SIG Talk banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

馃帠USAF Retired
Only reasons to stop using the 228.
1. No more springs available
2. Has 20k plus rounds through it and is showing excessive wear.
3. Part specific to P228 broke and no replacements can be found.
4. Someone offered stupid money for it and you sold it.

Me, I like the idea of having more than one pistol. You never know when your boat will capsize and it sinks with your guns.

Registered
There is nothing wrong with a Sig retiring from EDC. My two P226s retired duty weapons (one in 9mm and one in .40) I never carry but I love spending range time with them. Still love them both.

Registered
I'd vote for keep using it too. If you do want a "backup", the P229 is a great choice. I'd be looking for one from about 1992 to 2005 at the latest. Unless you need a rail, then 2007 or so.

Registered
OK, this is probably gonna sound stupid to a lot of people but I鈥檓 looking for opinions from the gallery. I have an old W. German P228. It looks old on the outside with faded finish and holster marks, but mechanically it鈥檚 really good. It shoots well, it has little to no wear on the anodizing on the frame and no rust, all that kind of stuff. I have 15 or so zipper back magazines and a spring rebuild kit in the closet. So, I suppose I could keep using it as things wear out I could keep it going. My question is, given its age, at what point should I start to consider this like a classic antique car and just keep it in the safe and bring it out every now and then, but get something else that鈥檚 newer to shoot every day? I know the new ones have different magazines and require a different holster. Of course there鈥檚 the expense of buying a whole new pistol.
Best way to fix your problem is to get a 229, and an M11A1 to go with your 228.

Premium Member
I say keep using it. These things are built to last. Storing extra parts is always a good idea (especially with SIG), but that pistol can easily outlast you. Personally, I think a pistol looks better with age. I love the Boba Fett look! Every wear mark is just a reminder that thing has has been there for you.

Premium Member
By the way, the only SIG I still have is a P229, and I love it, so when I say keep using the P228 in lieu of buying a P229, I mean it.

Registered
I'm fairly certain that you won't get the advice here NOT to buy a P229. In all seriousness, for purposes of accessories, magazines, etc., I recommend you get a P229. I'd keep the P228 for sure, but it is obsolete.

Registered
OK, this is probably gonna sound stupid to a lot of people but I鈥檓 looking for opinions from the gallery. I have an old W. German P228.....
Keep it, and keep depending upon it. If you really care, you can touch up the finish with a sharpie, or a specialized "paint pen" from the cleaning aisle at the LGS. Or call SIG, and ask about a refinish from the factory.

A worthy upgrade, update, or maintenance consideration is freshening up the sights. Lots of options.... all boil down to personal preference, but DO NOT discard the originals, or for that matter, if you still have them, the original packaging, test target, sales receipt, original grips, etc. That's easily 10% of the value of a collectable firearm....

Do do yourself a favor, secure a couple of spring kits, maybe some other key internal parts NOW while you can still get them. They will extend the life and reliability, and if you ever decide to sell it, being able to look at the seller and say "here are all new innards" ain't gonna do anything but enhance value.

If you really want to treat yourself, get on the phone with one of the Armorers at GreyGuns, and discuss upgrade / customization options. I don't know what you're starting with, but options might include a Short Reset Trigger kit (which includes a new, hand-tuned sear), dual adjustable trigger, flat or curved, and maybe some others.....

If you can detail strip the thing, i.e., totally disassemble, you can 95% be sure you can install any of Bruce's kits.

Please continue to enjoy one of the finest firearms ever made...

WB

Registered
I have both a 228 and a 229 Elite. Truly, except for collector's value, the 229 is superior. People love the old German made pistols, but the US made are superior in almost every way - from the milled SS slide (vs stamped carbon steel) to the light/accy rail, better ergonomics, increased capacity, etc. I'd keep the 228 as an investment and upgrade to a new 229. Just my 2 cents. And you know what they say....opinions are like.....;)

41 - 58 of 58 Posts