SIG Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Doing a lot of thinking about modifications to my Legion 229 today.... I really want to switch out my grips and slide catch for Houge (checkered g10), but I am worried that the grip width/depth on the houge is going to be a lot bigger than the Legion.

The legion Grips USED to feel big to me so I tried the E2's (but they were loose on the frame) - switched back and after a few hundred rounds with Legion grips they felt like the perfect size. I hate to switch it up after I got comfortable...But I simply cannot stand the Legion catch and also the coin in the grips.

Anyone have any experience with the G10 (checkered) vs the Legion grips?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hogue SIG Sauer P228 - P229 Handgun Grip Checkered G-10 28179 Up To 20% OFF Best Rated

This is a good price for the checkered G-10's....and I would gladly buy your legion grips for $100 shipped =)

My other Sigs have G-10 Pirahnas and I like them a lot...no experience with the checkered's..good luck and let me know if you want to sell?
I have had one previous Legion (had problems and sig replaced) and when I sold those grips on Ebay they sold for $280 :-0 :-0 :-0 (I will post on this page once if they go on sale)

Thanks a bunch for the link - saved me some $ if I decide to go Houge. Have you held a legion in comparison to your Houges?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
THATS what I wanted to hear. Wish I could like more than once...

Anyone else with similar impressions? Won't take too many more positive opinions to sell me a set of houges.

On another note: IF I like the houges and am selling the Legions - is it appropriate to post an ebay link here?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have had one previous Legion (had problems and sig replaced) and when I sold those grips on Ebay they sold for $280 :-0 :-0 :-0 (I will post on this page once if they go on sale)

Thanks a bunch for the link - saved me some $ if I decide to go Houge. Have you held a legion in comparison to your Houges?
Yes I've held a Legion and my Hogue grips feel very similar to me....After all they're G-10's....and wow $280, that's big bucks for grips, I just got some 229 G-10 Black Piranhas, and had the SIG Medallions placed for around $130 total...For $280 I'd sell them too =)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks again - you probably know how reassuring this kind of personalized help can be.

So get this - I bought a Legion last year, put new trijicon HD's on it and a E2 grip (sold my Xray's and Grip for around $350)...only to have it break. Sig customer service lets me send it in with the modifications and then tells me that they accidentally crushed my pistol (WHAT?) and have to reimburse me for all my aftermarket parts ($200 check)....AND they sent me a new Legion. I was mad at first...until I realized how much dough I had just made off Sig. Now I hope my new Legion breaks too ;-)

I am going to get the houges and then test it myself - worst case scenario I have to involve myself in another agonizing amazon return.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks Bobby - good to hear it from an owner. I'll post some pics after I'm done changing it all up - hell, I may even get sacrilegious and cerakote the Legion patriot brown.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hogue G10 checkered are identical to Legion G10 checkered, except for the SIG medallion.
They aren't quite the same, size wise yes but the Legion's have higher checkering which I much prefer, especially where I rest my thumb. I have G10's on all my Sigs and would replace some of them with Legion grips if they would sell them, but they won't.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I noticed how they have that thumb checkering on the left side and that higher patch of checking on the right aswell. The Legion grips DO look better - if not for the Legion coin IMO. But that's just me, seems most people have a different aesthetic taste and prefer a medallion.

If they made the grips without the coin they would be the obvious choice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks again - you probably know how reassuring this kind of personalized help can be.

So get this - I bought a Legion last year, put new trijicon HD's on it and a E2 grip (sold my Xray's and Grip for around $350)...only to have it break. Sig customer service lets me send it in with the modifications and then tells me that they accidentally crushed my pistol (WHAT?) and have to reimburse me for all my aftermarket parts ($200 check)....AND they sent me a new Legion. I was mad at first...until I realized how much dough I had just made off Sig. Now I hope my new Legion breaks too ;-)

I am going to get the houges and then test it myself - worst case scenario I have to involve myself in another agonizing amazon return.

Holy ****! How do they just accidentally crush something!?! That's crazy! I'm glad they hooked you up though and acknowledged the extra cash you spent on the mods. Good job Sig (aside from crushing your weapon) lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Holy ****! How do they just accidentally crush something!?! That's crazy! I'm glad they hooked you up though and acknowledged the extra cash you spent on the mods. Good job Sig (aside from crushing your weapon) lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michael (the CS rep) said it was a miscommunication between CS and the shop guys. I'm just glad I didn't send "grandfather's" pistol in for repairs...

I do appreciate sig coming through in the end - although I couldn't stop myself from getting a bit irked when they first told me they crushed it.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Michael (the CS rep) said it was a miscommunication between CS and the shop guys. I'm just glad I didn't send "grandfather's" pistol in for repairs haha...

I do appreciate sig coming through in the end - although I couldn't stop myself from getting a bit irked when they first told me they crushed it.
Now why would customer service have any reason to tell the shop guys to crush a pistol? When did they start offering a hammered finish?

Reactions: wittlescwappy

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I personally like the Piranha grips over the checkered. It's aggressive when you apply pressure, but not as aggressive when you don't. I sort of equate them to suction cups. They're work wonderfully as a back scratcher. LOL

The checkered without be equivalent to so-so aggressive sand paper. If you want even more traction, I've read that the chainlink is the most aggressive, although I do not have experience with those.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I personally like the Piranha grips over the checkered. It's aggressive when you apply pressure, but not as aggressive when you don't. I sort of equate them to suction cups. They're work wonderfully as a back scratcher. LOL

The checkered without be equivalent to so-so aggressive sand paper. If you want even more traction, I've read that the chainlink is the most aggressive, although I do not have experience with those.
I actually just received the checkered houge g10s in the mail and can confirm...100%.... that they are only different from the Legions in 3 areas.
#1 High checkering on both sides for thumbs.
#2 Different sized slide catch recession (in my experience this will NOT allow these grips to just fit on the Legion without changing your controls - I am going to Dremel the grip so I can keep using the Legion small catch I think)
#3 This one was hard to notice - the Legion Grip protrudes out over the smaller Legion decocker more than the Houges aswell. The Legion deocker base is not exposed with the Houges - but it definitely is less covered than with the legion grips. (I may end up using the stock sig decocker instead of the smaller Legion one if this gives me troubles).

The checkering style is exactly the same between the two grips. I actually am using half houge half legion right now - and cannot tell the difference. Wish that I could just buy Houges to fit this smaller decocker - but I guess tomorrow will be a dremel day...

I am thinking I am going to end up with the Houge Grips - the Legion slide catch (because I ride my thumb high and DON'T want the slide catch issue more than I DO want a larger slide catch) - and the stock sig decocker. I will try to remember to return and post those pics - with both sets of controls and then my final build.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I actually just received the checkered houge g10s in the mail and can confirm...100%.... that they are only different from the Legions in 3 areas.
#1 High checkering on both sides for thumbs.
#2 Different sized slide catch recession (in my experience this will NOT allow these grips to just fit on the Legion without changing your controls - I am going to Dremel the grip so I can keep using the Legion small catch I think)
#3 This one was hard to notice - the Legion Grip protrudes out over the smaller Legion decocker more than the Houges aswell. The Legion deocker base is not exposed with the Houges - but it definitely is less covered than with the legion grips. (I may end up using the stock sig decocker instead of the smaller Legion one if this gives me troubles).

The checkering style is exactly the same between the two grips. I actually am using half houge half legion right now - and cannot tell the difference. Wish that I could just buy Houges to fit this smaller decocker - but I guess tomorrow will be a dremel day...

I am thinking I am going to end up with the Houge Grips - the Legion slide catch (because I ride my thumb high and DON'T want the slide catch issue more than I DO want a larger slide catch) - and the stock sig decocker. I will try to remember to return and post those pics - with both sets of controls and then my final build.

The Legion controls came off of the P224. They are identical. I know this because I've owned a P224 and this is also confirmed by other members and armorers here.

If you prefer, just swap the controls by ordering P224 controls. I tend to prefer the larger, P series controls as I've never had an issue with them. Note that the decocking lever on later variants are different in shape that legacy P series controls. It also helps to get the P-Shim from a certain Sig Forum member, however it IS the Sig Forum so it may be a little awkward going there. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts