SIG Talk banner
81 - 100 of 119 Posts

馃帠USA Veteran
Very slack in KY, same as standards for a Concealed Cary Deadly Weapons. 7 yards, 20 rounds, 11 hits on a man-sized target, with any gun you choose. My wife and I go to re-quals next Friday. Unfortunately, our annual date is in February, the coldest month of the year. On the up side, we get an indoor range this time.
Man, you guys have it easy. We have to do the full qualification minus low light with a flashlight

Registered
Wow, that's a tough course. Doesn't really matter unless I leave the state, I stay current on the civilian license. One course, one time qualification, as long as you renew within timelines you're still valid. And you can renew on line, you just have to pick it up in person at the Sheriff's Office. In my county, that's a VERY fast trip, no line, five minute drive, within walking distance of several great lunch places. The even take your picture for free.

Registered
Very slack in KY, same as standards for a Concealed Cary Deadly Weapons. 7 yards, 20 rounds, 11 hits on a man-sized target, with any gun you choose. My wife and I go to re-quals next Friday. Unfortunately, our annual date is in February, the coldest month of the year. On the up side, we get an indoor range this time.
Thank You... that is what I was looking for...

Registered
In New Hampshire, the weapon you qual with is the only weapon you can carry (you can qual on 2 weapons, I asked the instructor about a 357Sig barrel on my 40SW, he stated, no! you want to shoot 3757Sig, you shoot that next time.) I had to drive almost 2 hours away to qual, local departments stated the will not qual retired officers due to liability.
If you don't mind, who did you go to for the qualification?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Registered
OK, so you are saying it's as vague as Semi-Auto or revolver. The guy I talked to says the law is written making it sound like it has to be THE gun you qualify with.
That depends on the state. Here in NH they do not have the "substantially similar" theory and every handgun I qualify is listed on the qual form that's issued to me. NJ was the same. Fortunatly having Sig Academy as the site to do my quals I can run through as many as I wish. A state issued carry permit allows any firearm to be carried so in the past I maintained both. It was so easy to obtain made no sense no to.

LEOSA is relatively simple. It does little more than eliminate the need for a state permit. It does NOT give you any more rights than those of any other with a state issued carry permit so magazine limits and restricted locations are still in force. The only thing it did give those in NJ was after a lengthily court battle the right to carry HP ammo was validated for those under the law. And even that, true to NJ is not a clear cut as it should be.

Registered
I continue to carry with LEOSA because it's recognized in all US jurisdictions (possibly excepting Cook County, Ill, whose officer's attitudes are "arrest anyway.") My local FOP arranges annual equals and, in KY, it's extremely simply-11 out of 20 rounds, man-sized target, 7 yards, any darn handgun you choose. To me, it's worth a 35 dollar hit a year, YMMV.

Registered
North Carolina state law requires the same qualification as current law enforcement.

"12 NCAC 09H .0102 MINIMUM TRAINING SPECIFICATIONS

(a) Each qualified retired law enforcement officer must qualify with each handgun he/she will carry in accordance with the standards outlined in 12 NCAC 09E .0105(1) and 12 NCAC 9E .0106 (a), (c), (e), (f) and (g), which shall be incorporated in classroom instruction and firearms qualification on the firing range utilizing the course of fire from the A Specialized Firearms Instructor Training Manual.

(b) In addition to the standards set out in Rules 9E .0105 and .0106, each qualified retired law enforcement officer shall also receive a minimum of two (2) hours of instruction on the North Carolina laws of self defense and the use of force by private citizens, detention of persons by private persons, and assistance to law enforcement officers by private persons.

(c) Qualified retired law enforcement officers shall qualify with each handgun that will be carried concealed at least once every 12 months. For the purpose of this rule, handgun shall include semi-automatic pistols or revolvers." (emphasis added).

Its interesting that NC Law/Administrative Rules only mention handguns. LEOSA allows carrying of concealed FIREARMS. It only excludes fully automatic weapons, silencers and destructive devices.

Registered
KY law requires the same qualification standards as civilian concealed carry. I see no need for a difference. Most LEOSA candidates are retired LEOS, although some only have 10 years or so.But NC does many things differently.

馃帠USAF Veteran Premium Member
P226 Legion LE, P229 Legion LE, P229, P220, P224, P320 X-Vtac, P320 X-Carry Pro, CZ TSO, CZ SP-01
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
North Carolina state law requires the same qualification as current law enforcement.

"12 NCAC 09H .0102 MINIMUM TRAINING SPECIFICATIONS

(a) Each qualified retired law enforcement officer must qualify with each handgun he/she will carry in accordance with the standards outlined in 12 NCAC 09E .0105(1) and 12 NCAC 9E .0106 (a), (c), (e), (f) and (g), which shall be incorporated in classroom instruction and firearms qualification on the firing range utilizing the course of fire from the A Specialized Firearms Instructor Training Manual.

(b) In addition to the standards set out in Rules 9E .0105 and .0106, each qualified retired law enforcement officer shall also receive a minimum of two (2) hours of instruction on the North Carolina laws of self defense and the use of force by private citizens, detention of persons by private persons, and assistance to law enforcement officers by private persons.

(c) Qualified retired law enforcement officers shall qualify with each handgun that will be carried concealed at least once every 12 months. For the purpose of this rule, handgun shall include semi-automatic pistols or revolvers." (emphasis added).

Its interesting that NC Law/Administrative Rules only mention handguns. LEOSA allows carrying of concealed FIREARMS. It only excludes fully automatic weapons, silencers and destructive devices.
This is why I opted against LEOSA. I'd have to qualify every year and with every gun I'd want to carry. Way easier to just get the CCW.

Registered
This is why I opted against LEOSA. I'd have to qualify every year and with every gun I'd want to carry. Way easier to just get the CCW.
I agree. It makes no sense. To carry under LEOSA I have to qualify with every gun, every year. To carry under NC CHP, I qualify ONCE in my life.

I still do it because I'm still a reserve law enforcement officer and do it when I do my state mandated qualification.

Registered
All well and good if you never leave your state. What NC has in place violates the LEOSA. You and others need to have the local FOP and FLEO A lobby and even take the state to court on this matter. The LEOSA is ambiguous, but in our favor. Look no further than NJ, where retirees won big against the NJ AG. Jersey tried separating Jersey retirees rights under LEOSA from those of out of sTate, they failed big time.

NC is no different. Stay together and stay strong.

Registered
I continue to carry with LEOSA because it's recognized in all US jurisdictions (possibly excepting Cook County, Ill, whose officer's attitudes are "arrest anyway.") My local FOP arranges annual equals and, in KY, it's extremely simply-11 out of 20 rounds, man-sized target, 7 yards, any darn handgun you choose. To me, it's worth a 35 dollar hit a year, YMMV.
have you seen or read of many "arrest anyway" cases in Cook County, Illinois???...as a retired LEO who lives and served in Cook County, Illinois I agree that we have to put up with many ill conceived notions but I've not heard or read of LEOSA people being harassed or arrested anyway here...if so I'd like to know so that I can bring that up at IPA, FOP, or Benevolent meetings...

Bill

Registered
Sorry if I offended. I'm going on the word of a Chicago LEO I am acquainted with. I'm told many cops in Cook County will arrest and detain even if you have a LEOSA ID, and some of the judges will accept the case for prosecution. If I am wrong, I apologize.

馃帠USAF Veteran Premium Member
P226 Legion LE, P229 Legion LE, P229, P220, P224, P320 X-Vtac, P320 X-Carry Pro, CZ TSO, CZ SP-01
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Sorry if I offended. I'm going on the word of a Chicago LEO I am acquainted with. I'm told many cops in Cook County will arrest and detain even if you have a LEOSA ID, and some of the judges will accept the case for prosecution. If I am wrong, I apologize.
It wouldn't surprise me if it is true, but I'm not sure how it would hold up to prosecution. It's a federal law...on what grounds would they be able to prosecute?

Registered
Fred, I doubt that鈥檚 the case or we would have heard about the numerous retired LEO鈥檚 , who, for all purposes, won lottery sized payouts from Cook County. The case law out there from 2005 forward would prevent/make any conviction, absent a crime, moot. Cook County would go broke.

Registered
you did not offend me and no need to apologize...if this is the case, I'd like to hear or read more as I have been carrying under LEOSA for over 8 years...as I alluded to above, Cook County and their legal system is really going to what I believe is more dangerous for any of us...

Good luck and stay safe...

Bill

81 - 100 of 119 Posts