to be said for a 22 conversion kit for a P-Series, the gun will be the same, controls, etc. I have one for the P229 and don't think that's the best way to go. Once sorted out (mine had extractor to barrel notch fit issues and hunk up on the slide a bit), they will run fine - usually. They can tend to be ammo picky and slide hold open on last shot doesn't. Magazines are not realistically priced and won't fit many mag loader contraptions.

I recommend one of the purpose built 22's over most any conversion - it's not that difficult to transition from one gun to another, and doing so is actually a good thing for the training process IMO.

Ruger MK's (the IV is easy field strip), Buckmark (two screws to remove top strap to clean from breech), or the Victory (no experience but sounds good). Read the reviews on-line.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I love 22LR pistols and rifles, so much fun for so little money... even with the hoarding price increases.

I have a Ruger MkIII 22/45, installing the Majestic Arms quick takedown kit radically simplified basic cleaning on the pistol. I can only imagine how good the MkIV must be. I would always recommend a Ruger MK-series simply because they are classic and basically investments, you can always get out of it easily if you need to.

However, with that said, I did just pick up something interesting, a Walther SP22 M1 (there are M1, M2, M3, and M4 variants each with additional features). Different than a current P22, the SP22 was an experiment that they abandoned. This pistol has some radical features, not least of which is the appearance. It has an internal slide that is racked by two finger grips on the sides. Ridiculously little effort required. Trigger feel is not great but not horrible. Size is interesting in that it's actually bigger than a SIG P229 but the grip is not oversized. The weight is significantly less. Best of all is the price, used SP22s are shockingly affordable as they are the black sheep of the Walther family. I'm embarrassed to say how little I paid for mine.

Attachments

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,622 Posts
The Ruger Mark series has been around for years, and appear to be pretty reliable pistols.
I personally have a couple of rimfire pistols, an older model High Standard Sport King, and a recent Colt marked (Walther) 1911A1 style.
The High Standard is "steel", not aluminum, so a little heavier. It will function with standard velocity ammunition, which is what it was really designed for, but will fire high speed rounds also. It will eat most anything you feed it.
The Colt/Walther is finicky in its diet, requiring CCI Mini-Mags for trouble free operation, there is a lot of aluminum, so much lighter.

Used High Standards can be a little pricey, but there are normally a few always on Gun Broker, in a range of prices.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was in pretty much the same situation with my daughter.

I would not recommend the mosquito, its important that you try to make the experience as fun and enjoyable as possible and the last thing she needs as a beginning shooter are jams and ftf.
I know there are many out there that no issues but there are also many that do and there are just too many other guns that are more reliable.

My daughter liked both my buckmark and mark II and I had planned to give her the mark II but a friend had the new victory and after trying it a few times we decided to get her one. The mark II is a real pita to clean. We were able to get her a like new, perfect condition victory for $300.

She has about 5000 rounds through it and loves it. For $300 you cant go wrong with it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts