SIG Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking for a friend :D

What round count should a responsible firearms owner typically have on hand for each of their distinct weapon types during relatively "calm" (meaning that we're not in the throws of a global pandemic, civil unrest, or a hotly contested Presidential and/or Congressional election year) Geo-political climate?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I will be the first to venture a guess on the ammo amount. I would suggest 1000 rounds of loaded ammo or enough components to load a 1000 rounds for each firearm you have. !2 ga shotgun ammo I would suggest at least 500 rounds. JMHO!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Depends.... on how much you Shiite/ train, whether you load or just buy commercial ammo.

Pre covid with ranges open I was trading 2-3 days a week & 1,000-1,500 rounds a week. I also load my own so I order components in bulk 2-3 times a year & keep backup of loaded Ammo in case one week I can’t get into the shop to load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I strive to keep at least 1000 rounds per weapon. I have dipped below that in a couple of calibers but am pretty close. At current prices of ammo and lack of availability range time has been somewhat curtailed.

Reactions: trbo320

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good points --

- I train every 7 - 10 days averaging 100-150 rounds each session
- I typically buy commercial unless my life-long friend who's a loader has stock he's willing/able to sell to me near or at cost

·
Banned
1,792 Posts
good points --

- I typically buy commercial unless my life-long friend who's a loader has stock he's willing/able to sell to me near or at cost
Components supplied by you assembled by your life long friend is compliant.
As posted is NOT compliant w/o paperwork & fees.

I stock/cast & reload enough.
The situation was better before the boating accident(s) & all the other natural disasters.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
If you wait until a crisis you're too late. You should always have in reserve enough to get you through a crisis. How much the reserve amount is depends on your local conditions and how long a crisis might last.

·
Registered
.357 sig
465 Posts
Asking for a friend

What round count should a responsible firearms owner typically have on hand for each of their distinct weapon types during relatively "calm" (meaning that we're not in the throws of a global pandemic, civil unrest, or a hotly contested Presidential and/or Congressional election year) Geo-political climate?
I’ve found the answer to this question makes some people uncomfortable!
I saw that as a meme here but find it appropriate. My brother in law suggests 10,000 per caliber but imo it depends on what you prefer. I own a .35 lever action which I bought from my brother because he needed cash, I have 0 ammo for it and no desire to shoot that gun. It will be gifted back to his son as long as he doesn’t f up. My .357 sig and .556 supply is probably 7500 and I think it’s about right.

·
Registered
17,722 Posts
If you wait until a crisis you're too late. You should always have in reserve enough to get you through a crisis. How much the reserve amount is depends on your local conditions and how long a crisis might last.
This is my philosophy. We have no way of knowing how long the shortages will last, so plan accordingly. If you want to shoot every week regardless of shortages, you'll stockpile a bunch. If not, you won't.

·
Banned
89 Posts
where I live in the country it is a long trip to a gun shop. Sometimes I mail order. I keep enough for each gun caliber. around 1K plus for some like ones I shoot the most like 9mm, 556 and 30-30 and 22. Keep many shotshells mainly to scare away varmits or other animals. dove hunt with birdshot

·
Banned
597 Posts
Asking for a friend :D

It would depend on how many people you plan to kill and the number of shots it takes on average per kill for you. Might also consider how many long protracted gun fights you think you will be in. What other reason is there to "have on hand" large amounts of ammo other than hole punching in a paper target when ammo is expensive?

·
Registered
171 Posts
if you have less than 1000 rds for each firearm, I would start cutting back on range time, you need to ration your ammo until the prices go down and the supply gets back to normal with stores fully stocked again.

I have plenty of ammo, but Im limiting my range trips to once every 3 - 6 months just to be safe

·
Banned
597 Posts
Just look at all of the examples of people who lost a fight because they had too much ammo on hand. ( I can't think of any)
Compare that to the number of people who died because they ran out.

You can never have too much good luck or ammo. :)
So true. I died once because I ran out of ammo after having the minimum 1000 round count. Never again.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
This has been on my mind as a new owner. I currently have about 650 9mm, but the prices are really galling. And as a new owner, I was planning on at least weekly range time for the next 3 months. Being better prepared/trained trumps price for me currently.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts