SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search (on here and the interwebs) and have seen people comment that the Sig P938 magazines work in the Kimber Micro 9 (and vice versa). However, the comments have been about the 7-round magazines.

I noticed that Kimber makes an 8-round magazine for the Micro 9 and was curious if anyone here has tried this magazine with their P938.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Seeing how the difference between the 7 & 8 round magazines sticks out of the bottom of the magazine well, no reason why the Kimber 8 round would not work in a 938.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Yes. I bought a used Micro 9 off of a friend, and it had some Sig mags with it. They ran great, just as well as the Kimbers.
Metalform makes both.

·
Registered
10 Posts
P938 with Kimber Micro 9 — 8 round magazine. This is a great option if you want more hand on your grip. Last year I read on this forum that a Sig P290 magazine would work well with my 938 if one had the magazine modified with the catch cut into it. I had a machine shop make the necessary box cut out ($20) and I have been EDC & shooting with that P290 mag since then. It allows a full purchase of my big hand on the grip which provides me much greater control.
While at a gun show a couple of weeks ago, conversation with a dealer lead to him telling me a Kimber Micro 9 magazine would also fit the 938 and by chance I saw them for sale at my local gun/shooting range for $26.98. I was hooked and had to try it. Fit and function proved reliable and a micrometer showed all of the right measurements in the right places. The red line on the photo shows the alignment of the top of the magazine catch(s) even though I didn’t exactly lay the mags on the table in perfect fashion. You will notice in the photos that the Kimber mag also has the extended notch on the front of the mag to match the detent on the 938.
RANGE TEST: Today 2 boxes of inexpensive Remington 124 grain down the tube with no failures. Magazine stays open on last round. Success — purchased another mag today as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P938 with Kimber Micro 9 — 8 round magazine. This is a great option if you want more hand on your grip. Last year I read on this forum that a Sig P290 magazine would work well with my 938 if one had the magazine modified with the catch cut into it. I had a machine shop make the necessary box cut out ($20) and I have been EDC & shooting with that P290 mag since then. It allows a full purchase of my big hand on the grip which provides me much greater control.

While at a gun show a couple of weeks ago, conversation with a dealer lead to him telling me a Kimber Micro 9 magazine would also fit the 938 and by chance I saw them for sale at my local gun/shooting range for $26.98. I was hooked and had to try it. Fit and function proved reliable and a micrometer showed all of the right measurements in the right places. The red line on the photo shows the alignment of the top of the magazine catch(s) even though I didn’t exactly lay the mags on the table in perfect fashion. You will notice in the photos that the Kimber mag also has the extended notch on the front of the mag to match the detent on the 938.

RANGE TEST: Today 2 boxes of inexpensive Remington 124 grain down the tube with no failures. Magazine stays open on last round. Success — purchased another mag today as well.

Awesome news. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
didn't you said in previous post that the 938 was not in the approved list for Komemierfornia ?
You are correct. The P938 is not on the CA Handgun Roster. As a civilian I cannot buy it new from the local gun store but one can be had at a premium via a private party sale (such as by an exempt person currently owning one - such as a law enforcement officer - who wants to sell it).

I have acquired my off-roster handguns in such a manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
-kimber-micro-9-8-round-magazines-sig-p938

I tried these mags today in my p938. 2 mags with a mix of ammo and they functioned perfectly. I also like the extended grip.

·
Registered
354 Posts
So for Legion owners these would probably work fine so long as you unscrew the magwell extension and remove it before sliding these 8rd mags in?

Not that I want to do that, but it's an intriguing thought.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks good so far

I bought it on eBay, good price, 3 day delivery.

Some pictures. I'm going to the range today and will report on performance.

So, quick trip to the range and perfect results for 48 rounds. Grip felt nice too.

Nice solution.

:D

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought it on eBay, good price, 3 day delivery.

Some pictures. I'm going to the range today and will report on performance.

So, quick trip to the range and perfect results for 48 rounds. Grip felt nice too.

Nice solution.

:D
I just got two of them and put 200 rounds through them without a single hiccup. They will be my range magazines, for cc I’ll stick with the Sig seven rounders.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Kimber Micro9 mags in P938

The Kimber Micro9 mags arrived today. The mags fit well and look good. The overall length is perfect for my large hands. One odd thing is that Kimber pinky extension is thinner than the Sig pinky extension. I expect to get used to that quickly.

I tried one mag with snap caps as a first test. No problems there. Next, I will clean the mags from whatever shipping lubrication and dirt they have. Can't wait to run them with ammo.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Just took P938 with Kimber Micro9 (8-shot) mags out for a trial run. Could not have asked for a better experience. The gun is easier to hold/grip with this extended mag. (ymmv). I ran Federal HST 124 grain, Speer Lawman 124 grain, and Speer Lawman 147 grain through it flawlessly .

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just took P938 with Kimber Micro9 (8-shot) mags out for a trial run. Could not have asked for a better experience. The gun is easier to hold/grip with this extended mag. (ymmv). I ran Federal HST 124 grain, Speer Lawman 124 grain, and Speer Lawman 147 grain through it flawlessly .

So the fit is perfect with no alterations needed? If so I’m interest in picking up a few!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Kimber micro9, 8-shot mag perfect p938 fit

So the fit is perfect with no alterations needed? If so I’m interest in picking up a few!
That's right. The Kimber mags are a perfect fit. The mag base plate (pinky extension) is thinner than the sig version. That took all of a minute to get used to.

For my shooting style and large hands, these Kimber mags are ideal.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's right. The Kimber mags are a perfect fit. The mag base plate (pinky extension) is thinner than the sig version. That took all of a minute to get used to.

For my shooting style and large hands, these Kimber mags are ideal.

Sounds good. I noticed they’re in stock at a local shop. Time to pick up a couple.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts