SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to carrying and to be honest a bit concerned on carrying the P938 locked and cocked. Perhaps I will get more comfortable in the future. Before purchasing the pistol I did not think to try and see if I could carry without one chambered and cocked. However, I am not sure how to carry this pistol without the gun cocked and a round in the tube. If I have the slide forward and the hammer down I don't seem to be able to insert the magazine all the way. Is there something wrong with the pistol, is it not possible to carry this way, or am I just incompetent!! Any advise will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Cocked and locked is the only way I would carry my P938. I pocket carry in a pocket holster. The level of force required to take the firearm off safe is plenty to insure it won't just fall off or even get knocked off.

The only other way it could be safely carried is with an empty chamber. Then you are into the gyrations of operating the slide when confronted with a threat and your fine motor skills are at their worst.

I suggest you hit the range and practice, practice until you get the confidence to carry in the manner the firearm was designed to be carried.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
You should be able to insert a loaded mag with the slide forward, it might take some firm pressure to get it to latch.

You can carry with a full mag inserted, chamber empty, hammer cocked or uncocked, safety on or off. Most will recommend carrying with a full mag, a round chambered, hammer cocked and the safety engaged.

But if you aren't comfortable with that yet I would recommend carrying with the full mag inserted, chamber empty, hammer cocked and safety on. This would require that you rack the slide to chamber a round and then release the safety to fire the pistol.

In time you will develop trust in the design of the pistol and move to a true Condition 1.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Welcome!
If you are going to carry with a round in the chamber, which is advisable, your 938 is safer with the hammer back and the safety on, than with the hammer down. The beavertail protects the hammer; if the hammer is down and you drop the gun or impact it, there's a chance that the hammer can drive the firing pin.
As suggested, spend considerable time at the range. Get used to the gun, and comfortable with it.
For what it's worth, I am most comfortable carrying a SAO, in the cocked and locked configuration. It is ready to fire with the flick of the safety, I've trained with it, and I trust it.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
I second the recommendation of ThnkFrst. If you are not comfortable, carry your P938 around your house in the holster you intend to carry it in, with the chamber empty, the hammer cocked and the thumb safety engaged. It shouldn't take you too long to discover that the weapon will not fire on it's own in a proper holster with the safety engaged. Once you establish that comfort level, start carrying as it was designed, with a round in the chamber, the hammer cocked and the thumb safety engaged. I would suggest you limit your carrying the empty weapon to inside your home, carrying an empty weapon in the public is just plain dangerous.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
As far as manually inserting a round in chamber - snapping the slide closed - and inserting a mag. That should work . . .
No, this gun is not designed to load in this manner. The claw on the extractor, which is already more fragile than those found on most weapons, will be prone to chip off, causing extraction issues down the road, and ultimately, catastrophic failure of the weapon in a desperate time of need.

Semi auto handguns are all designed to have a round loaded through the magazine for this very reason.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I don't own a 938, but I have carried 1911s and my USPC for years cocked and locked. Muscle memory is important so it is something you really need to practice sweeping the safety. I carry appendix 60% of the time and haven't shot the boys off yet.

When I shoot my 320, I sweep the grip out of habit. I wish I had one with the thumb safety.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
If you are not comfortable with the 1911 style cocked and locked, then do not carry that platform. I was not and did not carry it for many years. I started out as many have suggested here carrying around the house, then transitioned to "back up carry" with it cocked and locked but unloaded. After a short period of time I became quite comfortable with the SAO and moved on to carrying my p238 pretty much all day every day (cocked and locked) without incident. few things about daily carry can we all agree are absolutes, but after 100+ years of millions of people carrying that platform, I am confident declaring it "safe".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like I am not using enough pressure to seat the magazine with the slide forward. I am sure I will get more comfortable with the pistol as time moves on. I go to the range 3-4 times a month so I will get plenty of practice time in with this

·
Registered
9 Posts
To the OP:
I'm like you, I'm not comfortable carrying chambered & cocked gun either. I'm sure it's ignorance, paranoia or lack of training. I'm sure I'm wrong too, but I don't care. It doesn't matter, I make mistakes every day. They're called accidents for a reason & all people have them. I loose my temper some times & later I regret it. We all do, nothing is perfect.
My solution is to practice martial arts or some kind of hand to hand combat before resorting to a pistol. This will at least buy yourself some time to either run or arm your weapon. Better yet, don't allow yourself or family to be put in a dangerous place. Ergo, I don't drive between 0100 - 0300 because I know the drunks are leaving the bars. Anyway, I'm sure this will be a very unpopular post & that's fine. I know my limits, do you?

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
A couple of additional points:

One can fairly easily switch to a single sided safety. To do this, order the safety lever and hammer pivot pin for a P238. Some P238 owners may want to switch to ambi-safety, so you might post your parts in the classified. Minimal disassembly is required to swap out, but do look up the posts on how.

Ambi is better if you are a lefty or concerned about safety operation with an injured strong hand. Single side is better, IMO, if you crawl around under machinery and there's risk of bumping the safety to off. A holster will often protect the single side safety lever from being disengaged.

A previous post in this thread warns about carrying hammer down due to drop safety concerns. While it may not be recommended to carry hammer down, it's not due to drop safety. The P938 has an inertia or "drop safety" built into the gun. The firing pin is blocked unless the trigger is pulled and held back. In battery, the ejector is pushing upwards on the firing pin block safety. When the trigger is pulled, the ejector swings forward and releases a little spring loaded plunger on the underside of the slide near the rear. As this plunger move down, it unblocks the firing pin.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
A previous post in this thread warns about carrying hammer down due to drop safety concerns. While it may not be recommended to carry hammer down, it's not due to drop safety. The P938 has an inertia or "drop safety" built into the gun. The firing pin is blocked unless the trigger is pulled and held back. In battery, the ejector is pushing upwards on the firing pin block safety. When the trigger is pulled, the ejector swings forward and releases a little spring loaded plunger on the underside of the slide near the rear. As this plunger move down, it unblocks the firing pin.
I have to agree with bumper that carrying with a round chambered and the hammer down isn't unsafe. What is unsafe is lowering the hammer with a live round in the chamber which requires disengaging the thumb safety, pulling the trigger to release the hammer which also disengages the firing pin block and then manually lowering the hammer. If you slip and the hammer falls, the gun will likely discharge and you will suffer the consequences.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like I am not using enough pressure to seat the magazine with the slide forward. I am sure I will get more comfortable with the pistol as time moves on. I go to the range 3-4 times a month so I will get plenty of practice time in with this
Are you using a 6 or a 7 round mag, and how many rounds are you loading? Try one round less until the spring loosens up. When I carried a 938, always with a 7 round mag, I inserted the mag, then pulled the slide back and forward to load a round. Then I removed the mag and backfilled the missing round. Always cocked and locked. Get some snap caps to practice with.

Confidence will come with practice...and knowledge. This is the best video I’ve found on how the 938 Safety works, it will give you some peace of mind:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I'll ad one more suggestion.
Until you become more comfortable handling the firearm, I would suggest not trying to put one in the chamber and then inserting a full mag.
I would suggest pulling the slide back and hold it there by activating the slide lock. If you insert the mag with the slide back, the mag should insert and catch easily. Then, letting the slide slam forward will insert the first round safely without chance of damaging the extractor. Until you become more familiar, 6rnds will do. Don't try for the 6+1.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Purely my opinion, and we all know what those are. Load the magazine with snap caps. With your trigger finger pointed in line with barrel and against the slide/frame above the trigger guard, lock the slide to the rear, insert the magazine, release the slide without slowing its motion forward to chamber a snap cap and lock into battery. Place the safety "ON". If you want to top off the magazine, remove it, add a round, and replace it forcefully for it to seat. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard unless you intend to shoot something or someone. Practice with snap caps until you are totally confident in the process and it's mostly muscle memory before trying to use live ammunition. Probably not how a firearms instructor would teach it, but it should help keep you from injuring yourself or someone else.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
One of the advantages of the P238 and 938 models is that the pistol can be cleared and made safe with the hammer cocked and the safety on...and can also be put into Condition 1 with the hammer cocked and the safety on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One of the advantages of the P238 and 938 models is that the pistol can be cleared and made safe with the hammer cocked and the safety on...
Not true anymore. My new (01/2018 build date) P938 slide will not move while safety is on.

EDIT : I was wrong. Hammer back & it'll slide. I get it after a long range day.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts