SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my Marlin 30-30's at 100 yds. This rifle has a Redfield Wide View 4X scope. This is a handload with Sierra 170gr. FN, I also use the Hornady 170gr.. It just felt like a good day to take it out and have some fun.:D

Edsel, I did post in the range report. ;)

Attachments

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
I bought a Winchester M94 last year and love it. Can't believe I waited so long to buy one.

Reactions: Damon

·
Registered
22,567 Posts
Nice shooting . . . I've got 2 new Henry's that I'm anxious to try out. That's what watching "The Rifleman" every Saturday gets me, lol.

·
Registered
552 Posts
One of my Marlin 30-30's at 100 yds. This rifle has a Redfield Wide View 4X scope. This is a handload with Sierra 170gr. FN, I also use the Hornady 170gr.. It just felt like a good day to take it out and have some fun.:D

Edsel, I did post in the range report. ;)
That's not possible, because Leveraction rifles are not accurate according to Tier-1 Special Operators on the internet. :rolleyes:

Good shooting ,and with a 4x too. :thumbsu: Are you roll crimping those 170gr?

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Nice shooting!!

Yeah, my old Marlin 39A 22 has been bugging me 'bout a big sister. That may be the reason, if I can go to Denver's gun show next month. We'll see what's available - A clean pre-'09 Remlin gun in 30/30 or 45-70 could be tempting...

Cheers

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
My first deer hunting rifle, in 1971, was the Marlin 336C, with the gold plated trigger. .30-30 Win.

Filled my freezer many times with that rifle. Sorry I traded it in 1991 after 20 years of memories. Miss it.

But I still use the Remington 700 BDL, .30-06. That was my new rifle in 1991.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Love my Henry Lever .30-.30 with an Octagon barrel.
Purchased a large loop lever for it as the standard one was small for my hand.
It is color case hardened.
I did not like the semi-buckhorn rear sight, so I got a square notch sight for it.
My LGS ordered it for me when they first came out and I got a special serial number on it. It will be a family heirloom to be handed down, for a long time to come.
Can't say enough about the accuracy. It is great!
Levers are fun to shoot!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's not possible, because Leveraction rifles are not accurate according to Tier-1 Special Operators on the internet. :rolleyes:

Good shooting ,and with a 4x too. :thumbsu: Are you roll crimping those 170gr?
What???? I wasn't told that!! Wow....I've been doing it wrong all this time...:(

I do use a roll crimp. When using slow powder with a compressed load I run the case on the long side and use a Lee factory crimp die.

·
Registered
552 Posts
What???? I wasn't told that!! Wow....I've been doing it wrong all this time...:(

I do use a roll crimp. When using slow powder with a compressed load I run the case on the long side and use a Lee factory crimp die.
Yeah, that's what they say so get with the program.

I use a heavy crimp with slow powders, but I noticed that sometimes it can impact accuracy on well used brass. Using the FCD does help though. One of the best tools LEE ever made.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that's what they say so get with the program.

I use a heavy crimp with slow powders, but I noticed that sometimes it can impact accuracy on well used brass. Using the FCD does help though. One of the best tools LEE ever made.
Do you have a link about these operators and their comments about lever actions? I might have to see if I'm doing wrong on my 444 also.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lever actions are a lot of fun to shoot. I have an older, really beat up winchester 94. For around here is was a great deer rifle. Light and pointed naturally for me. I used the sights, no scope. Nowadays I still shoot it quite a bit, mostly reduced cast loads using trail boss powder.

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
I have a model 94 30-30 I bought when I was in high school back in the 70's. Has basically been my deer rifle ever since. I normally hunt in East Texas where most shots are short range but have also used the gun in West Texas and made several kills in the 125 to 150 yard range with no problem. Mine ejects on the top so I had to side mount my scope. Scope is an off-brand (Tasco) that a family friend gave me. He bought it in the late 60's. Scope is 3-9x40. I sighted the scope in at 100 yards back in the 80's and I have never had to adjust. More than 30 years it has remained sighted in at 100 yards.

Reactions: sigsrok

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
Nice shooting!!

Yeah, my old Marlin 39A 22---
Look anything like this old junker?

1971 Marlin Model 39 D. Beat to death by my son when he was young.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Look anything like this old junker?

1971 Marlin Model 39 D. Beat to death by my son when he was young.
Yeah, it does, and your rifle looks like she's held up pretty good too!!

Mine's a '71 39A. IMO, John Marlin had a great lever action rifle idea. JM's side ejector and simple brake-down just make her better!!

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
Yeah, it does, and your rifle looks like she's held up pretty good too!!

My's a '71 39A. IMO, John Marlin had a great lever action rifle idea. JM's side ejector and simple brake-down just make her better!!
Most definitely. That's the rifle I taught my boy to shoot rifles with. He wasn't very kind to it - my fault - but he really loved shooting and cleaning it. Lot of rounds through the old girl and still begging for more.

I don't take it out very much at all these days because I mostly shoot 7.62 at 800 or 1K now that I was able to build a range to get there. Need to take her out next trip down to shoot.

Thanks for the reminder gang...:thumbsu:

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
As this OP said, we gotta luv these levers!

Honestly though, their skinny iron sights are for much younger eyes than mine. Old timers like myself need a little help seeing the target. So on 22 days, I'll head out with the kids carrying Ruger 10/22 set up the way I like her.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
here's my 39A, not sure how old it is, but I stocked and checkered it. Started with a couple of mis-matched blanks as you can see the butt stock is much darker than forearm. I built the stock over 30 years ago and had an old Lyman Alaskan scope and some Stith mounts to complete it. a good blue job would dress it up, but it's not gonna happen. a wonderful old rifle.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts