SIG Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate thoughts/feedback on a lasersight for the P226. Right now I'm looking at the Crimson Trace and the LasorMax. What bothered me at first, after seeing a video about the latter one was the pulsing and it appeared to be hard to see. My gunsmith has one on his though and it wasn't distracting. These things are a little pricey so would like to get it right the first time. Thanks everyone.

Registered
Welcome from San Diego area and check out Viridian

Registered
Highly recommend the Crimson Trace. The grip versions anyway, no experience with the rail mount type.

Have you looked in the SIGTALK classified ? I believe someone is selling CT for the 226.

Oh, And welcome

Registered
I have a Crimson Trace 229 set that I was going to sell here. But due to a change in some events I am going to keep it and put it permanent on the 229 CPO I just got and turn it into a House Gun. It will be my "Ugly Sig" house gun

Registered
Streamlight TLR-2 HL 800 Lumens (very very bright) equipped with Light and Laser

Has the strobe function in all modes light, laser and light + laser also constant on and momentary. The price is steep but I love the thing. Need to order another one for my bedside pistol as this one is mounted on hers. I think these are a great option for those with poor eyesight. Plus I like grabbing everything in one shot. Well everything besides the spare mag anyway.

Registered
If you want the laser for HD only, then I agree with Sandaholic. If you want to carry the gun w/laser, then CT laser grips are a good option (I have them on two P229s) with a caveat. The CT grips make an already wide double stack gun, a little wider. I have big hands and CTs are comfortable. If unsure, check first.

CT pros:

Natural and intuitive. I leave the on/off switch on all the time. The laser is only on when I grip the gun. Note mine are the old style CT grip with a button on each side (as opposed to the newer version with the front button). I disabled my "outside" button as it would hit the seat belt buckle in my plane and sports car, draining the battery in a couple of hours. I used a syringe to inject epoxy into the rubber button from the outside surface - worked well and I did it on two sets of grips). This leaves only the middle finger of my strong hand to push the "inside" button - this work really well, especially for practice dry fire and point shooting. I can point the gun, then briefly hit the laser button to verify point. Or leave the laser on and check how steady my trigger pull is.

On any lighted practice, my first "go to" is the front sight (a big orange dot Trijicon HD). I do not depend on the laser, but it's there if needed. Very nice on a HD gun. Holds zero well.

Premium Member
Welcome to SigTalk. All of my laser experience is with CT. Good products. I can't say they are better for I don't know. I hope you enjoy your laser no matter what you go with.
I also hope you enjoy your time on these forums. Greetings from the flat lands of Kansas.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome from San Diego area and check out Viridian
Thanks for the referral. Looked at the site and looks good. Even has one for my Ruger LCs9. How are their holsters? I've got one for the ruger that is very comfortable. Don't even know it's on. In fact, I put a GUN sign on the inside of my front door so I don't inadvertently walk out with it to go places. NJ is not a forgiving state.

Registered
Are you referring to something rail mounted or the crimson lasergrips and lasermax guiderod?

For rail mounts and the lasergrips, if you have the occasional need to remove (say for cleaning or whatever) after re-mounting you have to go and re-zero them. I havent used it yet but the lasermax guiderod is supposed to hold its zero

Registered
I bought a LaserMax guiderod for my P226 and have been quite pleased with it. Initially I was thinking it would make holster selection easier, but it turns out it also seems like just less to mess with, closer to the bore, all that jazz. Honestly, I find that I shoot almost as well and much faster without using the laser, but for home or self defense, lasers have a reputation for making people compliant.

I have a Crimson Trace RailMaster that I had bought as well, but there is a Stream Light mounted there now instead. Of the two LaserMax Guiderods I have bought, both worked well out of the box and go back right where they are supposed to after disassembly, cleaning, etc. The 1911 I had with laser grips wasn't my cup of tea, occasionally my grip would cover the laser, so I knew I was not going that route.

Registered
Great review NorthernMichigan. Does it only work in pulse?

Oh and one more question, if I remember correctly it has something to do with the take down leaver becoming the on/off switch? Can you explain a little about this part and whether its electronic? Im concerned about whether this would prevent me from cleaning my gun(s) in an ultrasonic cleaner

Registered
Welcome to our SIG Talk forum.

Full size "SIG Sauers", "CZ" sport pistols, and classic collectible "USGI 1911s" have always been among my favourite guns, I have owned at least half a dozen SIG Sauers, great guns especially older German-proofed ones, the P226 to me is by far the most reliable pistol that I have owned in over 38 years of shooting handguns, and I've seen enough makes and models, in all service calibers, to know what to trust and what not to.
In the past I've been an avid gun-hoarder; jokes apart I mainly collected Lugers, Mausers C96, 1911s and Colt Pythons.
Not long ago I realized that a huge pile of pistols wasn't making my life any better, so recently I thinned my collection, but since the COLT 1911 has always been in my heart I still own a bunch of them.
I never stop learning, and I love learning with enthusiasm.
After over 38 years of guns-ownership I still enjoy shooting my own reloadings at IDPA ranges at least twice a week.
JMO this is one of the best gun forums among the several I belong to, to me it's quite a learning experience. hope you'll enjoy your time here.

Safe shooting.

馃帠USMC Veteran Premium Member
Welcome from Florida's Treasure Coast. Go with a Crimson Trace.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.