SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Looking for a conversion barrel for a P220

9K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Jack226 
#1 ·
I have a P220 and it is a great gun. The .45 acp is nice, but I'm wanting a little more.
I have been looking at some .45 super , .460 Rowland , and 400 Corbon swaps.
Some of the barrels aren't available anymore.
Some are very expensive and it would be the same price to buy another gun.
Any suggestions on what others here have done?
My frame and slide isn't one of the durable ones for a 10mm conversion.
Thanks for the info.

#3 ·
Jack226, I'm afraid if you don't think your current 220 can handle the 10mm, what makes you think it can handle the .45 Super, or .460 Rowland? The .400 Corbon IIRC shouldn't be to big of a problem, pressure wise. If it's an older "folded carbon steel slide", I'd be afraid of using +P .45 ACP in it. The comment that Sig states it will handle all SAAMI ammunition, may be true, but all I ask is was +P even marketed while the older slides were the standard production, plus they used the lighter recoil spring, same as the P226 9mm. It's not that it will "fall apart at the seams", but could hasten it's retirement, due to stress cracking where the breach block contacts the slide.
A Caliber X-Change slide assembly would at least give you a heavier duty forged stainless slide, and comes with the heavier recoil spring.

#4 ·
SIG states to use SAAMI ammo in the older carbon slide pistols but the caveat that by recommended that you do not shoot +P loads in a folded carbon slide model.

Reactions: Willard
#7 ·
I like my G20 Gen 4 with 15+1 of 10mm artillery shells and I got it for a great price. :D

But my P220 10mm is really pretty. ;)

#6 ·
I used to do 400 corbon with a Bar-sto barrel. Last I knew Fire Dragon still makes the 400.
Put a want to buy on Armslist and here.
There are lots of little used barrels out there.

I found mine from a guy selling with a pistol.
I offered for just the barrel, and he took it.

Robert Burke shot my 400 several times.
He told me to use a 22 lb recoil, and replace it every 500 to 700 rounds.
That would protect the gun. Did real nice on shooting and cycling as well.

#12 ·
If you want a slow burn powder maybe 800x.
If you want a really fun time Power pistol.

I never did either in 400, but I have done both a lot in 45, and Power Pistol is my favorite by far.

I will not attest to any of this, but this might help get in the ballpark.

400 Corbon Load Data - Handloads.Com

#11 ·
The main advantage of 400 CorBon was that it is easily formed from 45 ACP brass so no need to get any special brass, just run the 45 ACP brass into the sizing die and load it up.

Where did you get the barrel from?

Also, if it's power you want, skip the 10mm and go straight to 44 Magnum. I have a Glock 20 and a Smith 29 and there is no contest unless you want an ultralilght woods gun or see yourself needing 16 rounds for some reason.

Most of all, have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.