SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm newer to the SIG thing. I have been looking for a used P229 CPO or otherwise. I saw a new one on Top Gun for a really good price but it is 9mm. I have a couple of questions. If I buy one in .40 can I just buy a .357 barrel down the road? Second question is I have seen several people mention a short or long extractor. How do you know which one it has if looking online?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Top Gun Listing shows

Sig Sauer non-railed P229 in .40S&W. Comes with the original style Legacy slide, short extractor, night sights, E2 grips and standard trigger. Two 12RD magazines. New Old Stock.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Nothing wrong with it being a 9mm. I used to be concerned about the ability to shoot multiple calibers, but I eventually settled on 9mm. I have a P229 Legion in 357 Sig, but mainly shoot it with a 9mm Barsto conversion barrel. This way I only have to stock one caliber of ammo. ;)

I found this for $499: https://www.gunsmidwest.com/798681306411
I have never purchased from them before, but have always seen good prices on CPOs for .40 or 357 SIg. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
There are those, myself included, who believe the short extractor is better. SIG changed to the long one for cost saving - the long one is better suited to MIM production. And while the long version has generally been reliable, there have been far more failures that with the short version - just going from the reports of failures on forums like this . . . I don't know of any proper statistical study or analysis.

·
Premium Member
18,513 Posts
I believe most of the issues (not all) with the long extractor are related to the fitment of the pivot pin to the extractor. If this fitment is tight, it tends to hamper the function of the extractor. A drop of lube to this pivot point helps minimize this issue as does break in by continued use of the weapon. I own SIG's with a variety of their available extractors and have noticed nothing that would cause me concern with any of them on a long term basis and wouldn't use this as the criteria to buy or not buy. Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
There are those, myself included, who believe the short extractor is better. SIG changed to the long one for cost saving - the long one is better suited to MIM production. And while the long version has generally been reliable, there have been far more failures that with the short version - just going from the reports of failures on forums like this . . . I don't know of any proper statistical study or analysis.
FWIW...All of my four P22xs all have the long extractor and run flawlessly, except for one. I had a 9mm P229 that would FTE about once in every 100 rounds, even with good 124gr ammo. Sent it back to SIG, they replaced the extractor and said that the failure ratio I has experiencing was within their acceptable failure range. :confused: I eventually traded the pistol.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nothing wrong with it being a 9mm. I used to be concerned about the ability to shoot multiple calibers, but I eventually settled on 9mm. I have a P229 Legion in 357 Sig, but mainly shoot it with a 9mm Barsto conversion barrel. This way I only have to stock one caliber of ammo. ;)

I found this for $499: https://www.gunsmidwest.com/798681306411
I have never purchased from them before, but have always seen good prices on CPOs for .40 or 357 SIg. Good luck in your search.
That's a killer price on a CPO!!

Peter

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
23 Posts
Be careful with the CPO P229's. I bout one a few months ago and got burned bad. Frame was wore out (no anodizing on any of the rails, just bare aluminum). Had to pay about $350 more for a new frame. Got the gun back and the mag catch wasn't installed right and mags would get stuck in it. Sent it back and they finally got it sorted out. If I could do it again I'd just buy a NIB gun instead.

I did swap a 357 barrel in and have my local smith swap night sights on it. Gun shoots pretty well so far. Too bad it had to go to the factory twice to get running right. I think I ended up spending close to $1000 on it when it was said and done with...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Be careful with the CPO P229's. I bout one a few months ago and got burned bad. Frame was wore out (no anodizing on any of the rails, just bare aluminum). Had to pay about $350 more for a new frame. Got the gun back and the mag catch wasn't installed right and mags would get stuck in it. Sent it back and they finally got it sorted out. If I could do it again I'd just buy a NIB gun instead.

I did swap a 357 barrel in and have my local smith swap night sights on it. Gun shoots pretty well so far. Too bad it had to go to the factory twice to get running right. I think I ended up spending close to $1000 on it when it was said and done with...
That was my concern with the CPO. I found one new old stock made in 2012-2013

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Yeah, but H&K, Walther, S&W all use long extractors too. S&W for a long while.

I prefer the short though. My big beef with the long extractor is this, why is it still short on the p220, p227, p220 10mm, p239, p225-a1, MK25..?

But long extractors have been around for over 5 years and seem to be gtg, at least with the p226. BTW, the p226 is my only long extractor Sig besides the p224, and I don't plan on any more.

·
🎖USA Veteran
56,557 Posts

was your purchase an actual cpo or one that was claimed to be a cpo with all the red trimmings because i don't see sig sending out a cpo in that condition??

·
Premium Member
18,513 Posts
was your purchase an actual cpo or one that was claimed to be a cpo with all the red trimmings because i don't see sig sending out a cpo in that condition??
To add to these excellent comments, a thorough inspection of any used gun is a wise action to take prior to starting a Form 4473. A deficiency such as completely worn rails is easy enough to spot and if the Form 4473 is not yet started, can be returned to the seller quite easily. Once the Form 4473 in started, the return process becomes quite a bit more complicated. Makes no difference whether the weapon is purchased face to face or shipped to your FFL from some online seller. If the weapon is not in the condition you expect it to be, don't accept it. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
23 Posts

It was a legit CPO pistol. Came with the red tape and everything. Sig confirmed that it was still under warranty.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.