SIG Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your overall thoughts on lasers?

Thinking of putting one on my P229EE, which I use for home defense.

Green or red?

Modify grip with Crimson Trace or put something on rail?

Go Seahawks!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
First off, Green lasers are easier to see in daylight than red ones. If you are going to put a flashlight on your pistol then the Crimson Trace grip is the way to go, that way your rail is still available for the light. Some people like lasers and some don't but in the case for my wife's pistol, I put a laser on her's for the ease of aiming in a panic situation. Under stress from a home invasion or burglary I think it will give her an advantage over trying to line up the sights correctly while she is stressed. It makes me feel at ease also that she has this advantage. I also have a rail mounted laser on my AR for the same situation, it just makes it easier for quick shots. On a side note, when at the range using a laser, it really shows how much your hands move while aiming, it is sometimes difficult to hold that little dot on the bullseye. When I was sighting my wife's laser, I noticed just how much I move from point of aim during trigger press. On the plus side, the laser can act as a training tool during dry fire practices to teach the shooter to hold a steady aim, much like the old coin on the slide trick.

·
Premium Member
36,215 Posts
I tried grip, guide rod, and rail lasers and the only laser I would have is a squeeze on grip laser.
I don't have lasers anymore other than a grip officer set stored in my safe. I think any shooting I would be involved in would be close and fast, and sights or a laser would not be critical. Just having a gun would be critical.
Red is usually half the price of green and pistols are well within the range of red.
With a rifle, green would be more advantage.
it really would come down to daylight for me on a pistol. If daylight is not important then red no contest on a handgun.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a sig stl-900 laser/light combo on my p226 elite dark which I use specifically for home defense. Once mounted I used loctite to keep the laser aimed properly. Love it!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
So I have several weapon light/laser, mostly put on short rifles, but have a surefire and a streamlight-G on pistols. Took them to the range to sight in, couldn't see anything from the surefire at 25yds but easily saw the green streamlight and was able to sight that one in. That being said I really don't like the bulk of them on a pistol so if I was attached to having a laser I'd probably go with the crimson trace.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Since one of our SP2022's will be the wife's HD pistol, she has the Streamlight TLR-4 light/laser (red) combo on it. I like it for several reasons. For one thing, it helps to see where the bullet will go. During a HD situation, it will probably be dark. The light helps for proper identification of who. And, just in my humble opinion, any bad guy that see's a red laser trained on them will know that we mean business! Just in case they only see a flashlight.

We did go to sight-in the laser, but it was quite cold that day and it seemed to be hitting o.k., but I probably need to get it to the 7 yard line (the target was at 15 yards).

I have a TLR-1 coming for my 1911 and a recovertactical rail add-on for my Springfield Armory Loaded model. No laser for me...Not sure why.

Happy shooting and be safe!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Streamlight makes the TLR-2G that is a green laser with flashlight and can resist moisture. It fits well on my MK25 and my X-Five as the rails are mil-spec. Most other Sig rails are not mil-spec so the fit would not be as good.

Other green lasers may not be moisture resistant. The downsides are many. Green lasers are relatively new to firearms. Of my two TLR-2Gs, one died immediately after firing a few rounds at the range. It was under warranty, so it was replaced in a few weeks.

Batteries will only last about an hour if the light is used. The laser will give your position away, especially if used in fog. Range is usually better with a green laser.

Crimson Traces use red lasers, but are easier to carry in a holster. The side activation models work better for me, but may be activated by a holster thereby exhausting the batteries. Front activation is a pain, but the lasers are a bit better and the difficulty in activation also means you are less likely to turn on the laser accidentally. As always, the laser will give your position away when activated.

Both types of laser are no substitute for conventional sights. All of my conventional sights are fixed night sights except for two target models with adjustable sights. So why use lasers? Because they allow getting on target faster if you need bifocals. Most folks over forty need bifocals.

Bill

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Go Seahawks!
Don't use the pistol to shoot at your bird infestation, contact a wildlife organization and maybe they will relocate them for you. I myself think it would be cool to have sea hawks living close to my home!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your too funny!

Don't use the pistol to shoot at your bird infestation, contact a wildlife organization and maybe they will relocate them for you. I myself think it would be cool to have sea hawks living close to my home!
Love your sense of humor!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts