SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone agrees on the subject of using lasers on weapons....correct? ;)

Is there any documented cases where a person using a laser equipped weapon was detected and shot due to having a laser light on his weapon?

IMO, there are good reasons for not using a laser but is this argument about detection one of them? What about exposing an eye while behind an obstacle and your gun hand in a different location where you can see a dot on the target and shoot but you cannot see your OM sights? Such as may be the case in a crowded mall and you want to know where that projectile is going to hit.

Reactions: Lane73

· Registered
489 Posts
humans can't see the laser only if it "lights" up something. So you can't see the source of the laser unless there is fog/smoke/dust then you'll see it partially.

lasers shut off really quickly so any argument against laser is pretty laughable to me except concealment issues or the user not properly learning how to shoot without (or with) a laser to begin with.

· Registered
18,006 Posts
I doubt that we'll agree on lasers as we don't agree on anything else.

Personally, I want no lasers on my guns, but that's just me....and the 15 people I shoot with every week. None of us likes them.

I do know one guy who does like them, though, and he's showed me how to make them work well.

· Registered
864 Posts
Happens all the time in the Predator movies...

I haven't heard of any specific cases.

I can imagine a smoke filled room scenario tho. Just like many other scenario would make a laser irrelevant.

The most laughable one is the idea of a laser as deterrent for when the bad guy "sees the laser on his chest". Lol. Why on earth would he be looking at his chest !?!?!

· Premium Member
18,482 Posts
lasers shut off really quickly so any argument against laser is pretty laughable to me except concealment issues or the user not properly learning how to shoot without (or with) a laser to begin with.
Laugh away. While the OP points out one of the only points I can come up with in favor of the laser, shooting from an unconventional position, using the laser to find your point of impact, I will chose a red dot every time over a laser. The primary reason to me for this preference is really quite simple - you don't know what type of background your laser is going to illuminate upon. This can make picking up the dot's illumination quite difficult at times. With a red dot, you present your weapon in the same manner, obtaining a sight on target very similar to that used with conventional "iron" sights so you really aren't searching for anything out of the ordinary. With a red dot, I run with both eyes open at typical defensive distances. The same technique can be used with a laser, so no advantage to the laser.

· Registered
489 Posts
Laugh away. While the OP points out one of the only points I can come up with in favor of the laser, shooting from an unconventional position, using the laser to find your point of impact, I will chose a red dot every time over a laser. The primary reason to me for this preference is really quite simple - you don't know what type of background your laser is going to illuminate upon. This can make picking up the dot's illumination quite difficult at times. With a red dot, you present your weapon in the same manner, obtaining a sight on target very similar to that used with conventional "iron" sights so you really aren't searching for anything out of the ordinary. With a red dot, I run with both eyes open at typical defensive distances. The same technique can be used with a laser, so no advantage to the laser.
Who said you cant have a red dot optic AND a laser (laser/strobe/flash)?

Not mutually exclusive to have installed. Optics can fail/break.

· Registered
18,006 Posts
Happens all the time in the Predator movies...

I haven't heard of any specific cases.

I can imagine a smoke filled room scenario tho. Just like many other scenario would make a laser irrelevant.

The most laughable one is the idea of a laser as deterrent for when the bad guy "sees the laser on his chest". Lol. Why on earth would he be looking at his chest !?!?!
Ever shoot indoors, like a range? Even the ones with proper ventilation end up with smoke in short order. At that point, the laser is definitely visible.

All it takes is any amount of particulate matter in the air and the beams become visible, and that includes dust from dirty rooms. One gunshot ought to be enough to stir up enough dust to make things visible.

Full disclosure: I spent 10 years working on medical lasers and have seen tons of their beams in brightly lit rooms.

· Registered
9,114 Posts
I can agree on THAT.
No way hoser! I disagree about agreeing on disagreeing.:confused:

I have Crimson Trace laser grips on my carry and nightstand P229s.

I don't use the laser for shooting outdoors in sunlight. Not bright enough in any case.

I find the laser very useful for practice dry fire, especially point shooting from retention - I can leave pressure off the button until I want to confirm POI. It's also good for trigger pull practice as you can watch for any movement in POA, kinda like a visual version of keeping a nickel balanced on your front sight during pull.

I want the laser on my nightstand gun as well as the weapon light. Far easier and more convenient indoors, allows for shooting the weapon in more positions including off hand than would a reflex sight. The CT doesn't "stick out" from the gun as does a red dot either - it's just pretty much there if you need it.

An active laser is not, IMO a replacement for open sights or for a red dot. It serves it's own purpose indoors or in low ambient light conditions. I don't normally consider it as a primary aiming device.

I have the CT version that has a button on each side of the grips. The dominant, outboard side button would get pushed by my airplane seat belt buckle and sports car seat belt too, draining the battery in short order. I solved the problem using a hypodermic needle to inject epoxy into the button. Only the off hand button functions, activated by strong hand middle finger tip. I have large hands so that works well. Edit to add: I think most of CT's lasers use a button on the front of the grip now, so the seat belt buckle thing would not be an issue with those - I still prefer the button the the weak side, as I find it easier to operate the laser intermittently that way.

· Registered
535 Posts
I am not a huge Laser fan boy but I do see the advantages of of them in defensive situations.

Not really the debate or intent of the original post I know..

Back on topic:
--if the room isn't all smoked out then the trajectory of the laser's dot on the target won't be detectable,
unless of course you're somehow sucked into a Die-Hard movie type scenario where the terrorists are throwing flashbangs around the room.. ;)

I couldn't find the Exact video I was looking for but this guy is big on using lasers on defensive guns and for the most part I totally agree.

Wouldn't you want every advantage available to you in the defense of yourself or family member?

Edit^^ somebody please school me on the correct macro for imbedding youtube vids on this site..
&
Also, advanced apology if you didn't already know gunblast guy is also a big Ruger guy..

https://youtu.be/MHw_3ygZrbM

· Registered
358 Posts
My 2022 came with a laser, thought of selling it but curiosity made me mount it and I think it makes the pistol look more solid, than without. I keep the battery out since I don't use it, but tried it at the range one time.

· Registered
14 Posts
Fundamentals of marksmanship for me. Tasers have lasers and I find I still use the sights rather than the laser. The only reason I leave the laser on is so other officers know what is coming.

And a laser in daylight is absolutely worthless beyond more than a couple feet...so you are right back to the fundamentals. Sight picture/sight alignment/front sight focus.

· Registered
894 Posts

· Registered
303 Posts
I have a laser/light combo for bedside gun, also has a suppressor. I find it absolutely appropriate for my situation. There is nothing wrong with lasers, they have their place.
However, I will say that there is no substitute for the 7 fundamentals. I believe in learning the fundamentals first, then work toward alternative options. And that is how I and my teaching partner go about instruction. We don't teach "the" way, but "a"way. The only thing we are firm on is the 4 safety rules. No deviation whatsoever.

· Registered
173 Posts
Not a fan of lasers but they are helpful for dry fire training. Not a fan of mounted lights either, investigate a "bump in the night" and end up muzzle sweeping Jr sneaking in late.

· Registered
758 Posts
My carry Gun, has a Laser, a light, a Red dot, as well as fiber optic tritium sights. I like options.

I hardly ever turn the laser on, usually about 1 magazine, out of 20 on my weekly range trips. Mostly just to verify it is still sighted properly and working.

I don't like shooting with a laser, it doesn't feel natural to me. I am a huge fan of Red Dots, it puts the focal poit of the sight and the target at the target distance, which with my old eyes is a necessity over about 5 yards. Because the Red Dot has you looking through it, similar to iron sights, it feels natural to me, and my irons are right there, so the presentation doesn't change. I realize you can use the same presentation with the laser, but the fact that you don't have to (which is the advantage mentioned above) makes it feel unnatural to me.

It's not a SIG, but I like it for carry:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.