SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am new to this forum, but maybe Sig folks can tell me the "value" in a Sig over these others.

I have been around the net for 3 days looking at the 238, 938, Kimber Micro 9, Kel-Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP.

At first I did not want a 380, so I kept pushing for the Kimber or the 938. After reading on other forms and visiting the gun store, I decided that the two 9mm had problems that I did not want to deal with. Both guns had great magazine reviews, but too many 50/50 posts turned me off. I do not want to go into into here, but now the 380's are in my sights.

As you are aware, the Sig 238 is more than twice the price of the other two firearms. From what I have been reading, all 3 have excellent reviews...so is the $600 price tag for the 238 worth the value vis-a-vis the $300-$400 for these Ruger or the Kel-Tec. I assume those of you who have a 238 know of these others, and decided to go high market.
I would be interested in knowing why.

Also, if you know of a place to buy this 238 for under $600, please let me know.

I thank you for you help.

George K

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought a BNIB Sig P238 Sport with 3 mags, holster and case for $435 shipped. Also Grab a Gun had the P238 Nightmare on sale for $406.99 shipped and just today PSA had it listed for $399. Deals are out there. Just keep looking and you will score a great deal on one! It is worth the search!!

Reactions: Taxman and MMinSC

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Shooting the Ruger or the Keltec is not a lot of fun. Shooting the 238 is a dream. Such an accurate little gun with no recoil at all. Those little plastic 380s are good cheap alternatives but don't hold a candle quality to the 238. The LCP stings. If I went cheap, I'd lean towards the bodyguard personally.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'd eliminate the Kel-Tec from the list...IMO it's a poor quality weapon... I have an LCP Custom and it's definitely pocketable, surprisingly accurate, and reliable, but as mentioned, not great fun to shoot. The 238 is a sweet shooter, but has a 1911-like manual of arms and is made to be carried cocked and locked. Great gun if you are good with that manual of arms. I carry a 938 which is the 9mm version of the 238. I like it a lot. Very accurate and manageable 9mm. The Kimber Micro 9 is supposed to be a nice handgun, but I have no experience with it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have an LCP and a 938. Has the 938 going on 4 years and no problems.

Of your choices, I would buy the 238 if you want a 380. It shoots like a real gun. You will enjoy shooting it and get better and better. The LCP, which I use for the rare occasions where I do not want the 938, serves its purpose well but is more a gun to carry because you have to, not want to. The 238 will carry as easy as can be so you will not need an LCP.

BTW, where did you get the $300-$400 price for an LCP. Should be just over 2.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. My wife has a P238 and I have a P938. Both have been flawless and are a darn sight more accurate than either of us. Personally I am not a fan of plastic pistols and shoot single action far better than double action. You could not go wrong with either of the Sig's.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I bought a Kel-tec P3AT (.380) about 16 years ago, good pocket gun, Hated to fire it 2 to 3 mags and I was done. Along came the LPC, I bought one and like shooting it better than the Kel-Tec. When I bought the LPC I looked at the Sig P-238 I think it was just put on the market. I laughed when I was told the price.
A year or so later I decided that I wanted one and went on a quest to find one. Six months or so later I found the Equinox. I bought it (that was not the model I wanted) and carried it about 12 years, a real pleasure to shoot and very accurate for a little gun. I never had a problem. Almost three years ago I bought another Equinox, this time I stepped up to the 938. Again a great little gun, and became my winter carry. No problems with this gun, very accurate, and conceals well. It's a little snapper than the 238.
This past January at Shot Show I fell in Love with the Kimber Micro 9 in Desert tan with the Crimson Trace laser grips. Kimber offered it as a Shot Show special
with a standard and extended Magazine. Same price that I paid for the 938. It two is a great shooter and problem free.
My rating on the .380's in your question The Sig P238 would be my first choice, yes it's worth the extra dollars. Ruger's LPC would be my second and the Key-Tec would come in last. Save your money and get the sig. Another thought would be to rent them at the range and try them out, see witch fits best. You try on shoes before you buy don't you?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a P938 and I think it's a dream all the way around. It's small, light, powerful, accurate, and fun and easy to shoot. Yes, its a single action which means you carry cocked and locked but thats only an issue for some.

My nephew has the Kimber 9mm and comparing the two side by side, the Kimber is a a very nice gun too but it's bigger in size, heavier and it's a true 1911 with the grip safety. I just prefer the P938.

As information, I purchased mine in Oct 2016 and had zero problems with it. Even if you get a P938 with a problem, reading here SIG will fix any problems free of charge.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the 238, 938 and lc9 'll. Both the 238 and 938 are easy to shoot and very reliable. The lc9 is harder for me to keep on target. This could be do to being lighter than the other two, or just me. The lcp now has home in the safe and is only taken out rarely. I carry either the 238 or 938 every day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Kel-Tec P3AT and Kel-Tec PF9 along with a Sig P938. The Sig is nicer to shoot than both of the Kel-Tec pistols.

I weighed the Kel-Tec PF9 and Sig P938 fully loaded with 7 round magazines plus one in the chamber and there is only 2.6 oz difference between the two. The Sig is definitely easier to shoot (for me).

The Kel-Tec, Ruger and Taurus pistols have quite a bit of recoil and very long DA trigger pulls while the Sig pistols have a shorter SA trigger pull.

I purchased the Sig to replace the Kel-Tec PF9 because I prefer a SA trigger over a long DA trigger.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I own the LCP and 238/938. Each serves a different purpose. The LCP is my pocket gun when IWB/OWB isn't an option. It's not fun to shoot but is reliable and accurate. My 238 is my IWB gun for deep concealment. Easiest gun to shoot, reliable and accurate. My 938 is my normal EDC and very similar to my 238.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a P32 and a P238, and maybe I'm leaning too much towards the SIGSauer, but it feels as if the P238 has less recoil than the .32 ACP. The SIG weighs more than double the P32, so the extra weight may have something to with dampening the recoil of the (slightly) heavier bullet. In a typical shooting session, I run one magazine through the P32 to maintain proficiency with the pistol, and 50-plus rounds through the P238 because it's so much nicer to shoot.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a Sig 938 and 238, and also have a Colt pocket 9, double action only, and a Walther ppks .380, both solid stainless. The two Sigs are a pleasure to shoot compared to the other two, in terms of accuracy and comfort. I had looked at the Colt Mustang models and the Kimber micro's. Never considered a Ruger or Kel-Tec. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. My two little Sig's have been flawless in around 500 rounds between both, not a lot of rounds, but I did not get them to go shoot targets, but as self defense carry guns and they are good for that purpose. If I want to shoot bullseye, I will get out my Colt Gold Cup, or accurized Browning Hi Power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the LCP and the 938. As stated, the LCP, for me has been reliable, but is a pain to shoot. Mine is first gen and has an extremely long trigger pull. It is concealed very easily, pocket or IWB, it just disappears. If you don't plan on shooting it much, this would be the way to go.
The 938 is much easier to shoot. It doesn't conceal as easily, but there is no problem in doing so. I carry the 938 most of the time now.
The LCP also shared to duty with a Glock G26, but the 938 is a fantastic package in both size, comfort in carrying and ease of shooting. My Sig has 425 rounds through it so far. (3 trips to the range)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just went thru this at the beginning of the year. Wife and i went to gun range and rented several guns. Including P238/p938/lcp.

The p938 had just a bit too much snap for her. The P238 we both liked. And both Sigs she could rack the slide.

The lcp is quite a bit more felt snap than the p238. Perhaps because of the smaller slimmer grips. And she was unable to rack the slide of the ruger.

We picked up a P238 SAS and added the houge rubber grips. It is a pleasure to shoot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.