SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sig Ultra in 45 and love the gun as well as a RIA Tac 2 in 10mm. The Rock Island is a $600 gun and I'm not worried about wearing it out but after reading about the Delta Elites am wondering about the strength of a P220 in 10mm vs a 1911 Platform.

I've heard of 1911's running 50k plus rounds in 45 acp but what about 10mm?? The reason I'm not worried about the RIA is that it comes with a lifetime warranty but also because its a 600 dollar gun. I'm thinking of picking up a new P220 but it is a $1500 gun... Is the Sig P220 5" 10mm stronger than its 1911 equivalent?

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
I'm curious about your statement regarding the Delta Elites. What are you reading about them?

I have three 1911's in 10mm, including the Delta Elite, and am not concerned about any of them. My Delta Elite was produced with the modified frame so chances of the frame cracking are greatly reduced.

I also own a P220 in 10mm. In terms of sheer mass, it is much heavier than any of my 1911's. Whether this mass differential equates to greater strength in the P220, I have no clue.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
When the 10mm first came out it did crack the frames on some guns, but I believe that has been addressed. Any gun can fail, especially under extreme stress, but these companies that make high quality firearms have learned lessons from those failures and build guns that can withstand the higher pressures of today's ammo. That said, after a while, even the best and strongest platforms can fail after prolonged use, so bear that in mind. Chances are that you won't be able to damage these guns, though. You'd have to shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds a lot, like what is seen in military use, for extended periods of time. These guns will generally outlast one single shooter.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,632 Posts
I have a Sig Ultra in 45 and love the gun as well as a RIA Tac 2 in 10mm. The Rock Island is a $600 gun and I'm not worried about wearing it out but after reading about the Delta Elites am wondering about the strength of a P220 in 10mm vs a 1911 Platform.

I've heard of 1911's running 50k plus rounds in 45 acp but what about 10mm?? The reason I'm not worried about the RIA is that it comes with a lifetime warranty but also because its a 600 dollar gun. I'm thinking of picking up a new P220 but it is a $1500 gun... Is the Sig P220 5" 10mm stronger than its 1911 equivalent?
I think the other two gentlemen have answered your question, but I wanted to add this... the Delta Elite was the first "production" 10mm IIRC, as the "Bren 10" was basically "Custom", and as such had to be "debugged"! Remember most all of this happened before +P ammunition came onto the scene. The 10mm wasn't "downloaded" until the FBI went with the S&W 1076, IIRC. See the following...
Smith & Wesson Model 1076

As far as longevity... as long as you replace the recoil springs as recommended, it should last longer than the nerves in your hand...

Reactions: TimKempAK

·
Registered
22,203 Posts
Unless you are going to be shooting far outside the norm of anyone doing normal range shooting, hunting, or most classes of competition, the SIG 10mm guns will outlive you.

ESPECIALLY the P220 10MM!

Reactions: TimKempAK

·
Registered
22,203 Posts
My P220 DA/SA Reverse Two-Tone 10mm.

My 10mm TACOPS on top.

If you would buy a RIA 10mm, trust me, these are better made - by far.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
My P220 DA/SA Reverse Two-Tone 10mm.

My 10mm TACOPS on top.

If you would buy a RIA 10mm, trust me, these are better made - by far.
That P220 reverse two tone is magnificent looking.

·
Registered
22,203 Posts
Thank you, Sir.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
GBIA ..!!!! There ya go again showing that Tacops 10mm ... arrrghghghgh stop pls :) errr... nevermind, I can take it.

....... some day ...... I'll get one too !!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts