SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Favorite: Sig-Sauer P220 .45 Made in West Germany
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A tribute to my 1st and most meaningful law enforcement handgun: Upon joining a Sheriff’s Office at the young age of nineteen, I chose a Sig-Sauer P-220 .45 for law enforcement use. I purchased this Classic at a local gun show, even before I was legally old enough to do so.

I trained extensively with this .45 and ultimately earned the “Outstanding Shooter” trophy during my Police Academy in 1993.

It’s a West Germany model with a G176XXX serial number. I still have the original receipt, Owner’s Manual, and test target. I’ve shot probably 10,000 rounds through it, including some of the cheapest, dirtiest, lead bullet ammo that was commonly used for training back in the “Good ‘Ole Days”.

It faithfully served me well during the arrests of many dangerous individuals!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and excellent pistol and story!

I wish I had an emotional attachment to my duty weapons, but nope.:lol:

I’ve had 3 issued Glock 22’s and now a Glock 17. I may ask them if I can buy my 17 when I retire, but I had zero interest in the 22’s, and they did offer to let us buy those.

·
Registered
22,036 Posts
Welcome to the SIGTalk family!
Thank you for your service.
That is a fine testament to one of the best guns ever made.

Reactions: HardRockJeep

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
And I switched my duty weapon in 92' from a S&W Model 59 to a Sig P220 (G193xxx), for the next 17 years that was my companion, the final 2 years I went with a P226 BWTAC. Mine has a lot of holster wear, what I refer to as character.

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
Think about having your badge engraved on it? Sig does it through the Custom Shop Services.

I have a Sig 220 Custom that was raffled off as a benefit to a Brentwood, NH officer killed in the line of duty a few years back. Thought about having his name and patch engraved. The gun will remain unfired.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My Sig p220 Duty

The Sig p220 is an incredible pistol. I used to work as a law enforcement ranger for the National Park Service. When I started we used revolvers (for me a S&W Model 66) but like everyone else transitioned to semi-autos. When we changed, I could select any semi-auto as long as it was a Sig. I bumped into one of the firearms instructors from FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Glynco, GA) and he asked me which Sig did I select. When I told him the p220 he responded, "Good man!" I never regretted that decision.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Nice! trusted and faithful friend. :)

Reactions: HardRockJeep

·
Registered
310 Posts
Neat story, and a nice display as well. And an original spur hammer version to boot. Take care of that 220 and it will take care of you. Thank you for your service.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts