SIG Talk banner

Legal issues with modified guns

1012 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  57306
I have several guns that I have had the triggers changed out in. I currently carry a stock Glock 19 most of the time or a Sig 938 also stock. I have considered carrying one of the other guns I have with a modified trigger but have always heard thats a no no. What do you think?

I also plan to build another Glock 19 on a polymer 80 frame. Mostly for the range, but I might carry it if it turns out like I hope. Is it just to risky to carry these?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6,606 Posts
You hear certain Instructors talking about this, but they never provide a cite.

Show me a case where it's ever come up in a courtroom and I'll give it careful consideration.

They can't provide a cite because it's never happened, so what they say is "do you want to be the first person convicted because of this"?

I wouldn't worry about it for a second. It's just some people trying to be relevant in today's Instruction world.

· Registered
5,818 Posts
I agree with FlashLB, but stand by for some vociferous condemnation of modified guns in general.

If it's a "good shoot", and you live in an area that is not controlled by Bloomberg (i.e. a decent DA), this issue of a modified gun will never ever see a courtroom or jury.

If the shoot is questionable, or even bad, then a "hair trigger" or some such blather, has been brought up in court to sway a jury, usually in a civil case, that the shooter had a callous disregard for human like and was out looking for someone to shoot. Grips with skulls on the will probably not help much either. You get the idea.

In states like NV, if the shooting is justified, in the defense of life or serious injury, then a civil law suit is not allowed - - period.

The take away? Have safe trigger work done if you wish (mine are modified as I find I shoot better with a nice trigger) but make darn sure you know and comply with the law. Don't go looking for trouble, know when using deadly force is justified. Don't use your gun when it's not justified.

· Registered
5,987 Posts
Good points above, and as you know we do have our justice system issues here in Colorado. My Lakewood, CO 'felony calls' LEO friend says we shouldn't worry with typical trigger job type mods. But he doesn't suggest doing anything silly with a carry weapon either.

Keep in mind that Boulder and Denver are not 2A friendly places, so use caution when traveling through or visiting those counties...

Cheers

· Registered
5,818 Posts
I've posted a link to this study before, on the one hand is shows how few self defense shooters are charged, on the other hand, when you read the details of shootings where charges were brought, most were not squeaky clean cut and dried. And while this doesn't directly address the question of a modified gun, it is directly connected as I mentioned before, a good shoot won't even get beyond the DA's office - as it won't be charged.

Study: Out of 146 self-defense shooting claims across the nation, 12 led to charges

· Banned
5,101 Posts
You could be prosecuted for a shooting, and the prosecutor may use the fact that you modified your gun to make the trigger lighter, but if you intend to shoot someone the focus would be on whether the shoot was justified or not. If it is determined that you did not have sufficient grounds to shoot them, or you shot them by accident, the trigger modification may come into play, but if your shoot is justified the trigger would be a moot point. You're always going to have someone, especially a lawyer, argue that it could be an issue, but if you do a search you'll see that there isn't any case law to support the argument. I just tried! LOL

Reactions: hodge

· Registered
5,502 Posts
You could be prosecuted for a shooting, and the prosecutor may use the fact that you modified your gun to make the trigger lighter, but if you intend to shoot someone the focus would be on whether the shoot was justified or not. If it is determined that you did not have sufficient grounds to shoot them, or you shot them by accident, the trigger modification may come into play, but if your shoot is justified the trigger would be a moot point. You're always going to have someone, especially a lawyer, argue that it could be an issue, but if you do a search you'll see that there isn't any case law to support the argument. I just tried! LOL
This is good to process- this isn't the only forum, or the only time on this one, where the topic has come up.
I've kept all of mine stock, because I am happy with them. Personally- I'm not judging anyone else's preference- I chose to learn the stock triggers.

· Banned
5,101 Posts
This is good to process- this isn't the only forum, or the only time on this one, where the topic has come up.
I've kept all of mine stock, because I am happy with them. Personally- I'm not judging anyone else's preference- I chose to learn the stock triggers.
I do the same...I have modified only one pistol, which was a M&P45, and I replaced the sear. That made the trigger lighter, but not too light. Really, just a little smoother, actually, but it did make a difference. I've never modified a Glock or any other gun outside that.

· Registered
63 Posts
I have a modified 1911. Lots of mods. With that said, I was advised by an attorney that after modding- have the gun checked by a licensed gunsmith.

There is case law of a prosecutor using it to sway a jury. Even in the Zimmerman trial, there was an attempt. But not many times does it succeed. In my state it would come out he planned to use it during a pretrial hearing. It's easy to kick that evidence if a gunsmith who inspected it says "The guy was safe, these modifications were for ergonomics and safety. These mods are actually common." Why make it harder for your side?

Other things that have been attempted to be used:
capacity of the mags
type of gun used
cosmetic mods (religion, punisher mods, smile wait for flash)
gimmick ammo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.