SIG Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening yall,

I recently picked up a Magpul PRS to replace the ACS on my Sig716 Patrol (OD Green).

I have been scouring the web looking for a site that has the parts I need:

Buffer (Found one at Slash's Heavy Buffers)
Spring (Again found one at Slash's)
MilSpec RIFLE-length AR10 Tube - This has been the tough one

Do you guys know of anyone that's selling an AR10 milspec rifle-length buffer tube? Most places seem to be sold out.

Additionally - has anyone put the PRS on a Patrol, and if so, will I be ok with the charging handle even if I have the cheek piece raised high?

Also, I am likely planning on using around 160/165 grain loads for hunting; should I see any problems with Slash's buffer, or should I go with a lighter-weight model?

Thanks in advance,

Willis

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I got my heavy (10 oz) buffer in along with the rifle tube and PRS installed, and first day on the range (shooting Hornady SST 150 gr.), and the gun had a couple issues:

Lightstrike (barely a ding on primer) on first round out of a clip. After a closer look, bolt was not seating (about 1/4" short) after charging.
Failure to feeds on about every 3rd round out of a clip. Couple cartridges were crimped and unusable.
Lighstrikes here and there.
At the range, we pulled the bolt, made sure all was ok, and even added some lube. Still the same. I barely got through 20 rounds before I put it back into the case.

Took it to a local gunsmith, shot a couple rounds, had the same problems, and spoke with the buffer maker (heavybuffers.com). Heavybuffers said the buffer should be broken in and shot a lot more, with a lot of different ammo. Personally, I disagreed in that it would be a solution, as it's a solid stainless buffer, and if the existing spring can't push all that heavy buffer weight NOW, that it shouldn't improve because the spring is only going to lose strength over time. Plus, good luck finding a mix of .308 ammo in this day & age. We then called a local AR manufacturer, and our final consensus/decision was that the 10 oz buffer was just too heavy. At the gunsmith, just for a round or two, we put the 5.2 oz CARBINE buffer in and the gun fired without issue. Decided to put a standard AR10 Rifle Buffer (5.4 oz) back in. It's on order, so I should have an update within a week or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.