SIG Talk banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I attended a Law Enforcement seminar just prior to Illinois allowing concealed carry put on by the State Police that let retired LEOs know that having a CC and LEOSA (IROCC) would limit our freedoms some what as we would then fall under regular CC rules and laws despite having IROCC/LEOSA...

I have to do the IROCC every year but that's not too much of an inconvenience...

Stay Safe

Bill

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sorry if I offended. I'm going on the word of a Chicago LEO I am acquainted with. I'm told many cops in Cook County will arrest and detain even if you have a LEOSA ID, and some of the judges will accept the case for prosecution. If I am wrong, I apologize.
Complete BS if they are in fact doing that. Shame on them. What are they going to do when they get caught speeding in other jurisdictions?
“Here you go, Cook County officer. Here’s your FULLBOAT ticket. You have a nice day, now. Buh bye”

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Complete BS if they are in fact doing that. Shame on them. What are they going to do when they get caught speeding in other jurisdictions?
“Here you go, Cook County officer. Here’s your FULLBOAT ticket. You have a nice day, now. Buh bye”
Rumors always have gone around. They said for years that NYPD would not honor it...and that was total bull. Working right across the river from NYC I was in there frequently as were NYPD personnel. Never an incident unless someone did something stupid and them all bets were off.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I guess anything is possible but I (and no cop I ever worked with or knew) would ever in a million years write up a fellow LEO simply for carrying (no crime involved). I don’t care if he has LEOSA or CCW or not. Show me LE creds and have a nice day. It’s just inconceivable that any one would cite an LEO and that a DA would accept it for prosecution. Like Sasquatch, I’m going to need to see it to believe it. Having said this, I was in California on a vacation with my LE partner and our wives and a CHP (older guy) made routine traffic stop on us (rental car) and he he was astounded when I immediately disclosed we were carrying (out of state) duty weapons. He insisted we put them in the trunk and gave us a lecture. We told him what we thought of that and that this wasn’t a good look for CHP. 10 miles later as we arrived at our destination we rearmed so not a big deal but we were just amazed that it happened. Can’t imagine what we would have said if he had written us up.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I guess anything is possible but I (and no cop I ever worked with or knew) would ever in a million years write up a fellow LEO simply for carrying (no crime involved). I don’t care if he has LEOSA or CCW or not. Show me LE creds and have a nice day. It’s just inconceivable that any one would cite an LEO and that a DA would accept it for prosecution. Like Sasquatch, I’m going to need to see it to believe it. Having said this, I was in California on a vacation with my LE partner and our wives and a CHP (older guy) made routine traffic stop on us (rental car) and he he was astounded when I immediately disclosed we were carrying (out of state) duty weapons. He insisted we put them in the trunk and gave us a lecture. We told him what we thought of that and that this wasn’t a good look for CHP. 10 miles later as we arrived at our destination we rearmed so not a big deal but we were just amazed that it happened. Can’t imagine what we would have said if he had written us up.
I agree. We all have at least one in our departments that is kind of a tool. But, if we had a guy on our dept that wrote another officer, or did something stupid because another officer was carrying a gun, they would never hear the end of it from all the other guys. It would be bad for that officer.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
My LEOSA card from my agency does not specify the type of firearm, only that when carrying concealed firearms, the retired officer must be carrying this ID and and an up-to-date annual State firearms training and qualification certification. That one states that I have met the firearms qualification standard to carry a concealed handgun as set forth in HB 218 and was conducted by the XXX police dept...

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
My LEOSA card from my agency does not specify the type of firearm, only that when carrying concealed firearms, the retired officer must be carrying this ID and and an up-to-date annual State firearms training and qualification certification. That one states that I have met the firearms qualification standard to carry a concealed handgun as set forth in HB 218 and was conducted by the XXX police dept...
In my state it’s by general “type” of pistol. Semi auto or revolver.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if it is true, but I'm not sure how it would hold up to prosecution. It's a federal law...on what grounds would they be able to prosecute?
State or county law, not federal. It's becoming a trend-prosecute, convict, and incarcerate until appeals are denied and the conviction is appealed to federal courts. The feds pull that **** too-until a few years ago, a federal court covering Fla was using the "firearms enhancement" penalty, even though the guns were owned but possessed in another state. This directly contravenes a SCOTUS ruling. I personally know 5 inmates convicted under this procedure. They won their appeals AFTER several years of incarceration they should not have been subject too. BTW, defending against a federal prosecution of a felony costs a minimum of 250k. Most people pleads it out rather than face bankruptcy.

·
Registered
576 Posts
State or county law, not federal. It's becoming a trend-prosecute, convict, and incarcerate until appeals are denied and the conviction is appealed to federal courts. The feds pull that **** too-until a few years ago, a federal court covering Fla was using the "firearms enhancement" penalty, even though the guns were owned but possessed in another state. This directly contravenes a SCOTUS ruling. I personally know 5 inmates convicted under this procedure. They won their appeals AFTER several years of incarceration they should not have been subject too. BTW, defending against a federal prosecution of a felony costs a minimum of 250k. Most people pleads it out rather than face bankruptcy.
Of course, unless your a liberal . Then you can burn, loot, shoot, steal and kill without repurcussions. And have liberal politicians help to bail you out, if arrested.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you don't mind, who did you go to for the qualification?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Merrimack County Sheriff Department. I contacted 7 departments around me with no luck, including Manchester, Nashau, and Concord. I qual with them on the 19th of October. Maybe you can get in on the 29th???
My range couldn't/wouldn't qual me.

You are allowed 2 guns to qual with and if you have to carry those to stay legal under LEOSA carry. I did it cause of MA. libtards.
Sergeant Matthew D. Wilson
Merrimack County Sheriff's Office
333 Daniel Webster Highway
Boscawen, NH 03303
[email protected]
Ph: 603-796-6632
Cell: 603-234-1113
Fax: 603-796-6617

·
Registered
61 Posts
My brother resigned from the VA. he gets it done through a local FL. department. You NEED 11 years and your last department has to give you a Retired Officer ID to qualify under 218. My NH LEOSA creds state the make, model and serial number of the 2 weapons I qualified on and the ammo used.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I worked in MD and you were told in the academy early on that it is illegal to carry off duty in DC. But every DC officer I ran into who found out who I was and knew I didn't have a gun told me to always have my gun in DC. So probably wouldn't have been arrested but would have been sticky if something happened.
When I was active in NC, I asked a DC cop about this, He stopped me while I was on patrol and asked if he was ok to carry in NC. I looked at his creds and stated "your good to go". The I stated, -'turn about is fair play, what about in DC?"

He stated," In dc, as long as you have your creds and the gun is concealed AND you not acting a fool, you will be fine".

·
Registered
79 Posts
Merrimack County Sheriff Department. I contacted 7 departments around me with no luck, including Manchester, Nashau, and Concord. I qual with them on the 19th of October. Maybe you can get in on the 29th???

You are allowed 2 guns to qual with and if you have to carry those to stay legal under LEOSA carry. I did it cause of MA. libtards.
Boscawen, NH 03303
[email protected]
Thank you for the response. I think I have found someone and will keep this as a back up. When you say 2 guns, is it by type or individual models?
Never-ending, just saw following message.

Thanks again.
Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
“You are allowed 2 guns to qual with and if you have to carry those to stay legal under LEOSA carry. I did it cause of MA.”

The above statement is, “SO WRONG”! The agency, state, whoever, can’t tell you the guns you qual with are the ONLY ones you can carry. You may carry any TYPE firearm you qual’d with, be it semi auto or revolver. I don’t understand how hard these agencies have following the law. It makes me afraid….very afraid. It’s not rocket science.

·
Registered
392 Posts
LEO's not knowing the law is widespread, and not just in this narrow area. Red flagging, domestic violence, etc are all areas where training is sorely lacking. Even worse, large agencies know the law well and refuse to follow it. That is truly frightening.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has any current or former LEO's here gone through the LEOSA permit process?

This is something I've been wanting to do for awhile but every time I start looking into it I get sucked into an abyss of confusion and red tape. Especially around former LEO getting the qualification done. Which, from what I can gather needs to be done with someone who is currently certified to qualify law enforcement...like a local department. I spoke with my old department and they won't do it due to some perceived liability about how the law is written around a requirement that the qualification be done with the same firearm that the permit holder has to carry under LEOSA.

I'd love to go to a federal/nationwide concealed carry permit but this process seems very convoluted.

Curious if anyone here has had success doing it.

View attachment 420412
What your Department told you is one hundred percent bogus. It is a Federal Law. You should be able to shoot any course that as a active LEO shoots. Plus LEOSA say you must qualify with the same "TYPE" of firearm, not a specific caliber or brand of firearm. Every year, when I go to my former PD, with other retired LEOs, I see them qualifying with different calibers, brands and pistols. If you can't get your old department to qualify you, any certified instructor, that qualify LEOs, can help you. Yes, there are small fees, and paperwork, to do, but is very easy.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

Boscawen, NH 03303
[email protected]
Rare that departments will do it. Local ranges have people on staff or who run quyals.

Manchester Firing Line runs classes.

Class: NH Firearms Certification / LEOSA Class | Manchester Firing Line (gunsnh.com)

White ***** in Dover, NH has some great retired LE instructors on staff.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts