SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a thread somewhere about a member who has a single P229 in all four calibers by way of multiple slides and x-change kits. I cant find it through search. Does someone have it handy to link?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I had a Sig P229-22 and a Slide kit in 9mm & 40s&w. It was sitting in the safe collecting webs. I sold the gun and the 9mm slide kit. I sill have the 40 slide kit to use with my Sig 9mm Elite.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, im really liking the idea of all the calibers in one firearm. i love guns but im not really a collector. maybe just cuz im newlywed and broke. but to me a multicaliber handgun seems so effecient and practical. based on that sticky in the gunsmith forum about which barrels fit where, you could fit 40, 357, and 9 in one 40 slide. but i think it might be better to have a seperate slide for 9 so that you dont need to change recoil springs. so a 40/357 slide that just changes barrels, a 9 slide, and a 22lr slide.

though, to change barrels you have to remove spr8ng and guide rod anyways... so perhaps just a 40 cal slide with all three barrels. i think that would be tge cheapest and the least parts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have a P229 that came in .40S&W. Found a 9mm x-change kit for less than a conversion barrel but had to send it in to SIG to have it fitted. While it went to the shop on SIGs dime I had them add the SRT kit and a .357SIG barrel. Even though the x-change kit was bought from a private party, being that it was NIB because it wouldn't fit on the previous owners gun either, SIG took care of it under warranty. If I would do it again I would get a BarSto conversion barrel to prevent elevated wear on the frame rails from two different slides.
Three or even 4 different calibers in one gun is really great. You can go plinking with inexpensive 9mm, practice with .40S&W and finish off with a box of .357SIG. My .40S&W barrel though is retired because .357 is way too much fun.

My wife got a P239 .40 and we go her a .357 barrel recently too - she loves it.

Reactions: bearone2

·
🎖USA Veteran
56,632 Posts
40/357sig share same slide...only barrel needed, 40 locking insert

barsto 9mm conversion bbl or 9mm complete slide & 228/229-9 locking insert.

22....an exchange kit.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not the guy with the thread, but very happy with my set-up. Started with a 229-R police trade in 40 S&W, added threaded 9 and 357 barrels from the folks at EFK-Firedragon and finished up with the 22 conversion kit. Mine is a DAK and I've spread the Sig-ness to my daughter, two grandsons and a couple shooting buddies. Wish the 22 kit addressed the "last round slide-lock" but otherwise my dark past as a Smi**aholic is fading away. The caliber progression is a fantastic training tool for newer shooters and reworking away bad habits for us higher mileage gunners. ��

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have a SAS that I have run three calibers through it. I have a EFK conversion barrel for 9mm. I used the same recoil spring just change the mags.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
4cal.229

I have a 229 elite that came in .40, bought a .357 sig barrel, found a second hand new .22 conversion and finally a new 9mm conversion at an unbelievable price. All worked perfectly with no fitting...Best pistol I own.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all of the input. from everything ive heard here i like best the idea of just two slides. 40/357 slide with the three barrels: 40, 357, and 9mm. and then the 22lr slide. maybe ill be able to trade my p229-1 9mm slide for a compatible 40/357 slide here in the forums

·
Registered
78 Posts
LittleTex Similar but reversed dilemma here,
I bought a Leo trade in 40/357 229 and had plans on going a similar route but ended up with a complete second 229. (A 2-tone 9mm) I usually don't shoot .22 lr in a pistol so a 22 conversion was never in my plan.
Now I have a second frame that I'm thinking about selling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.