SIG Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

馃帠USA Veteran
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent part yesterday following an on-line & live auction in Montrose, GA. I could of bid but choose not to.

I had to keep reminding myself there was an 18% buyers premium, 8% sales tax and in my case FFL cost along with shipping cost. I doubt if you had it shipped out of State to your FFL, you would of had to pay sales tax.

What might of been a deal was erased by the above factors. There were a lot of nice firearms. I suspect at least part of the auction must of come from a rather large collection.

Here is a link which shows pictures and auction sold-for prices (Enjoy);

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalo...l&utm_content=Live&utm_campaign=ReminderEmail

Registered
I looked at a few pages. I didn't see any spectacular deals. I agree that the 18% really made it not worth buying unless there was something unique that you were looking for.

Registered
Last gun auction I attended was downright ridiculous. People got into a bidding war over a Remington 597 .22 rifle with a big gouge down the side and a missing magazine. Thing sold for more than I could buy one for new at Walmart less than a mile away. Something like $250 (MSRP ~$225). Absolutely ridiculous. I've been to several over the years and it's super rare for them not to be heavily attended by people with more money that sense. I don't even bother going anymore.

Registered
Last gun auction I attended was downright ridiculous. People got into a bidding war over a Remington 597 .22 rifle with a big gouge down the side and a missing magazine. Thing sold for more than I could buy one for new at Walmart less than a mile away. Something like $250 (MSRP ~$225). Absolutely ridiculous. I've been to several over the years and it's super rare for them not to be heavily attended by people with more money that sense. I don't even bother going anymore.
Same type of thing I experienced. I don't go to gun auctions any more because of that.

Registered
Sometimes, though, you can snag some once-in-a-lifetime type deals. Several years ago (like 10 or more now, I'm sure), I picked up two rifles at an estate auction for a fraction of what they were worth at the time, entirely because nobody knew what they were.

First item snagged that day, a rather minty 1915 New England Westinghouse M91 Mosin Nagant Finnish captured rifle. I got it for $130. It was easily worth $500 at the time. And I could very quickly sell it for $1000 today, maybe even much more if I tossed it up on gunbroker.com.

The real gem that day was this 1939 Tula-built SVT38, also a Finnish captured rifle. This rifle is the only reason I made the 3 hour drive to the estate auction. I had never seen an SVT38 in the flesh, much less with an opportunity to buy it. These rifles are extremely rare - most didn't make it through WW2. I know guys who've been collecting milsurps for 40 years and they've never been able to find an SVT38 in the wild. The rifle was easily worth $2000 at the time, perhaps even closer to $2500. Today it's probably not crazy to expect $3000-3500 for it, particularly if I put it up on gunbroker. I got it for $600. And everyone in attendance thought I was just a stupid guy buying a ratty old SVT40. I think the moment the hammer dropped and I started giggling (I totally was laughing about it, too, because I was in complete shock about the entire deal), everyone else figured out that I knew something they didn't. :)

But, yeah, generally speaking I avoid online auctions because of all the fees. Makes it impossible to get these sorts of deals anymore.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.