SIG Talk banner

Legion Rail Wear

4417 34
Hey gang. I wanted to get the opinion of fellow legion owners. This is my 229 legion with about 500 rounds through it. I keep it well lubed with tw-25b however under the rail does show significant wear (much more than my 226). There is a shine under certain light which does concern me. I dont care about cosmetics, just about premature wear on a fairly new gun. Thoughts?

Attachments

Reactions: ScalpeL28
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Hi FLSIGFAN. Welcome to SigTalk. I'm in the wanting and needing but lacking a Legion of any sort group, so far. Sorry I'm a dry hole for information on your rails. I hope you enjoy your time here and the wear you are seeing is nothing to be alarmed about. Greetings from the flat lands of Kansas.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Saying that picture is only way out of focus was being kind. :lolu:

Some Legion owners live along the banks of an Egyptian river and claim you should listen to them and not your lying eyes.

But, the fact is the finish on a Legion is not resilient like the normal finish on all other Sigs. My legion is also well lubed and cared for but has the rail wear and I am toying with selling it as IMO the M11A-1 is the equal without the weak finish (I know, the Legion has a rail but it is not the pic rail it is a proprietary Sig rail so to me it has no rail) but of course, IMO

·
Registered
188 Posts
My 229 Legion has 500 rounds through her and I do not see any ware on my rails. As to the photo, the rail is in the immediate front the depth-of-field did blur the background but that is intentional.

I'm not worried about wear. I use my guns and like any tool I own they have scuff marks, scratches, etc. Keep your 229 lubed, keep shooting your 229, and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
My Legion finish isn't the greatest. It showed wear a little earlier than others but only the finish. I keep it greased up and keep rocking. I do wish it had a different finish but most of my guns have memory bruses so until I have a malfunction because of the finish I guess I don't care much.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
OK, I see the rail at the bottom of the blurred photo. That is not good.

Mine is not nearly even close that bad and I am not happy.

Hey the old my gun is a tool line. Sure, OK.
I drive a new Porsche and park up front at Wal-mart and don't care about the shopping carts hitting it because its just a tool.
Right, gotcha!!

I am a shooter, not a gun person per-say. I shoot from 2-3 to 6-7 times a week so i really do see them as tools but I also notice when the manufacture did not make it to the standard it should have been and the Legion is not up to Sig finish standards

Except for the poor quality finish the Legion is a great pistol

·
Banned
7,265 Posts
Ok, had morning coffee and the photo is coming into focus !
Yes, I can see it, where is the SIG.
That is some good coffee.

Clearly you are experiencing the beer goggles affect which means....that wasn't coffee.:lol:

Meanwhile, the clear item - bottom of the pic is the...focus of his inquiry....

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had some gold showing on the rails after 500 rounds also. It looks the same now after 3000. I assume it was just a little tight there and the gun wore in. I wish it looked a little better, but it has not changed since. It appears that the finish is very thin.

·
🎖USAF Veteran
4,449 Posts
The picture of the Legion where the rail is in the OP's picture does look to be worn. Look at the lower section of the photo and not the blurred center of the photo. You can see the rail is shiny in the photo.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've got 4,750 rounds through my Legion. Even though it was Cerakoted I requested the rails be taped off to preserve the anodizing. What I've noticed so far in mine is that it will wear very quickly through the PVD on the rails but once it hits the shiny anodizing it stops. Mine had a lot of initial very quick wear and then for the next 4,000 rounds it's pretty much stayed the same.

For some reason I've noticed the frame finish is particularly soft. Maybe SIGs PVD doesn't bind well to the anodized aluminum? It does better on the slide so maybe it gets along better with the stainless steel?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have slight wear on my Legion in the rails after 500 rounds I expected that. The finish everywhere else is great.
I feel bad for the ones that were going to buy a Legion but decided not to because they have seen chatter online about the Legion finish.

If the Media was reporting, it would go like this,

CNN - Oh my God!! Big Powerful Sig Corporation misled the American People and Legions are flaking off all over the Country. DONT BUY A LEGION!!!! Finish will flake off and the flakes will poison your Dog. Sig is a Dog Killer!

FOX - Wear in the rails is normal. Enjoy your Legion, and Happy Shooting!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have slight wear on my Legion in the rails after 500 rounds I expected that. The finish everywhere else is great.
I feel bad for the ones that were going to buy a Legion but decided not to because they have seen chatter online about the Legion finish.

If the Media was reporting, it would go like this,

CNN - Oh my God!! Big Powerful Sig Corporation misled the American People and Legions are flaking off all over the Country. DONT BUY A LEGION!!!! Finish will flake off and the flakes will poison your Dog. Sig is a Dog Killer!

FOX - Wear in the rails is normal. Enjoy your Legion, and Happy Shooting!
Careful, your fan-boy is showing. Some of us have had severe and legitimate issues with the finish. There's no reason to discount other's experiences. It's nice yours has turned out so great, from those of us who's haven't, bite me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just purchased a new P226 Legion (manufacture date of Jan 2017) and it already has signs of wear along the top and rear rails. I've never fired the pistol, just broke it down and gave it a good first cleaning. It also has several "light" gray spots, especially on the frame under the recoil spring and under the accessory rail. Coating it with oil didnt help either. As a side note, one side of the pistol's finish looks uniform, and the other side looks almost two-tone. The gunsmith also noticed it. I oiled the gun liberally during the first cleaning so it shouldnt have been an issue with no oil on the gun.

I have numerous other pistols (Sig and non-Sig) with lots of rounds through them and none are showing signs of wear already like this one. I took it back to the dealer this morning because of my concerns about the finish, and Im waiting to see what they (Sig) is going to do about it.

I wish I would have seen all these posts about Legion finish issues because I would have looked through their inventory more closely to find one that was coated better. When I went back today and looked at others they had and I saw one that looked a lot better than mine in places and worse in others. As soon as I find out whats going to happen with it Im going to do a write up with lots of pictures and my customer service experience.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.