SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is my camping/UTV/hiking carbine. Henry Black in .45 Colt with Vortex Venom and Surefire light. It was set-up for pure function as a working gun for the woods of Idaho.

Bicycle part Air gun Trigger Metal Pipe

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tire Wood Tread

This is my only other lever gun; an Uberti Silver Boy .22 LR that I bought a few years ago on clearance from Bud's Guns. $319. Great little .22. I should have bought three of them for my three grandsons.

Musical instrument Wood Shotgun Air gun Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
This is my camping/UTV/hiking carbine. Henry Black in .45 Colt with Vortex Venom and Surefire light. It was set-up for pure function as a working gun for the woods of Idaho.

View attachment 433491

View attachment 433492

This is my only other lever gun; an Uberti Silver Boy .22 LR that I bought a few years ago on clearance from Bud's Guns. $319. Great little .22. I should have bought three of them for my three grandsons.

View attachment 433493
If you would have been in the store, you would have probably made that multiple purchase. Used to stop in on game days. Never left empty handed. 😉

·
Registered
208 Posts
I bought a Marlin 336C from K-Mart back in the 1970's for $80. Wish I still had it! :confused:

Here is a link to one selling right now for $770. Sigh .........

MARLIN 336C For Sale » Marlin Firearms Store (marlinfirearmstore.com)
Is that site legit? Is that actually run by Marlin and is the inventory live? Prices may stink compared to the 1970's but for the 2020's, those prices are actually fairly decent.

I have been wanting to add a lever gun and they have the one I've been looking for listed for a better price then I've seen anyplace else.

·
Registered
22,438 Posts
Reactions: KenBry

·
Registered
406 Posts
Long time fan of lever guns. Had a 1949 Win Mod 94 30/30 until I recently gave it to a nephew. Still have my Win Mod 94AE .357 magnum. Owned a lever .22 for a short while - Marlin Model 39.
Air gun Trigger Musical instrument accessory Gun barrel Shotgun
Publication Trigger Eyewear Electric blue Font

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
My shooting buddy has been after me for a long time to down with him to his place in Oklahoma for a hog hunt. I thought it would be a perfect excuse to replace my 45-70. I know I could just use an AR but I like seeing them leave the ground.
I know some will ask "why" so this is why... FUN!!! lol
Ammunition Office supplies Bullet Font Gun accessory

So on that note I was eyeing this modernized version except all in black...
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Then look what I happened!
I ran across this and was smitten immediately.
I fear this fool is soon to be parted from some more of his money as you guys like to say.
Dang the bad luck!
Air gun Smile Trigger Hat Shotgun

Thats my been latest lever gun adventure altho short lived lol
Its an auto adventure now but thats for another thread.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Very nice. As a fellow Idahoan, I approve, and having been thinking about something like that for a while now.
Yeah, the idea of a camp carbine seemed like a good idea, especially with all of the wolves and Californians in the woods these days.

My "bear" gun for grizzly country is a Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt, so a short lever-action in that caliber seemed logical. I first bought a Marlin 1894 and customized it. However, it had feeding issues that I couldn't resolve. Plus, it was about 11 lbs with the custom finish, sights, Surefire light, sling, and stock pouch. But it was cool...

Flower Air gun Knife Shotgun Plant

It was very comforting to me when I went camping with my Great Dane/Lab mix and a pack of wolves came in while we were sitting around the campfire. He was smart enough to stick close to the fire and the rifle...

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Road surface Collar

But, since I couldn't get it to run reliably and it was a tank, I got the bright idea of building an AR in .450 Bushmaster. It ended up being slightly lighter, but very bulky to sling in the bush. Worked great, but just wasn't ideal...

Plant Plant community Wood Branch Trunk

So, when I saw the new Henry Black in .45 Colt at the LGS, I had to have it. Price was $799, which I thought was a bit too much, but I had a military discount, so I brought it home for under $800. I went online and you can't find them for under $1000 from what I've seen.

But, the Henry is smoother than the Marlin, just as accurate, 100% reliable, lighter, and the quality is much better. Very happy with it and it goes in the Kolpin gun case on my UTV when I head into the woods.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
Yeah, the idea of a camp carbine seemed like a good idea, especially with all of the wolves and Californians in the woods these days.

My "bear" gun for grizzly country is a Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt, so a short lever-action in that caliber seemed logical. I first bought a Marlin 1894 and customized it. However, it had feeding issues that I couldn't resolve. Plus, it was about 11 lbs with the custom finish, sights, Surefire light, sling, and stock pouch. But it was cool...

View attachment 433803

It was very comforting to me when I went camping with my Great Dane/Lab mix and a pack of wolves came in while we were sitting around the campfire. He was smart enough to stick close to the fire and the rifle...

View attachment 433804

But, since I couldn't get it to run reliably and it was a tank, I got the bright idea of building an AR in .450 Bushmaster. It ended up being slightly lighter, but very bulky to sling in the bush. Worked great, but just wasn't ideal...

View attachment 433805

So, when I saw the new Henry Black in .45 Colt at the LGS, I had to have it. Price was $799, which I thought was a bit too much, but I had a military discount, so I brought it home for under $800. I went online and you can't find them for under $1000 from what I've seen.

But, the Henry is smoother than the Marlin, just as accurate, 100% reliable, lighter, and the quality is much better. Very happy with it and it goes in the Kolpin gun case on my UTV when I head into the woods.
Thanks for sharing the evolution. I'm pretty sure my next lever gun will either be a Henry X or All Weather in 45LC with a RDS and a light mount on it.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts