SIG Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Wow those look like some nice blades you've made there.
I mean wow ...really...very nice!!!
:cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: Papa Sig and Opaul

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Wow! ... the man has skills! As a life long knife junkie, but have never made one, I can really appreciate your work. I can put a good edge on a knife and have a pretty good size collection but wish I had your talent to make my own.

Really well done sir ... :bow:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does your average person get into crafting knives or other blades? Make friends with a blacksmith (or pay one)?
I guess it depends. Walter Sorrells has a you tube channel that explains a lot of knife making using minimum tools.

I started using a 4" hand held grinder and a belt sander. Then I purchased a small 1" belt grinder.
Then I progressed a 2x72 knife grinder and was able to put together really nice equipment. I do my own heat treating using an Evenheat knife kiln. I use mostly high carbon steel - 10xx series but have been making a few SS knives as well. I'll post some of those up as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a stainless billet I purchased from Vegas forge - the blade is stock removal which is the majority of what I do. Both images are SS damascus.

Here is one in progress, another SS billet from Vegas forge and stock removal.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm a knife guy; had 7 or 8 Randalls, many old Pumas and several full customs before I started giving them away, and yours are equal to any as far as beauty is concerned. Very, very fine work!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
....darn I want a few of those:):):)

the second to last would look good in the custom farmhouse kitchen I'm about to build for My wife....
It reminds me of an 8" chefs knife...looks easy to keep sharp
I've been busting out some great impromptu recipes lately, a good knife makes it fun...:D

Reactions: Opaul and Papa Sig

·
Registered
433 Posts
Those are really nice. I can imagine a tremendous of efforts are involved. Am really happy for OP for his retirement but also admire him of making it happen.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Nice collection.

Reactions: Papa Sig
1 - 19 of 19 Posts